Jason's R27 Team F1 Racing Blue

Total fustercluck mate. Must be frustrating. Feel for you buddy
It's horrible, it's nearly Christmas and I'm spending big money on bits of metal you can't see. I feel really guilty that my girls have to suffer because of my mistake.
It's tough seeing everyone spending money on the good stuff on their cars on here too, I'm proper stoked for them but envious too. :smile:

Reactions: Sean197
It's horrible, it's nearly Christmas and I'm spending big money on bits of metal you can't see. I feel really guilty that my girls have to suffer because of my mistake.
It's tough seeing everyone spending money on the good stuff on their cars on here too, I'm proper stoked for them but envious too. :smile:

Believe me mate, most if not everyone on here has had that 'oh fuck' moment with their clio when they've been hit with a big unexpected bill. Mine was 2 years ago, broken coil spring and 2 new front hub carriers. It's rubbish but look on the bright side, get it done now and it should be trouble free for the next few years at the very least. Doesn't make it easier to swallow now, but at least allows you to see the end of the tunnel.

Don't beat yourself up over this Jason, you haven't made a mistake. You've just been terribly unlucky. 99% of us would have bought that car feeling sure the belts had been done because of that invoice. You've been dealt a really nasty hand and it is just bad luck, that's all.

And to echo what @Sean197 said, yeah there are many of us who've been in that situation, me included. A big reason I don't spend more money on nice shiny bits is that constant nagging worry that something may go wrong and mean a big bill. All part of car ownership, and more so with a performance-oriented model.

have to say it is really hard not to spend money on upgrades but you do need to think of situations like this..a few quid on a side in case of an emergency...

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
Don't worry Jason. You will get it sorted and will fall in love again. These things happen we've all been there. When I got my 197 I had to do the cambelt, discs all round, service and mot in one pop, which was well over £1k.

Just caught up with this. This is such a shitty situation to be in, especially when a festive - and therefore expensive - season is around the corner.

Sorry to hear this mate and I honestly hope you'll get it sorted asap. Good shout regarding the water pump by the way but make sure you ask the garage which claimed they did the service whether they changed the water pump or not prior to releasing any info to them.

Out of curiosity, isn't the big service every 6 years now or am I mistaken?

You going to take this terrible situation as an opportunity to do a Meg conversion?

Or you just going to get it rebuilt?

This makes me even more concerned whether the belts were done on mine, as there is NO paperwork, only someones word that it was done last year.

I would probably help, if i knew where it was done. Paperwork,OR where the work was carried out would help, just for peace of mind. Litchy stated belts were done last year and if he could tell us where, i would be very grateful.

I would probably help, if i knew where it was done. Paperwork,OR where the work was carried out would help, just for peace of mind. Litchy stated belts were done last year and if he could tell us where, i would be very grateful.

I would imagine SC did them as they seemed to do all his work. You know my thoughts on SC so I'm not going to go into that again.
Looking at the water pump essentially means doing the belts again anyway, so for peace of mind I'd always err on the side of caution and do them if you're not sure. Better to spend £400 now rather than have the belt snap and cost a hell of a lot more later.

IMG_1965.PNG Ok back from NMS, these guys are excellent and this is the latest news. This is pictures of the belt, looks like a genuine part, defo not a year old?!

Really good to hear that the garage are looking after you Jason - it must be reassuring and hopefully giving you a bit of a boost that things are going in the right direction.

That belt looks knackered!

Ouch, I changed a timing belt on a Subaru that was at least 7+ years old and it looked brand new in comparison.

EDIT: I got my timing belt changed at Engine Dynamics today, which was 5+ years old (it was overdue). I should've really asked them to keep hold of the old belt to compare against yours. If you're interested I can give them a call.

Similar Thread Suggestions