06 Albi Blue 197

Some readers may have seen my newbie post, apologies for the duplication.

From around Oct 08 to June 10, I was running a Ford Puma, which I did loads with, before one day just deciding that it was time to call it a day. I was about to embark on more spending, one a new LSD equipped gearbox, some paint, alcantara trimmed wheel, etc. and came to the conclusion that unless I was going to keep it for some time, then I should just put it back to standard and sell it, then use the cash for something newer and more potent.

21-03-2009002a.jpg

FRPInlet012.jpg

11-04-10001.jpg

Highlights included retrimmed Recaro's, FRP engine, 300mm front brakes, 270mm rear disc conversion, Milltek 4-2-1 with sport cat, and various detail improvements.

Fortunately my mother decided she fancied it, so I didn't put it quite back to standard, and before I knew it, I didn't have a car, other than a 1995 Clio 1.9D Bebop (with PAS!).

Clio005a.jpg

While the Bebop is a great little truck, it isn't exactly an object of desire. Within about 48hrs I was desperate for something more interesting. On Monday I missed out on a Focus RS (by about £1,500) and a 53 plate 330d (by £350), which I wasn't that disappointed about as it was dark green with cloth, and while it would undoubtedly have been a great car, it just didn't excite me. I managed to avoid the bid button for a couple of days, in the hope of borrowing a '99 306 GTi-6 for a few months from my best friend who is a trader, but the rotten sod sold it last night. I really want a Z4, but it is totally the wrong time of year, so I told my friend that I wanted something I could smoke around in for 3 months or so that wouldn't loose too much cash, and he suggested this 197, which he had just bought. Before I committed, I had a punt at a well spec'd 05 plate MCS, but it went for silly money, so I figured I might as well have a punt at this.

197001a.jpg

197003.jpg

197004a.jpg

197002.jpg

I bought it unseen, 06/56, 80k, 1 owner, in need of 4 wheel refurbs, various marks around the bodywork, some wear to the drivers seat, 1 key, part SH.

When I collected it, I discovered that actual spec as follows;
  • Cabasse
  • Auto climate
  • Xenons
  • Smoked rear windows

On the plus side, in addition to spec.
  • 4 x matching nearly new Yoko's
  • RFT to 9/10
  • Full SH, inc. belts
  • 2 keys (one needed a new battery)
  • Bodywork better than described

On the down side;
  • Keyless locking button on drivers door doesn't work - fixed
  • Steering wheel very worn - retrimmed in alcantara
  • Star in n/s headlamp ("oh, cool, I've got xenons; oh, I have a hole in one of my xenons") - replaced
  • Slight blow on exhaust - repaired
  • Couple of clips broken on rear diffuser - not broken, just not engaged, now fixed
  • Wear to drivers seat - replaced
  • Damage to drivers footwell carpet - replacement awaiting fitment
  • A/c was ineffective - regassed
  • Missing wheel brace - replaced

My plans are really just to smarten the car up during my tenure with it, before possibly passing it back to my friend to retail for me, when I decide I fancy something else. In addition I will be fitting a bluetooth and iPod interface, and may do a few minor mods, bit of personalising, etc.

As of today, I have sorted the second key with a replacement battery, had the A/c regassed (in case you go non-franchise, 510g of refrigerant - Autodata doesn't have that info for the 197), and started to clean up the interior - the rear seat bases, parcel shelf and boot carpet are all in the house waiting to be refitted in the morning.

I also had cause to discover the very cool "target" warning light, I clearly didn't drive the car hard enough yesterday, as I only found it today. Very cool. Made a flying visit to see some relatives this afternoon, and yes, this is a quick little car, and the press' fascination with it's handling seems fully justified. Not 101% sold on the fuel consumption just yet though!

So, to my shopping list;

On order;
  • Parrot MKi9200 phone & iPod kit - fitted
  • 2.5m twin ISO extension loom - fitted, then removed as not necessary
  • RenaultSport floor mats - fitted
  • Albi Blue touch up - used
  • Clio luggage compartment storage tray - fitted and removed, makes boot very small with full size spare
  • Silver indicator bulbs - fitted
  • Renault TIS & EPC - didn't work, but it was cheap!
  • N/S/F xenon headlamp - fitted

To order;
  • Drivers side door handle (I hope these aren't expensive!) - fitted, circa £70-80 iirc
  • Wheel brace - fitted
  • ITG panel filter - fitted

Wanted;
  • Spare steering wheel (so I can get this one retrimmed)
  • Rear diffuser
  • Possibly a spare set of wheels, so I can get these refurbished

The wheel refurb, exhaust blow, drivers seat issue, and a couple of dentmaster type repairs will need to be taken care of soon, any recommendations for the seat, wheels or smart repairers would be gratefully received.

Also I quite fancy getting the interior trim done in vinyl, I think either in a bright metallic blue, or perhaps in high gloss black? Suggestions, and recommendations gratefully received. I like the idea of blue as I fancy getting the steering wheel retrimmed in alcantara, with a blue leather marker band; I was going to do something similar with the Puma before I exited it.

I had my Scangauge plugged in today, and it would appear that the water temp isn't really getting above around 75C, which I think suggests that the thermostat is stuck open. Not a huge prob, but something I would like to get sorted.

I also seem to have a rattle from the tailgate which needs a bit more investigation.

I had meant to have a look at the car on a ramp this morning when I was down at the garage for the A/C regas, but just didn't get chance, so it was sods law that I would notice the blow this evening. Hopefully I will get it looked at soon; could be an excuse to go for something more interesting - though I did get thoroughly bored of noisy exhausts with the Puma, so perhaps not.

Anyhow, that is my not so brief introduction, I am quite taken with the car at the moment, and am looking forward to improving it's condition.

Hope to have something more photogenic soon.

Comments and criticisms all welcome, thanks for reading.

Updated Spec List Jan 2011
  • APD matched inlet manifold
  • APD 4mm PTFE inlet manifold gasket
  • ITG panel filter
  • Silicone induction hoses
  • AP Racing front bells & rotors
  • Stainless steel slash cut exhaust tips
  • Alcantara trimmed steering wheel
  • Parrot MKi9200 phone & iPod kit
  • Brodit Blackberry & Satnav mounts
  • Auto-dim rear view mirror
  • Sunglasses holder
  • Anthracite 12-spoke "Raider" style wheels with ContiSport 3 tyres
  • Gloss black Speedline wheels with Toyo R888 tyres
  • Luggage compartment net
  • Plush luggage compartment mat
  • Full size spare wheel

To Do list January 2011
  • Replace front carpet section
  • Replace rear discs & pads
  • Fit 197 Cup suspension
  • Fit red brake calipers
  • Fit Bosch ParkPilot front and rear parking sensors
  • Clean front seatbelts
  • Adjust drivers door alignment

Last edited:
Nice car :smile: and good to see these cars can take the high mileage in their stride. Mine is currently on 48k and has a very similar spec to yours. I recently had the wheels on mine rerfurbed and resprayed matt black and it really does make the car more striking to look at (mine is also an albi).

A yozzasport cat back would be a nice upgrade - i went down the decat route, but then I love noise, although even this isn't unbearable on 2 hour motorway journey's. Could probably pick one up second hand on here if your lucky for between 200 - 300 squids.

I had the same issue with the door handle on my car, but Renault replaced it before I too k it off their hands, so I'm unsure of the cost, I can't imagine it being too much.

Someone on here posted pics of a carbon vinyl over their centre console which looked pretty decent, maybe that could be a consideration if your into that sort of thing.

Nice car :smile: and good to see these cars can take the high mileage in their stride. Mine is currently on 48k and has a very similar spec to yours. I recently had the wheels on mine rerfurbed and resprayed matt black and it really does make the car more striking to look at (mine is also an albi).

A yozzasport cat back would be a nice upgrade - i went down the decat route, but then I love noise, although even this isn't unbearable on 2 hour motorway journey's. Could probably pick one up second hand on here if your lucky for between 200 - 300 squids.

I had the same issue with the door handle on my car, but Renault replaced it before I too k it off their hands, so I'm unsure of the cost, I can't imagine it being too much.

Someone on here posted pics of a carbon vinyl over their centre console which looked pretty decent, maybe that could be a consideration if your into that sort of thing.

Thanks, I was thinking about having the wheels done a different colour, but the silver wheels go nicely with the silver trim on the doors. I had the wheels refurbed silver on the Puma though, and always kinda regretted not being more adventurous.

I will hopefully find out the prob with the exhaust early this week, I am more concerned about why there is a join just ahead of the back axle though, first owner could have had a different system on, but this one doesn't look like it spent the last 4 years in a garage.

Last edited:
Hey mate, good news on the car being in better condition than you expected!

If you are ordering an ITG then I would recommend Camskill as the cheapest and they were good on delivery times too!

I had a door ding and used a company called Dent Vanish and they have done an amazing job with it, mine was on the crease on passenger door but you cant tell anything was there now. They also should cover your area too if you aren't too far away.

nice little read mate,

hope you get all the small niggles sorted soon as tho.

Thanks, hopefully they won't be too difficult / expensive!

Hey mate, good news on the car being in better condition than you expected!

If you are ordering an ITG then I would recommend Camskill as the cheapest and they were good on delivery times too!

I had a door ding and used a company called Dent Vanish and they have done an amazing job with it, mine was on the crease on passenger door but you cant tell anything was there now. They also should cover your area too if you aren't too far away.

Very close, I will give them a try, thanks! Any idea on cost?

I found the ITG on Camskill last night, but didn't have my wallet to hand, they do seem good value

Nice motor mate, good luck with the improvements :smile: !

Thanks, will keep this updated. I was over near Gainsborough yesterday, you appreciate a car like this so much more on the roads over there than you do here. Definately one of the things I miss about living in Lincolnshire; that was where I found out about the gear change indicator!

So, todays progress; the car has moved about 15' forward, been vac'd out, then driven 15' back. However, I have ordered the ITG panel from Camskill, finished cleaning the interior, and investigated the exhaust blow. Looks like the car has had a replacement mild steel cat back fitted relatively recently, the clamps look quite substantial, suggesting reasonable quality, but the blow is coming from the rear join. Cleaning it up and resealing it should sort the prob. I suspect that it was in fitting the replacement exhaust that the rear diffuser got damaged, which is annoying, but not a huge prob.

Haven't done anything to the exterior yet, but here are some pics anyway, just in case anyone has forgotten what an Albi blue one looks like...

2010-06-20016a.jpg

2010-06-20009a.jpg

2010-06-20017a.jpg

2010-06-20007.jpg

The bodywork has worn really well (hopefully I won't come to eat my words when I wash it...), but the interior fabrics seem very prone to pulls. Also the bolsters aren't as durable as they might be, but that seems to be the case with the Recaro's too.

Thanks!

Ok, so todays progress (impressive for 10:50, but I should probably have been doing work...).

Turns out the car had a new mid section last year, work done by a Renault dealer, so assume it is genuine, hope to get that sorted tomorrow, along with new 'stat. Also I have ordered a used interior, used standard Clio steering wheel (so existing one can be sent off for retrim), new thermostat, new wheel brace and new o/s door handle.

Once that is done, and the various parts fitted, there will just be a couple of minor dents, the wheel refurbs, and a good polish, and we should be about there!

get yourself some upgraded headlight bulbs while your getting the bumper off, £20ish off ebay for some 8000K d2s bulbs and a couple of £ for some 501 LED side lights. will tranform the look of the front at night.

standard area more yellow with a slight blue tint, mine area now pure white with a tint of blue, and you can see a hell of alot better at night.

So, quick trip to the garage this morning saw the exhaust joint repaired and the thermostat replaced. However it still doesn't seem to go over around 85C; I doubt it is doing any harm though, so will probably just leave it for the time being, and see how things go.

Also fitted a boot tray, used boot mat (old one had oil on it, and I could not stop it feeling greasy, no matter what I did), and a used low mileage gear knob (stitching was coming out on the old one).

In addition I collected another drivers seat, silver indicator bulbs, spare plain steering wheel, ITG panel filter, Parrot kit, phone cradle, RenaultSport number plates and a minature 197 in blue for my daughter.

Still waiting for the headlamp, and dash bracket.

Two disappointments today; the mats I ordered are the 200 ones, with yellow stitching, so they will be going back, and I am missing an anti-rattle clip from the drivers side caliper. Hope to get these sorted on Saturday.

Your working quickly on it - wish I had that kind of time and money to spend on mine! It's filthy atm, covered in dust. Will be a job for Saturday morning I think!

Yes, my wife wishes I had the time and money too!

So, further progress;

Two drivers seats in the spare room - I need to drill out the rivets for the Cabasse bracket and swap over, and it's now too late, child asleep, etc. Hope to get that sorted tomorrow evening.

While the seat was out, I decided to have a go at plumbing in the Parrot kit - I wish I had very small hands, and long, thin, bendy arms! Anyhow, mic is fitted, screen is mounted, iPod lead is fitted, head unit refitted, but the seat, and the actual clever bit aren't yet refitted.

ITG panel filter is fitted.

Silver indicator bulbs are fitted front and rear, not done the side repeaters yet.

Anyone know how to remove the door cards and rear quarter panel trims?

Also, some of the pins in the red plug at the back of the stereo are populated, and I have a spare yellow plug behind the head unit, any ideas?

Dent man is booked for Friday, fingers crossed he can sort out the three dings that I have noticed, and the multitude on Rhonda the Honda.

Things didn't exactly go to plan yesterday as I found out that I need to use the car for work today, which meant that rather than having the weekend to put the car together, I just had last night. After a prior commitment. So, drilled out the rivets and swapped over the Cabasse bracket, extended the mute and line out wires on the parrot kit (you need a circa 2.5m double ISO extension cable to run from the under seat unit to behind the dash, but the power side isn't fully populated, with no mute cable), I also extended the Parrot line-out cable, ready to tap into the red grey plug, but unfortunately ran out of insulated closures, so need to finish that probably this evening.

Anyhow, as of about 23:15 last night, Parrot kit is in, aside from the line-in; it all works, drives the iPod, etc. The screen is mounted in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I need to confirm that I am happy with it here, but just based on sitting in the driver, it seems fine. I also swapped the side repeat indicators, so now all of my indicator bulbs have a silver finish.

The replacement lamp cluster arrived yesterday, only for me to spot that two of the mounting / locating clips are broken, so I am in the process of sorting that out with the eBay seller.

Apparently the 197 mats are no longer available from Renault, but I think I have found a new, genuine set on eBay at a good price. Also ordered a boot net.

Hopefully the dent man is coming this afternoon, which will be good, other than that my plans for the w/e are;

Replace drivers side anti-rattle clip
Connect line-out from Parrot to Cabasse
Line luggage compartment tray with non-slip stuff
Possibly a wash

Other jobs that will need doing are;

Fit active cradle for BB (once dash bracket arrives)
Wire in Origin B2

Anyone know how to remove the rear quarter trims (rear door cards)?

Hopefully that will do for now, with a bit of luck I might get some pics of my progress later!

Thanks for reading!

Where did you order the boot net from? You're really getting cracking with this car mate! It'll be mint when you've finished I'm sure!