Winter with AD08's

hi all

basically i'm just wondering weather a bit of snow or ice will wreck my tyres,a work friend seems to think the severe cold could crack the rubber,is this true in any way,cheers

scott

It won't do them much good mate put it that way.

I read something a while back that said below 7C a regular tyre losses a massive amount of grip and plyability due to how it's constructed and the compound used. Summer tyres obviously react worse still but there was no mention of track tyres. If you can pick up a set of half-decent tyres for £200-300 then I'd say swap them over and save the good'uns until spring.

It won't do them much good mate put it that way.

I read something a while back that said below 7C a regular tyre losses a massive amount of grip and plyability due to how it's constructed and the compound used. Summer tyres obviously react worse still but there was no mention of track tyres. If you can pick up a set of half-decent tyres for £200-300 then I'd say swap them over and save the good'uns until spring.

hmmm cheers will,think it could be hibernation time in the garage for the old girl then if the weather gets to bad...

See what winter tyres are going for at the moment mate.

Might be worth getting a set of mid-range ones and then you can get a few years use out of them if you've got speace to store them.

Nah, they'll be right, get some nice skinny wheels to put them on and it'll look like a Rally car!!! :smiley:

Nah, they'll be right, get some nice skinny wheels to put them on and it'll look like a Rally car!!! :smiley:

you buy some skinny wheels first will and if they look good i'll follow suit,if they look crap i'll laugh and buy some winter tyres,sound like a plan?

I thought about a set of Nankang winter tyres. They got decent reviews, and whilst Nankang might not be the best make, you can bet they'll be much better in the cold than any summer tyres. They were well under £400 for 4.

you buy some skinny wheels first will and if they look good i'll follow suit,if they look crap i'll laugh and buy some winter tyres,sound like a plan?

I've been trying to find a steel wheel that will fit over the Brembo's for this very reason actually. :wink:

Think I'm gonna try some Maxsport RB5's this winter and get down with some extreme drifting.

:smiley: :roy: :smiley:

Last edited:
hi all

basically i'm just wondering weather a bit of snow or ice will wreck my tyres,a work friend seems to think the severe cold could crack the rubber,is this true in any way,cheers

scott

I used mine through that bad winter a couple years back, they were fine and didnt crack.

cheers fella,its rare my car will be out in really bad weather for any length of time but i just thought i'd do some research first

Well I still did my regular 8 mile commute, in 6 inches of snow. Ended up being the only car in the car park and had to use the hand brake to get it to turn into a space, all on AD08s. Never felt they were any better or worse than any other summer tyre would have.

Maybe not a typical all weather tyre though.............

winter tyres are fantastic. have a set for our vrs which are now on (kumhos). car feels so much better in cold, extreme wet etc. than summers. reasonable amounts of snow and there's no drama other than everyone else on the road slipping, sliding and wheel spinning.

clio stays on the contis in the garage.

I doubt anything below 0 degrees will do track tyres any good! Just a normal set of road tyres is more than capable for 95% of us in the snow, don't get all the fuss me!

I doubt anything below 0 degrees will do track tyres any good! Just a normal set of road tyres is more than capable for 95% of us in the snow, don't get all the fuss me!

3 out of the last 4 years they've got me places I couldn't have got to (admittedly in the lakes / dales but also birmingham 3 years ago (!)). Theoretically you're not paying any more when rotating between summer and winter, though of course there's initial purchase price and spare wheels, although you can usually recoup much of that when you sell on. And as I said above my regular car feels a lot better in cold / greasy / wet winter conditions when I swap over - placebo or not?

i always run winter tyres this time of year, i just bought the cheapest set i could get £240 for 4. imo any winter tyre is better than a summer one so no point in paying through the teeth for top branded ones. plus its piece of mind, dont have to worry about getting stuck etc

So far our AD08s have performed flawlessly on the snow and ice we've had so far. Though, I ain't pushing it at all.

So far our AD08s have performed flawlessly on the snow and ice we've had so far. Though, I ain't pushing it at all.

mate i honestly believe they are better than the conti 3's in the wet and in snow as well,such a cracking tyre and reasonably cheap when you compare them to the continentals

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Clio General Chat 2
jasonlovesfrench Gallery 0
matt9566 General Chat 8
S Wheels and Tyres 0
ZorkoRS197 Clio General Chat 2