Winter tyres

Not getting any mate, I did 12,000 miles last winter on some Toyo proxies and they were fine, even in the snow, I appreciate that with colder tempratures some tyres arnt as good but imo we dont have proper winters like some of our european neighbours to neccessitate a change of rubber.

I run Nokian WRG2 on the MINI and they were great. The best moment from when braking and hit some black ice but they still stopped the car (not aswell but better than summer tyres).

Get four if you are going to get any. If you only put them on the front the rears will break away much earlier and underbraking the rear won't find grip whereas the fronts will.

better get some, I have 205 50 17 dunlop winter m3, it is their 5th season and they are still quite deep, anyway I'll probably throw them away after this winter, but will see whats left of them in the spring, the cost is just about 100 pounds each season... not a lot for a safe drive, could easily spend that on a night out... knowing the difference in the snow and even in the damp when its cold I would never take winter without a set of winter tyres, but hey you only live once and since playing with death has always been the most fun maybe its just stupid to get a set and live a boring life....

but

imagine you can safely drive on a snow covered highway at about 50 - 55 mph in a clio...

imagine how fast can you drive on a snow covered highway without winter tires....

I am not saying that you should or would be able to drive that fast with all the other cars around, but the grip the winter tire provides allows you to do it, now what levels of grip does your summer tire offer in the cold??? could you go safely 25 mph on a snow covered road... I dont think so.... could you make an emergency brake and actually stop, not really, each to their own they say :smile:

Anyway, we get a few snowdays throughout the winter season, but most of the time the roads are black, salted, so if you'd add up all the days that there is snow on the roads and a winter tire is a necessity it would be not more than 7 I believe... the rest of the time the snow is ploughed away and the roads are salted, dry or damp, whatever, still pretty much everyone is using winter tires...

You need a complete set of 4, if you would get 2 for the front I assume the back would have too little grip and it would be very easy to loose the rear end, also would be very nervous under braking...

good luck though, wonder how many "I bumped into..." threads we will have this winter :wink:

Valid points you raise, but I'm still not getting any lol.

For the simple reason that, yes for those 7 days of extreme weather you will have more grip than me, however, as the first snowflake hits the floor the country will grind to a holt, businesses will shut, shops will run out out stuff, I won't have to go to work, won't have to take the kids to school as the heater will break down again and I won't have to go out.

And so when the snow clears a week later and the roads are dry due to the global warming december heatwave, I'll have more grip than you lot. Plus I will have a few hundred quid in my back burner to go out on the lash. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
I use Nokia WRG2's at all corners as i live in Sheffield and there are bloody hills everywhere and the drive up to my flat is 40degree grad!!
Much better than summer tyres of course, that's what cold weather / winter tyres are designed for. I use my car daily and going on the weather we had the last three years in Sheff the tyres will be going back on soon.

Do you need them? ...you could probably manage if you like walking in the snow or have a team of husky dogs.
Should you have them? ...yes its just safer.

Thank you.

These are my winter tyres :smile:

yokohama-advan-ad08.jpg

My safety technique will be not going anywhere if it's snowing.

You'd be surprised how good these are when it's cold tbh, because they are a soft compound unlike the contis that seem to have a floor temperature at which they just go rock hard these seem to remain suple .

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WBEPRO/?tag=clio197-21

Seen this stuff here on another forum. Anybody ever used it? Seems to get reasonable reviews.

Took a look at that and not sure how it works as to suddenly give tyres traction you either need to soften up the rubber either by melting it in some way or perhaps it leaves a gritty surface.

But love the bit in description no harmful solvents, yet can contains the skull & crossbones logo so something is lethal to your health

I'd stick with either snow tyres/chains or those snow socks which are very good, seen them in action and can vouch they work.

Update. seen in advert it says natural resin adhesive, not sure how that's gonna work either with ice.

Last edited:
Nice, now that's a tread patten for cutting into snow and ice and can take studs, we can get Nokian in UK but not seen anyone selling Hakkapelitta

And i think stud tyres are illegal in uk?..

No, not if used correctly e.g. you put them in and drive on heavy snow but if you then used on very thin ice or no snow cover and caused damage to the tarmac yes then they can have you, but I'd like to see them prove you did the damage when our roads surfaces are so bad to start with.

Plus you can always unscrew them and run without as the tread pattens on these tyres is going to be good enough for the amount of snow we get.

your puttin winter tyres on ultraleggeras? Surely not? Arent you more likely to kerb a wheel in the winter or that just my logic?

your puttin winter tyres on ultraleggeras? Surely not? Arent you more likely to kerb a wheel in the winter or that just my logic?

Got those brand new for the same amount that I've got for selling my OEM wheels.

If you're not careful, you are more likely to kerb a wheel in the winter, but given in mind that I drove my Clio in the winter with the CSC3 tires, and now I have winter tires...I think there's less chance than before. :wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions