Jason's R27 Team F1 Racing Blue

jasonlovesfrench

Paid Member
It's weird how things work out. I've spent literally my whole life of cars owning VW's, from post war Beetle's to Polo TDI's it's all I've ever had (except a Fiat Uno). My Polo 130 was getting boring and out of nowhere my next door neighbour managed to crash into it. That was it for me, I got to repaired and started thinking about a new car. I was talking to a petrol head friend at work and he mentioned the 197, said he had owned them and they were one of the best track/road hatch cars you could get.
One week later i'm on my way to view one (no intention of buying, just looking :smile: ) the misses hated the idea so took a little convincing. Needless to say I fell in love with the car, it was the F1 model number 139 so was full spec, everything worked and bar a few stone chips and a worn seat its perfect'ish. The milage was higher than I wanted at 87k but it had full service history, and I mean full, so I kinda felt ok about it. The guy who owned it worked for an F1 Racing team, and was only selling to fund a new BMW. With all this considered I went for it, took a gamble on the 1st one id seen, it felt right although I wouldn't say its the best way i'm happy with my car.

The push button start, keyless entry, auto lights, auto wipers, and all the other perks of the F1 are simply stunning, i've owned this car a few weeks and it literally has blown me away, it has this way of making you feel special, despite it's saggy glovebox and faint promise of steering rack blues. :smile:

I'm still getting to know it but from what i've seen it has some K-Tec goodies, LED bulb upgrades and a rather nice Sony HU with handsfree all plumbed in, there could well be speaker upgrades as I haven't checked but it sounds great. My initial plan is a visit to the body shop and get the rear bumper resprayed as its a chipped in two places and rubbed on the bottom. (It's there now) it's also having two alloys refurbed as they had a couple of marks. I then need to get a spot on the passenger Recaro sorted due to wear.

First picture (before body shop work)
View attachment 15159

I dont have any huge plans for mods right now, I want to get new tyres all round and keep up its perfect service record it's due in 6k miles. I might also look into the steering rack click issue, it's early to tell but i'm pretty sure it clicks now and then at parking speed. I'd like some of those £120 RS rubber mat sets but I'll see what happens, I need to own it and drive it longer to see if it needs the niggles that normally appear fixed before thinking about mods. I'm looking forward to getting it back freshly painted and i'll get a proper set of pictures up. Anyhow, thanks for reading and having me around the forum.

Last edited:
Good read and lovely car. Colour is superb. lol :smile: You sound like your really enthusiastic about it. Thats genuinely great to see.

What exactly is different on the spec of an F1 compared to a "normal" 197 ? (The features you listed are all standard on mine (200) for example which clearly isn't an F1 !).

You've got Recaro's im guessing - which are standard in an F1. What else is over and above......?

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
Good read and lovely car. Colour is superb. lol :smile: You sound like your really enthusiastic about it. Thats genuinely great to see.

What exactly is different on the spec of an F1 compared to a "normal" 197 ? (The features you listed are all standard on mine (200) for example which clearly isn't an F1 !).

You've got Recaro's im guessing - which are standard in an F1. What else is over and above......?
I guess when the F1's were released it was the introduction of the cup chassis and the other features were not standard on the 197 until after the F1 i thought?

Reactions: sevenfourate
The longer you own it the more you will come to love it. Glad you found your way to this site, plenty of information for you to get to know more about the cars and find the solutions to them niggles!

Enjoy and keep us updated :smile:

I guess when the F1's were released it was the introduction of the cup chassis and the other features were not standard on the 197 until after the F1 i thought?

Correct f1s brought cup chassis, recaros, Ly paint, anthracite wheels. However all the bells and whistles were already standard (wipers lights mirrors etc) in standard 197s.

glad you enjoy it mate..they do grow on you..i've owned mine for over 3 years now but everytime i lock the door i look back and my heart jumps up and down,my heart rate shoots up and i just want to get back in and drive it again..
not after a long drive to Czech though :poke:

Car looks stunning!!

I've always been a ford fan boy and still am, but as you say the Clio is an awesome car for what you/I need does everything you want and can't fault it!

Love it!!

