Winter tyres

So, I move back to Aberdeen when I get my Clio on Friday and I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience with cold weather/winter tyres on the clio?

What brand/model etc?
Where from?
Price?
Any particular tests or feeling on the tyres?

I'm just wondering because the winter last year was horrendous in Aberdeen and I thought it might pay to get in there earlier to get them fitted in October/November or something...

I'm defiantly getting winter tyres got stuck good and proper this year had to leave car on a pub car park in a rough area, was so scared lol!!

They're not good, really not good! I didn't manage to get up my road last winter and even my neighbour got up in their RWD BMW. I'm not one of those people who sits there bouncing off the rev limiter either, the clio on contis just isn't good.

Lol, oh dear... looks like winter tyres are going to be the best option then, especially up north, it gets bloomin cold and there was plenty of snow/ice last year. Aberdeen City Council were terrible at gritting and clearing the roads...

I really want some winter tyres but they work out very expensive, maybe a bit different up north though.

Late summer is meant to be the best time to buy, the prices rocket as soon as snow starts to arrive.

How about trying some "snow socks"
I've seen em on eBay.

They are only any use in snow but I suppose that's the only time some true winter Tyres would be a real advantage really.

The advantage to them over chains are if you do hit a bit of road that's clear you can drive on them without dammaging your Tyres unlike traditional chains.

I've read that they last long enough to warrant the 30 quid you pay for em too.

I have a set of winter tyres, without that in Sheffield when it snows i'm screw'd.
Definitely worth the effort and now is the time to buy a set.
I have some Nokian WRG2 and they did the job.

iv bought a set of pirelli p sotto zeros last year as its law in germany as of most of main land europe and there definatly worth it i would say buy a cheap set reather than buying expensive as they do pritty much as good of a job

Out of interest, did people just fit them to driving wheels or all 4?

I'm thinking I'll change all round...

Change all four tyres. Just think, if you changed only the driving wheels the back end will break away so much easier. You'll also lose the benifits of quiker braking as the rear tyres will not keep up.

I had Kumho KW23 winter tyres when I had my 200. Worked brilliantly in the cold temperatures and in the snow. Had them fitted from October through to March last year.

Did you fit 225's with them being more common or did you stick to 215's?

Stuck with the std size. They were really great in the snow. I turned up an untreated road last year where the snow was just touching the underside of the car. A Navara turned into the road just after me. Not wanting to hold him up I just put the foot down and drove away from him as he slid his way up the road. My mate uses Vredistein winters on his.

I have a set of Nokian WR G2 standard 215's. Definitely worth it.

Don't wait till Oct/Nov before you order them, as tyre manufacturers sell
to Europe where there is a high demand, before they sell them to the UK.

DB R27

Wombat, where did you buy your Nokian WR G2's from? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for a set?

I read up on the reviews of them and they seem very good

Rally3,

Got the full set from http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ paid a bit less than the price they are now. Place the order and tell them where you want them delivered. Paying for them was a bit of a task though. Plus You have keep your eye on the price, as it can change on a daily basis. the later you leave it the more expensive they get. At this time of year they have a decent selection.

Any temp below 7 deg C Winter tyres come into their own and leave the Contis well behind, they are manfactured in Finland so they are definitely up for it. check this out http://www.nokiantyres.com/fastest-on-ice

With this speil i should ask them for job!

Similar Thread Suggestions