06 Albi Blue 197

Just found a guy in Castleford who can strip, refurb and powder coat my wheels for £120/set, quite chuffed with that! Just need to get the tyres removed from the spare set now.

At a bit of a loose end on Saturday, so I decided to remove my diffuser and try to repair the clips; when I got the car, the diffuser wasn't level, and it appeared that some of the clips on one side might be broken.

Found the guide, removed the two torx screws, then proceeded to shear off one of the captive retaining bolts at the front, which then meant that I had to get the other one off two so I could actually remove the thing, so that one got sheared off too.

Removed the diffuser and found all of the clips at least partly intact, but many were folded down, suggesting that the previous effort to fit had been a bit half arsed. Cleaned up the diffuser and took the car to the garage this morning, where I also had some chromed slash cut tail pipe trims fitted.

2010-08-02002a.jpg

2010-08-02007.jpg

I think I quite like them, but it would appear that the back box needs adjusting slightly to level them out, which I guess will have to wait until I am brave enough to remove the diffuser again. I wanted something to draw a bit of attention to the exhaust, but was reluctant to go for the RS trims as they aren't cheap, and some have suggested "wheel barrow handles", so I figured some slash cut trims would look ok.

Also this weekend it got it's first polish in my care, just a quickie with SRP, mostly just to get rid of tar spots, but it came up well. Also had another small dent removed that I had noticed last time it was on the lift.

Any comments or criticisms always welcomed, especially with regard to the exhaust.

i think they have got to be the best looking tail pipes that i have seen mate,

very nice,

i want some, lol

I really like the exhausts, but I will criticise you refering to people calling the exhaust trims 'wheel barrow handles'! lol! I like them on my car, but I know there are a few people who don't share the same view as me.

Car is looking good.

Mini update, though no pics yet.

Fitted some of the silicon hoses that Jase was kind enough to sell me, also fitted the footrest - cheated with that though as I hacksawed off most of the protruding rivets and just fixed it in place with the velcro that was already on the back, looks good though!

I have also just bought some used two piece AP discs, which came with some DS2500 pads; while they are a bit worn, I might give them a try if only to see how the DS2500's compare to standard. Also got some black speedlines with 888's on them, and have booked my first track day at Cadwell, so v. excited about that, just hope it stays dry, otherwise the Conti's will get a pounding.

Pics soon!

Mini update, though no pics yet.

Fitted some of the silicon hoses that Jase was kind enough to sell me, also fitted the footrest - cheated with that though as I hacksawed off most of the protruding rivets and just fixed it in place with the velcro that was already on the back, looks good though!

I have also just bought some used two piece AP discs, which came with some DS2500 pads; while they are a bit worn, I might give them a try if only to see how the DS2500's compare to standard. Also got some black speedlines with 888's on them, and have booked my first track day at Cadwell, so v. excited about that, just hope it stays dry, otherwise the Conti's will get a pounding.

Pics soon!

You'd be surprised at how well the 888s perform in the wet mate. We were at Silverstone on Wednesday with them and they were superb. This was the weather:

DSC00532.jpg

Also. After your first trackday, you'll be addicted :smiley:

I don't doubt it, I have been to the Nuerburgring a few times and love that, but it is bloody expensive, even before taking parts into account. I am taking my Dad and reckon I need to get him to bear some of the costs!

2010-08-09001.jpg

Stack of Speedlines, w/888's, and a couple of spare standard wheels

2010-08-09002.jpg

Two piece grooved discs

Planning on getting the MoT done on Weds, I was going to take the car on the 888's, but given the forecast for heavy rain, I don't think I will bother. With a bit of luck though I might also get the discs fitted and the exhaust straightened (tips not quite level).

Last edited:
Car sailed through the MoT yesterday, unfortunately the garage was busy, so I didn't get chance to get the discs fitted or exhaust aligned any better, but hope to get that done next time.

On the way home I dropped some wheels off for powder coating, and have high hopes for the results!

Glad the car passed. It's always nice to know the car sailed through too, you never have the small problem in the back of your mind then do you. Like my old Clio had an advisory on the discs being slightly worn. It was always in the back of my mind, right up until I traded it in! Lol!

I like those disc btw, I wouldn't mind some like that myself. Are they KTR?

I was looking at the standard discs with the wheel off the other day and they seem pretty meaty and have good vents, but the grooves look great and must help no end to get the heat out.

Right now I am really impressed with the standard setup, but these came up and I thought why not! I also have some Endless race pads which I am keen to have a go with, and figured these should compliment them well.

Well done on the discs mate, you'll love them.

DS2500 with them are a good set-up but I'd change your fluid at the same time as the standard fluid isn't up to much, especially if it's not been done from new.

Went and collected my powder coated wheels yesterday, really nice job, definately recommend LSN Coatings in Castleford. I will probably also get my inlet coated once I have had some work done on it, not sure what colour though, possibly anthracite.

Anyhow, here are the wheels after a coat of Auto Glym SRP, and with the TPMS sensors fitted;

2010-08-25007.jpg

2010-08-25001.jpg

2010-08-25008.jpg

Hoping to get these fitted over the next couple of days. Not quite worked out where to put the display for the TPMS yet, but I am pondering it.

Booked on a track evening next week, so I really want to get the new discs on, ideally with some hotter pads. To this end I have ordered another brake consumables kit (anti-rattle clip & two retaining pins), along with some spare bleed nipples, and also some more (anthracite) centre caps to go on my (black) Speedlines.

Last edited:
They look good. Are they darker than the Renault anth wheels or about the same? I've thought about getting mine done, but I think I'm going to wait until next year now. Spent enough on the car this year so far especially with the spoiler I've just ordered!

Cheers guys, I compared a wheel that they had already done (RS182 wheel) with one of mine pre-repair, and the colour was very similar.

The flash, angle and artificial light make them seem darker than they are.