Nicole.R - 01.02.2014 *SOLD*...

Cheers Rich, I checked up on the Yuasa website and the batteries they produce for Golf Buggies are the EXACT, to the MM same size as the expensive ''motorsport'' ones and have the same outputs, massive saving to be had there hahaha!!! They're around the £30 mark too, much better than £100+ from Demon Tweeks etc..

I was thinking of being creative with the mounting... I reckon I could mount the battery on the underside of the original battery tray. At the moment, the resonator for the induction system sits underneath there and that's roughly the size of the OEM battery so there's more than enough room as long as I can figure out a way of securing it well. Plus, it should mean I won't need to extend the wiring either!!! :smile:

06 June 2011;

Opie Oils; Ordered Millers Oils Racing Brake Fluid 300.

Should be fitting my HEL Hoses at long last (been sat in the shed since January) in the next week or so with some more goodies (see below). I've been using this fluid since January now and I've given it a good test around Oulton Park as well as a fair bit of abuse on blasts out. Not had any fade issues yet (OEM Pads & Discs also replaced in January) and I'd recommend this fluid to anybody. It's DOT 4.0+, but is actually a higher spec' than a lot of DOT 5.1 stuff. Needless to say, I made full use of our club discount with Opie Oils.

07 June 2011;

Motorsport World; Ordered H&R -35mm/-40mm Springs.

World Of Parts Ltd; Ordered Renaultsport 197 Cup Dampers.

I can't rate Garry at Motorsport World highly enough, he initially told me that there would be a 7-10 day wait for the Springs as they have to order them from Germany... But then an hour ago he sent me a message to say he'd managed to track down a set for me and they'll be here by dinnertime tomorrow. They don't quite have the range of stock as Demon Tweeks, but they p!ss all over them in terms of customer service.

Likewise, Nicola at World Of Parts is an absolute gem and despite me threatening to order the Dampers off her for the last year but continually having to put it off, she hasn't once been funny with me and I'll be going to pick my Dampers up on Saturday. I'm also going to have a nosey at some Megane 225 mud guards whilst I'm there which we think will fit the 197 sideskirts perfectly... If they do then I'll be getting a set painted Deep Black, bit of a different slant on the whole mud guard idea. :wink:

In short, today has been good. :smiley:

Last edited:
23 June 2011;

Northwest Performance; Fitted HEL Hoses, H&R Springs -35mm/-40mm and Renaultsport 197 Cup Dampers.

More great service from Alan and Ryan at Northwest Performance. I dropped Nicole off yesterday afternoon and collected her today. My immediate impressions were that she now looked a lot more squat and pretty damn mean... I took the scenic route home.

Here's a few quick before/afters;

20110623-01.jpg

20110623-02.jpg

20110623-03.jpg

20110623-04.jpg

The brakes don't feel much different, the pedal maybe feels a bit firmer which is nice but I think with Hoses you don't really notice much until you take the car on track or give it a real beasting. No doubt they'll be better than the rubber ones though. The Springs & Dampers have made a big difference, I'm really quite surprised. Nicole feels a lot smoother now over bumps and pocks in the road without being too harsh and the difference in cornering performance is quite scary to be honest. Very flat. Perfect.

Looks great. Is it any harder? Or bumpier? Or is this what you mean by smoother?

Cheers Arran. :smile:

It's hard to describe... By smoother I mean that little bumps that used to make the car skip a little don't have that effect anymore. Particularly on the rear, sometimes it felt as if the rear was skipping along behind me whereas now it just tucks in and does as it's told. No odd bouncing about or anything like that no, the springs feel very well matched to the dampers and on first impressions everything feels a lot more planted. Harder? Definately. But not uncomfortable. We have some speed bumps on our road which I always take at 10-15MPH and they don't feel any worse than they usually do at the same speed.

Cheers Luke!!! :smile:

Yeah, they seem to work very well, better than I expected to be honest. Once I've done some pottering about on them to get used to it then I'll get a better idea... I'll report back after the blast out on Sunday. I did take some measurements from the bottom of the arch to the centre of the hub and at the moment they've dropped the height by -30mm on the front and -35mm on the rear, so slightly less than described but they'll probably settle some more yet. I'll also get some wider angle shots with the whole of her in view. :smile:

Last edited:
Cheers Gandy!!! :smile:

The HELs and fluid will make a nice difference. Are you planning on any trackdays?

Yeah, you'll get that from the new fluid. Takes the spongey-nes sout of the pedal.

I'm using Millers Oils Race Fluid 300 Plus, around £12.00/500ml from Opie Oils and it's doing me proud.

thats where i'll be going, they did a great job getting me some new Fuchs oil, so will readily go back to them

Some more feedback on the suspension setup from my commute today... I've noticed that the little creaks and squeaks in the cabin are a bit more pronounced now, but to be honest I'm not sure if that's just me listening extra carefully in order to give some more feedback hahaha!!! I'm feeling a blast up The Cat & Fiddle later if it doesn't p!ss down though...

cool car mate, looks much meaner on the new suspension.
Maybe I should try changing the brake fluid in mine to try firm the pedal up, seems like it does the trick :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions