My 200 found on you tube driving by renault/ 5th gear

Hmm...Renault Seafield Edinburgh?

Make sense now. I went to see it a few weeks before you bought it.

When I asked for a test drive the dealer was extremly hesitant and refused, even after me asking a good few times. I ended up walking off the forecourt and going elsewhere.

So if he wasnt willing to let me test drive then he obv knew it was a bit of a shanner...and there were issues that I would notice and not buy the car because of this.

Cars are generally sold as seen and I rather suspect you have signed a contract to that effect. You're never going to know any vehicle's full history when you're buying second hand and whilst I'm sure the dealer will honour anything redeemable under warranty, I'm not convinced that they would refund you unless there's a 'cooling off' period. I'm sure that once these few niggles are sorted though, you'll be happy in the knowledge that Phil Glew (ex Time Attack champ) and Jason Plato helped with the 'running in'.

Whilst it's good to vent on a forum, you're never going to get the advice you need.

Speak to trading standards and get your legal standpoint. Armed with this, go to the dealer.

Good luck. I think you may have grounds for handing it back but you're going to have to be 100% with your facts when you walk through that door and be prepared to spend all day there, as they're going to fight tooth and nail.

Was the car bought on finance and are you still within the cooling off period? sorry if this has already been mentioned I havn't read every word.

Cant see how this is a real problem. Like with any second hand car, you dont know its last owner. My 197 Cup was sold as a one lady owner, yet it had goodridge lines on it! Sold as seen really, how could a garage declare all history for all its cars? They cant.

There was only one owner before me n that was Ruk n yip its on finance and its still in the cooling off period n people might not no the history of there car but a do got proof of it so i have a good point to say to them a see what they have to say about it and theres no way that can get out of it

Cant see how this is a real problem. Like with any second hand car, you dont know its last owner. My 197 Cup was sold as a one lady owner, yet it had goodridge lines on it! Sold as seen really, how could a garage declare all history for all its cars? They cant.

Yeah, I'll go along with that. The car will have been driven hard, but serviced well. Make sure you get the full use of your warranty for every little thing you think is / might be wrong. If they get sniffy, show them the video.

Majority of the cars will be fine, but the dealers clearly knew something was up with this as they refused to let me test drive it!!

I agree with who ever mentioned trading standards.

I'd go for that tbh, they will tell you clearly where you stand and what your entitled to.

Let us know how you get on matey

Y wud trading standards get involved. The contract was signed before a test drive??

Cars are generally sold as seen and I rather suspect you have signed a contract to that effect. You're never going to know any vehicle's full history when you're buying second hand and whilst I'm sure the dealer will honour anything redeemable under warranty, I'm not convinced that they would refund you unless there's a 'cooling off' period. I'm sure that once these few niggles are sorted though, you'll be happy in the knowledge that Phil Glew (ex Time Attack champ) and Jason Plato helped with the 'running in'.

Sold as seen??? No such thing. Weather you're buying off a Ferrari Dealer or a trader working on his driveway.

I've had a thought, is this the same car that 5th gear also used up against a focus rs?

I'm sure that was a an alien green one too?

Y wud trading standards get involved. The contract was signed before a test drive??

Woody, people are coming up with ideas to help the kid out.

Is worth a go I think. You never know what they might say.

I'm trying to think of some more ideas that haven't already been mentioned.

I'd try the dealer first and see what they say, if they are funny with you try RUK, if they are funny with you then try trading standards IMO

I hope this helps

Tbf press cars are normally really well looked after, fully loaded and well built so they don't fall apart when the likes of clarkson get hold of them and slag them off.

Means it's been run in well

I'm sorry, but all these people banging on about trading standards... WTF are you on about??

The dealership never hid anything from him. They never lied. If he'd have gone in, and said ''Hello, i'd like to buy that green clio. Has it had its tits thrashed off by Top gear or fifth gear?'' and they said No sir, it hasn't. Then he'd have a case.

But it was a secondhand car that was owned previously by someone who lent it to the press or whatever.

I don't mean to sound rude, but dry your eyes. The cars not going to fall apart because of it (It will do that anyway, its french) and Renault will honour any warranty that remains on the car as legally they are obliged to.

Stop worrying about it and just enjoy the car!

I can see that the dealer would know, it like Vauxhall with their network Q cars. They are out on network Q and they have now idea where it's comes from, could be a managers cars, courtesy car or even a press vehicle

Chill mate, it's only a discussion about possibilities. If someone posts on a forum asking for help, we try help them don't we?

I do and I think you should too.

I dot think you would be happy if your car had been ragged to death when you bought it and then you found out afterwards?

No you wouldn't.

Chill mate, it's only a discussion about possibilities. If someone posts on a forum asking for help, we try help them don't we?

I do and I think you should too.

I dot think you would be happy if your car had been ragged to death when you bought it and then you found out afterwards?

No you wouldn't.

I don't think it's that bad, most press vehicle produce more power than others

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Its a Hot Hatch. Thats what they're designed to have done to them.

Nobody has conned this guy. He wasn't duped into buying it. Nobody hid anything from him.

I'm just saying that legally there is nothing the dealership has to do. SO he shoud save himself the aggro and just enjoy the car for what it is. Hell, in a few years time, the fact its been on 5th gear may even make it more valuable!