Argh! Keycard packed up

The keycard has two batteries, one is that which you have changed and unlocks the doors. The other is a rechargeable battery that is charged by putting the card in the slot underneath the center console whilst you are driving.

There have been a few posts on this, totally suprised me when I heard of it.

The keycard has two batteries, one is that which you have changed and unlocks the doors. The other is a rechargeable battery that is charged by putting the card in the slot underneath the center console whilst you are driving.

There have been a few posts on this, totally suprised me when I heard of it.

I have heard the same but i dont understand how it can charge as there are no contacts on the card to take the charge.

My thoughts exactly Paul, someone explained it as conductive charging, a bit like that new duracell conductive magic charging electrickary pad.

My thoughts exactly Paul, someone explained it as conductive charging, a bit like that new duracell conductive magic charging electrickary pad.

Oh right...

Well mine will prob run out then because one keycard has been locked in the house safe since day one and the second has never been out of my wallet (a bit like my money, thought id get that in before someone else did lol)

Lol, same here mate only that my wallet gets emptied daily by my wife and the local Shell garage.

I keep meaning to put the card in the slot but always forget. Its the same when I drive the wifes car, I either forget to turn the lights on our leave the key in it and start to walk off.

thank you all for the info - makes sense as she has such a big bunch of keys/rings that the keys are normally just chucked in the console and not in the slot !

Lol, same here mate only that my wallet gets emptied daily by my wife and the local Shell garage.

I keep meaning to put the card in the slot but always forget. Its the same when I drive the wifes car, I either forget to turn the lights on our leave the key in it and start to walk off.

+1 :smiley:

I had this "door battery" replaced after +3 years.

I have to admit I have to say I'm not convinced by this whole 2nd battery thats charged wirelessly malarky, I mean how does it work for starters and secondly why would you bother, surely it'd be easier and cheaper just to have a battery which you replace would it not?

I have to admit I have to say I'm not convinced by this whole 2nd battery thats charged wirelessly malarky, I mean how does it work for starters and secondly why would you bother, surely it'd be easier and cheaper just to have a battery which you replace would it not?

Adds to the whole cool effect of having a keycard... putting it in a chargable key slot makes it that bit more techy (if it does what its claimed to do)

wireless/contactless charging does work and is used by other car makers...ford for one uses it on the newest cars

as for the key card in the renault handsfree system....not so sure it has a "chargable" battery...

An interesting thing happened yesterday.

I didn't use my car for 5 days and yesterday when I tried to open the doors I couldn't. My card couldnt be detected so I had to use the key in the card. I couldn't even start the car without putting the card in the slot.

However - after a short drive with the card in the slot, I didn't have no problems since.

I have a fresh battery in the card (bought it a month ago).

My thoughts are:

1. Due to long inactivity the card itself probably shut down in order to save the battery so it only needed the "wake-up call" from the car - the slot
2. There really is a rechargeable second battery and it was emptied - but I hardly ever put the card in the slot - 99% of the time it's in my wallet.

:huh:

but having a "rechargeable" battery in a "handsfree" card defeats the idea of handsfree ie you have to put it in the slot for it to be charged up.....

but why put a slot there if it handsfree? i always assumed that the handsfree was just the walk upto the car and it unlocks.