Petrol Tank Capacity Question

I let my tank run right to the bottom this week to clean out some crap petrol I had to put in on holiday....I put £10 of high octane in and it filled 1/4 of the tank (according to the guage)....I am at a loss as to how it subesquently takes £70 to £80 to fill it...doesn't make sense.....I'm sure there is a technical reason for this. Any ideas?

Probably something to do with the shape of it perhaps? Narrower towards the bottom perhaps? Just a pure guess.

Running it down you've probably got more in there than you think.

I've noticed on mine as it gets towards the red part of gauge and i put say £30 in, it goes up to 3/4 full.

But filling up from near red it can take £60 worth easy.

ran mine to the top of the red last week and put in jsut short of £70!!!

tank is approx 12gallon but if you brim it you could in theory put more in as you are also filling the filler neck

as for the guage it will read empty sooner so you dont run out of petrol to soon when its on/in the red

...on the Meg the petrol guage drops to complete empty as soon as the bleeper sounds....which can be a suprose cos one minute your just above the red and the next you are empty....first time that happened I thought I had a leak!!

When mine reaches -- -- I still have 60 miles left. When the needle is at the bottom of the red there is still some left.

renault told me when your range display goes down to 0, you have another 30 left to get to a filling station

Thats good to know, i had mine down to 4 once before finding a petrol station, was starting to touch cloth :rofl: