Yellow

That sunstrip is on the outside, right? IMO it's better to have two parts on the inside alone for the wear.

That sunstrip is on the outside, right? IMO it's better to have two parts on the inside alone for the wear.
It is. I don't think the one i have would be ideal on the inside, but i think i’ll get a better quality one for next time and cut it to fit before fitting internally. I think it maybe MOT issue on outside. Either that or i get a tint company to do it professionally.

Looking good Jimmy.

Does anyone a road legal car and a sun strip have any issues with MOT tests? I think the law says that if the wipers cross the sun strip by more than 10mm it can be a MOT failure if it is in a 290mm zone above the centre of the steering wheel.

I like the idea of a sun strip but worry I would have to replace it every year at MOT time.

Looking good Jimmy.

Does anyone a road legal car and a sun strip have any issues with MOT tests? I think the law says that if the wipers cross the sun strip by more than 10mm it can be a MOT failure if it is in a 290mm zone above the centre of the steering wheel.

I like the idea of a sun strip but worry I would have to replace it every year at MOT time.
I had mine mot’d with the sun strip and you’ve seen that, get a tape out at snetterton :smile:

Reactions: burrellbloke
Looking good Jimmy.

Tbh my recaros sit so low i need it, was driving on my tip toes to avoid the low sun recently.

wonder if an internal tint would
work. One to worry about when it gets ruined or near MOT time!

There are MOT tests and “MOT tests”

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding the image stabilisation on the GoPro, I run a pair of old Sessions and a Hero+LCD, none of which have IS and they're fine, you ideally need a good mount to keep it pinned to the cage properly. I bought a cheapish aluminium clamp mount off Amazon and it's spot on for trackdays.

Reactions: jimmybell
You can see mine at some pics in my thread (first link in the signature) if you want to have a look. It's semi-transparent and does the job quite well.

I know that's not relevant for you but the first TÜV guy I did go to said he won't approve it. I'm at an other one now who actually is a motorsport affine qualified engineer and he never even mentioned it. Technically it presumably isn't legit but it's actually covering exactly the area the sunshades are if folded down and there is no rule against driving with them down even at night. So, it doesn't makes any sense at all. Additionally our regs say only 10% of the windshield can be covered but this regulation is so old it comes from the times before modern types came up. If that would actually get applied you'd presumably already reach the limit with the lower part under the wipers and the sensor with the Clio. And before you ask. They're really talking about the complete windshield and not only the "see through" area. The reg simply never got updated to modern times.

Btw, mine comes from Foliatec and is especially made for windshields. It has a certificate in relation to cullet.

Last edited:
Regarding the image stabilisation on the GoPro, I run a pair of old Sessions and a Hero+LCD, none of which have IS and they're fine, you ideally need a good mount to keep it pinned to the cage properly. I bought a cheapish aluminium clamp mount off Amazon and it's spot on for trackdays.

ah yes, i'll see how this goes - mines a Hero (2014) i got as a christmas gift from work back then, used it a few times skiing but been sat in a drawer since! Tbh i think the stabilisation ones are a little better, but some world economic stuff seems to have happened and means literally everything is now 2X the price it was 2-3 years ago. GoPros are now £400? who knew.

got a little baby coming in July, so need to buy a family car now, which is certainly going to hamper my random spending on clio parts/trackdays!

Reactions: Beany
ah yes, i'll see how this goes - mines a Hero (2014) i got as a christmas gift from work back then, used it a few times skiing but been sat in a drawer since! Tbh i think the stabilisation ones are a little better, but some world economic stuff seems to have happened and means literally everything is now 2X the price it was 2-3 years ago. GoPros are now £400? who knew.

got a little baby coming in July, so need to buy a family car now, which is certainly going to hamper my random spending on clio parts/trackdays!
Know that feeling all too well! Trying to cram the TDs in before no2 arrives in august

Know that feeling all too well! Trying to cram the TDs in before no2 arrives in august
Got the wife to pre-emptively agree i’m allowed a day off here and there for TDs post birth.. hence goodwood booked, lol. Can get her to come and watch as an excuse to go out rather than resent me being out having fun. Thats how this works right?

• Haha
Got the wife to pre-emptively agree i’m allowed a day off here and there for TDs post birth.. hence goodwood booked, lol. Can get her to come and watch as an excuse to go out rather than resent me being out having fun. Thats how this works right?
I wish I could say yes, I’ve tried numerous times to get my mrs out to Cadwell or somet but more chance on my lotto numbers coming up

I have got a few GoPro Hero 5s or 6s. They have got image stabilisation. I picked them up from eBay for around £100. They seem to do their job well at a fraction of the price of a new GoPro.

indeed, i'm not sure there's much to gain beyond those - i dont need 4K (on the contrary, i'd rather more storage and 1080p...). i think the bluetooth remote control would be handy given the position within the car but hardly any hardship without.

Brands Hatch Indy yesterday, MSVT run. Packed up the night before, then had a load of work to do until past 1am and ended up with about 4 hours sleep, but brands is about 50 mins from my house so nice and easy vs Croft at 6 hours...

XSwz3so.jpg

Garmin Catalyst - TLDR: well, this is a game changer. It's like having vbox/harrys/go-pro all in one, with very little effort to get it running and it does so much of the hard (editing/analysis) work for you, and then also acts as a backup driving coach that will give you live verbal/visual instruction on braking points and speeds.

- the good bits? integrated video, stats, optimal lines calculated giving you pointers and photos of optimal braking points (vs your average), suggested improvements to breaking, apex, acceleration and cornering speed. It works really well, it's well thought out and within seconds of stopping in the pits you can instantly review a lap - the video of it, stats, charts on some useful datapoints and it will string together all of your fastest segments to give you an optimal laptime - and show you a video of this. pretty good. the box contains both screw down mount and a suction mount, plus spares for the camera - so i can move this to other cars pretty easily leaving the clio wiring/mount setup in place. they seem to be updating it with features too, so thats nice.
- the bad bits? it needs a rear facing camera, i'm going to re-purpose the crappy go-pro for this - mostly for context of who else is on track and why you might be avoiding racecars sat on your bumper. strangely simply 'turning it on' is.. hard. i think i've worked out 'when it has put itself to sleep its a 10s (yes, 10 SECONDS) press to turn it on.'. It's also not cheap, but if you tried to build this with harrys, a go-pro and some software/time spent editing you would probably be not far off in time vs money.

MSVT - pretty well run tbh, generally very good standard of driving, the most aggressive coming from the racecars.

My only gripe for the day is just the mix of cars being so broad - we had stock Seat Leon 1.9tdi on rainsports, stock clios, 1980s MGs (stock, 97hp..), 1960s Austin healey, and old mini, some more track prepped stuff like mine/182/minis/abarth 500/scooby/e92, and then a decent jump to race prepped ginettas, seat leons that looked like BTCC cars, AMG GTs (british GT), and some endurance Ferraris (458/488 challenge kinda thing). One chap came along in his Pista, and another team came with race prepped Cayman GT4s and McLaren 600LTs. So - 90hp up to 720+ meant speed difference was drastic so plenty of time spent getting out of the way of racecars. A few red flags, some electrical failures but no serious incidents. The closest car to me was probably the Pure Track 197, that i think is designed for 750MC races.

t1GJD3m.jpg

Started the day with sighting laps in full sun, sat behind a stock clio and what looked like a bastardised Radical made in a norfolk shed, and in front of two 600hp+ Ferrari race cars. Pretty much summed up the day.

Spent a bit of time messing with go-pro mounts as finally got the right sized bolts from Westfield Fasteners (love that site..), but i definitely need a new GoPro - mine blows out the light and really struggles to adjust exposure for OUTSIDE of the car, and vibrates like a mofo. I'll use link one vid below to help diagnose a problem i had, but it's not much use for entertainment purposes. I'll add an ebay gopro 6/7 to my bday list.

I did 9-10 sessions of between 12-15 laps, one ended due to red flag, and one i sorta cut short due to some hesitation/acceleration weirdness. Generally the car performed well, well, i did sighting laps and first session with the Gaz set to pretty soft, and then moved to 10 clicks from soft on the front and 5 on the rear, and then later moved another 5 clicks on the front. i think next time i'll just go a few clicks away from hard and perhaps keep the rear in the middle.

Previous visit i was hovering around 1:01 and this visit i was effectively doing the same times, albeit much more comfortably and consistently. I think i have the lines about right, but i just need to brake later and get on the power earlier to actually take advantage of the gripper - not quite used to that ability yet. Likewise messing with coilovers i didn't really feel like i knew where the cornering speed limits were yet.. had some interesting side-skipping moments around Surtees that a few more feet would have seen me doing my best impression of a Vegan on the grass ... like the young lad in a Clio 182 with cold AD08s did. With hindsight, i stumped up for a garage but decided i'd be messing with the car too much to fit in an instructor.. but as always an instructor seems to be worth more than any mods, so new rule is going to be to add instructor time to every TD. Likewise - more days with other clios, as they're the best.

Highlight of the day was chasing a full race prepped Cayman GT4 for a few laps to eventually pass him when he realised i'd be right on him all of the next lap, and he had to let me past. Will chuck that up session from the Garmin as example (it has no GPS data as didn't wait before moving from pits to get a signal, it catches up later..), with the 'optimal time' as 'all my best segments stitched together':

Any comments from those who know Brands are very welcome!

It was a day with an evening session after the day, and the poor folks that turned up were greeted by heavy rain (After a glorious day) at 16:30 - at which point i had just gone out for last session, but after 2 laps of trying to slide about - bailed and called it quits. Packed up, pumped up the tyres, and drove home with suspension 15 clicks harder than the morning journey. London speed bumps with a boot of kit .. hilariously painful.

Uh oh? Right after lunch i had some oddity with hesitation, low power and rough (intake?) noise - tbh in the time i was out i couldn't completely confirm whether it was gearbox or induction/fuel/spark. Happened after i missed 3rd and went to 5th (coincidence? first time i'd done this), turned corner and when on hard throttle it was chugging with low power and gruff intake noise. revving in the pits afterwards i couldnt hear it, but mid track i dropped clutch and revved and i *think* i could hear it then (should be evident in video after the hairpin), right before a helicopter lands overhead. It seemed happier in higher revs (like it was chugging through the mid rev band, fine at low rpm, fine at 6k+). Not sure what this is/was, i pulled in - parked it, let it sit for 10 mins and started again, let it idle for a few mins, then went out again and had no issue again. Sorta felt like a turbo car where the turbo wasn't working and you got extra throaty intake and no power. Downside of the scorpion exhaust, manifolds and ktec intake is you get so much noise in the car (cool!) it's hard to identify wtf is going on (not cool) sometimes. Perhaps i need a code reader to check for clues there?

around 44s here:

Want to get this resolved/confirmed before the next outing - either Snet on 25th or something sooner if i can find one.

Off to NYC tomorrow so not going to be near the car for a week :worried:

Now booked on Donnington 13th June too. So snett and donny back to back, what could go wrong.

sadly no garages or tuition avail likely thanks to the aggressive jimmy broadbent email marketing so only going to bring clio for now. Also no idea where to chuck all my shit without a garage so thatl be fun :smiley:

Now booked on Donnington 13th June too. So snett and donny back to back, what could go wrong.

sadly no garages or tuition avail likely thanks to the aggressive jimmy broadbent email marketing so only going to bring clio for now. Also no idea where to chuck all my shit without a garage so thatl be fun :smiley:

See you at donnington, pretty sure we've got a garage so you're welcome to share