200t tested with pics

Meaning Renault haven't built a car to satisfy the majority of the enthusiasts market.

If they'd done it properly, there would have been more than 1 member with a new era of RS instead of a growing collection of ST owners.

I had a few cars I could have bought. I bought the 4RS as it did everything I wanted it to do

Its not everyone's taste. To be honest I like the fact that they are none about

Renault changed from the hardcore focused car appealing to the niche market or Renault Sport enthusiasts and tried to appeal to a wider market.

Owner of Renault garages told me this was the plan for the new clio months before anything was released and there was just speculation of a new clio RS coming. Can remember having a convo with he son about it also.

My opinion is that Ford with the Fiesta ST have done a good job with marketing, getting the cars out rather than huge delays, plus you have the bonus or the warranty approved Mountune package. All on a car that costs less.

Had the Fiesta ST not been released would things have been different? EG: more people on this forum going for the new 200T instead

Im afraid i feel the same, its not like this forum is excited about the 200T. not bashing it just think they moved away from the hard core fans. unless they will release some cup version which will have recaros and a more "hardcore" setup.
similar stuff is happening on the civic type r forums, people are not excited as Honda moved away from their famous VTEC screamers and opted for a 1.6 turbo, very unhappy fans.

No one has popped up and said they've got one on order tho.

Anyone who has upgraded recently, including yourself, has gone with an ST or a Meg pretty much.

I think if you want a car you'll wait for it, but we're definitely not seeing that here. And we're all supposed to be RS enthusiasts.

The problem is they have made a car which although may be appealing to drive is very mediocre in appearance, has taken a battering in the popular motoring reviews, is very expensive against better and cheaper competition and is disadvantaged at the outset by being French built. No matter how it drives you sit it on the forecourt at Evans Halshaw and it looks like a 10k car but costs 21k. A year ago you drove past the same dealership and the LY and AG 200 stood out....and still do. Renault have lost the edge with this car in trying to seek the middle ground and making it broadly popular. In doing so they have lost the enthusiast but equally failed to attract the broader audience. They really need to knock on the door of Fords Marketing dept who without doubt have managed to kick the Clio into the long grass.

It is a shame, the Clio held the hot hatch crown for a long time now though. Hopefully some healthy competition from an old rival can force Renault to revamp the brand for the people who actually buy the cars.

I dont think that's down to choice tbh. Only 270 have been ordered for the UK, and I think 265 of them have experienced delays in the build process.

Is it only 270 so far then? The R27 is supposed to be a limited edition and they are more than that! Having said that, 197 cups are less than the R27s lol

No matter how it drives you sit it on the forecourt at Evans Halshaw and it looks like a 10k car but costs 21k.

Now this is an exaggeration right?

I quite like them and would have waited to get one but only if it had a proper gearbox :worried:
This also put me off despite everyone I've spoken to about the car saying it's fantastic.
Lovely looking car tbh, the price tag and lack of Recaro's is a bit disappointing considering it's current competition.
Hopefully like a few others have said they'll release a more hardcore option and I'll pick one up second hand in a few years time if I don't decide to Meg engine the clio or simply upgrade to a 265.

I've seen the car and it reflects what a modern day hot hatch needs to appeal to - Families. The Rs is just evolution based on market forces and accounts balance sheets

Also, I think you buy a car that reflects your personal circumstance and thats not static and constantly changes. If I was single, I'd have a Lotus Exige or anything 2 seater on my (parents) drive because trust me, they'll come a time that you will have to consider other priorities rather than your own. The 200T the more I think about it, is pitched about right against the current backdrop.

You young single men without children...you always have the option to just keep or buy a 200. They are certainly now cheap enough....just allow us older ones, with children and wifes/girlfriends to be kept happy (for now) by being accommodated by Renault nicely with the 200T.

We will return and turn up at meets in our V6 Clio's.....Isn't that where all over the 40's RS owners end up. I've seen them at FCS reflecting on the days when they were young, free and single enough to own a Clio 182/197/200!!! lol

Last edited:
I've seen the car and it reflects what a modern day hot hatch needs to appeal to - Families. The Rs is just evolution based on market forces and accounts balance sheets

Also, I think you buy a car that reflects your personal circumstance and thats not static and constantly changes. If I was single, I'd have a Lotus Exige or anything 2 seater on my (parents) drive because trust me, they'll come a time that you will have to consider other priorities rather than your own. The 200T the more I think about it, is pitched about right against the current backdrop.

You young single men without children...you always have the option to just keep or buy a 200. They are certainly now cheap enough....just allow us older ones, with children and wifes/girlfriends to be kept happy (for now) by being accommodated by Renault nicely with the 200T.

We will return and turn up at meets in our V6 Clio's.....Isn't that where all over the 40's RS owners end up. I've seen them at FCS reflecting on the days when they were young, free and single enough to own a Clio 182/197/200!!! lol

This makes me feel sad. Why are we encouraged to give up on fun things when we have a house/wife/kids? Sod that. I'll just work harder, thankyou.

Anyway, if I want a sensible child transporter, I'll buy a Hyundai estate with a 5 year warranty etc etc. BUT, I will also have a fun car in the garage, a Clio 200, a Caterham, Elise, whatever.

The point is that neither my fun car or my child mover will be a 200T - I dont understand the compromise and at £21k I've got better options for either of these duties. Further to this, if we only had one car for all duties, it still wouldnt be a £21k 200T........but it might be a £10k 2year old 200T.

I'm not 200T bashing - it will suit somebody. Hardly anybody actually, but somebody. I just think it's a shame for Renault.

This makes me feel sad. Why are we encouraged to give up on fun things when we have a house/wife/kids? Sod that. I'll just work harder, thankyou.

Anyway, if I want a sensible child transporter, I'll buy a Hyundai estate with a 5 year warranty etc etc. BUT, I will also have a fun car in the garage, a Clio 200, a Caterham, Elise, whatever.

The point is that neither my fun car or my child mover will be a 200T - I dont understand the compromise and at £21k I've got better options for either of these duties. Further to this, if we only had one car for all duties, it still wouldnt be a £21k 200T........but it might be a £10k 2year old 200T.

I'm not 200T bashing - it will suit somebody. Hardly anybody actually, but somebody. I just think it's a shame for Renault.

yes agreed- just because you need to be "responsible" does not mean super car companies should start to release 5 door versions, each buy what suits them.

I think they look fantastic as well, granted they could of done a bit more with the styling to make it stand out more from a normal clio, but then what do I know I've just brought a new fiesta st lol, I'd of had a clio no question about it, but what made me go for the fiesta was the fact I got mine for £16500, and there wasn't problems with ordering to deliveries like the clio, is the clio worth £3k more than the fiesta, IMO no it isn't, I'm waiting for the phase 2 mk4 clio RS.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C200MOJO Spotted 0
Nickyandalanrs200 Clio 200T Area 2
PpAbarth Spotted 0
PpAbarth New Members 0
Foxspeed Clio General Chat 2