Argh! Keycard packed up

but why put a slot there if it handsfree? i always assumed that the handsfree was just the walk upto the car and it unlocks.

nope its also so you dont have to touch the keycard to start the car ie "handsfree"

normal reanults and meganes have keycards that you have to put in the slot

the slot in the dash is also used so the steering lock can remain off etc

good point, but does the car lock itself when you walk away? because i always use the buttons on the card? maybe its just a sync thing when its stops seeing the card?

but having a "rechargeable" battery in a "handsfree" card defeats the idea of handsfree ie you have to put it in the slot for it to be charged up.....

I agree, but if there are 2 batteries in the card...one of them might be rechargable...but then again...it doesn't make sense to me. I still think it's:

1. Due to long inactivity the card itself probably shut down in order to save the battery so it only needed the "wake-up call" from the car - the slot

good point, but does the car lock itself when you walk away? because i always use the buttons on the card? maybe its just a sync thing when its stops seeing the card?

You can program the car to do just that. I use the buttons on the door knob.

No, please don't try walking away and leaving it, it doesn't work. Mercedes did this when keyless was first introduced. But people weren't trusting it to just lock the car as they walked away. So they would go and check if it was locked. But then it unlocks too. So you have to trust it. But if the battery fails, how do you know if it's locked or not? By pushing the button, you hear, see and feel it's locked. On my Mazda you have to push the button to get in too.

I'm a total noob, we've only got the car a few days ago, do all the 197s have this keyless thing or was it an option.

So far we've always used the buttons on the card to open and lock the doors and put the card in the slot to start the car, haven't tried it without, and can't test it now as its in the garage getting a few minor niggles sorted that I wanted fixed!

I'm a total noob, we've only got the car a few days ago, do all the 197s have this keyless thing or was it an option.

So far we've always used the buttons on the card to open and lock the doors and put the card in the slot to start the car, haven't tried it without, and can't test it now as its in the garage getting a few minor niggles sorted that I wanted fixed!

197/200cup (black trim and no air con) have a normal ignition key

new meganes have walk away handsfree it's gotta be one of my favourite toys , it locks, folds in the mirrors flashes the indicators and sets the alarm too . i doubt i could go back to pressing buttons to lock it or tbh turning on my headlights with a switch ( whats all that about :jedi:) sorry i just wanted to use the jedi smiley