Nice write up Jason. As you know I'm new to the 197 and love mine too. I've wanted one for years but I'm a fussy bugger and wanted the right one. I looked at a 197 5 years ago but ended up buying a 182 Cup in Racing Blue with 12k miles on it (which I still own today). Driving the 2 cars side by side I think the 182 is a better drivers car but the R27 is a nicer daily driver. Although I drive the 182 as my daily and keep the R27 for special days. I found a Racing Blue R27 locally 2 years ago but thought the price at the time was a bit steep, thought about it a bit longer then missed out on it. Saw it been driven a couple of months later and decided it defo was a R27 I wanted. Looked at a few 'pristine', 'mint' and 'best in the U.K.' examples only to be let down, thought my chance had gone then whilst on holiday and scanning Piston Heads found my Liquid Yellow R27 with 15k miles! Over the moon with it so far, it's one of they cars you walk away from it and can't help turning round to give it another look. Mine has no option extras although it does have the Cup rear spoiler and front RS splitter.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Nice write up Jason. As you know I'm new to the 197 and love mine too. I've wanted one for years but I'm a fussy bugger and wanted the right one. I looked at a 197 5 years ago but ended up buying a 182 Cup in Racing Blue with 12k miles on it (which I still own today). Driving the 2 cars side by side I think the 182 is a better drivers car but the R27 is a nicer daily driver. Although I drive the 182 as my daily and keep the R27 for special days. I found a Racing Blue R27 locally 2 years ago but thought the price at the time was a bit steep, thought about it a bit longer then missed out on it. Saw it been driven a couple of months later and decided it defo was a R27 I wanted. Looked at a few 'pristine', 'mint' and 'best in the U.K.' examples only to be let down, thought my chance had gone then whilst on holiday and scanning Piston Heads found my Liquid Yellow R27 with 15k miles! Over the moon with it so far, it's one of they cars you walk away from it and can't help turning round to give it another look. Mine has no option extras although it does have the Cup rear spoiler and front RS splitter.
Cool, I think I saw that LY with 15k miles for sale just before I got my RB, yours must be the lowest mileage F1 left surely? You must be over the moon with it.

The original owner was a member on here and had a V6 also, aswell as Peugeot race cars. It has done all the shows and is immaculate. Was sold to the previous owner who done 3k miles in 4-5 months but wasn't for him. A few phone calls later and a bit of negotiation later and it was on a trailer to Glasgow. It has the original tyres with plenty of tread left! The only mods were a stubby aerial (replaced with original) KTR filter (changed for an ITG) and Superchips BluFin map. All I've done is fitted LED interior bulbs, sidelights and numberplate bulbs, clean gel numberplates and Renaultsport mats. It will be left at that.

The original owner was a member on here and had a V6 also, aswell as Peugeot race cars. It has done all the shows and is immaculate. Was sold to the previous owner who done 3k miles in 4-5 months but wasn't for him. A few phone calls later and a bit of negotiation later and it was on a trailer to Glasgow. It has the original tyres with plenty of tread left! The only mods were a stubby aerial (replaced with original) KTR filter (changed for an ITG) and Superchips BluFin map. All I've done is fitted LED interior bulbs, sidelights and numberplate bulbs, clean gel numberplates and Renaultsport mats. It will be left at that.
Awesome, are you coming to the Christmas meal?

Really like the gloss black alloys on the Racing Blue. I'm not sure why but I don't like the black diamonds on the Clios unless it's the 200T.

Really like the gloss black alloys on the Racing Blue. I'm not sure why but I don't like the black diamonds on the Clio's unless it's the 200T.
The finish is called smoke chrome apparently, when I have the car back and they are refurbed I'll get some new pics up. I think Id prefer them silver :smile:

Very nice car mate, can't wait to see how this thread progresses. Everybody says they don't have much planned, we'll see how long that lasts! Lol.

Great read Jason and good to see you're very happy with the change to Renault ownership! Definitely addictive cars, they really do grow on you, despite the niggles! I've found there's always something lurking, threatening to drain your wallet (like your worrying with the rack), all part of Renault ownership though!

Great read Jason and good to see you're very happy with the change to Renault ownership! Definitely addictive cars, they really do grow on you, despite the niggles! I've found there's always something lurking, threatening to drain your wallet (like your worrying with the rack), all part of Renault ownership though!
I'm not going to worry until it happens lol - i'm sure winter will bring some issues for me :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions