Whos wanting a carbon bonnet then??

Id imagine the fibreglass backbone is actually the underneath part of the bonnet that gives the bonnet its strength.

Probably constructed using the wet lay up method as the ktec ones are. The main top part will be either pure carbon fibre or a layer of carbon then a lightweight layer of fibreglass, these should be laminated together if thats the case.

The two parts would then be bonded together.

whatever the construction method, to all intense and purposes it is still a carbon bonnet. You usually get a better finish with this method than you would with Streamlines prepreg method as the whole process is centred on the production of a cosmetic item.

When using the pre-preg method the primary aims are strentgh and lightness. The finished item then has to be lacqured, which is why the finish on some prepreg carbon dosnt last long, its also good to note that pre-preg carbon fibre is impregnated with epoxy resin which is inherently UV unstable, hence why some carbon goes yellow. Pre-preg carbon and its method of construction and cure are infinately more expensive too.

Having worked in and around the composites industry all my working life, both in motorsport and aerospace I can say with conviction that if I was to buy a carbon bonnet for the purposes of making my car look good it would be one made the way Weaveworxs is proposing and not a more expensive pre-preg version, if I wanted it to reduce weight that would be a different matter, and then id only invest if I couldnt physically go any faster on my lap.

In this case and basing facts on price, less is definately more.

Last edited:
Id imagine the fibreglass backbone is actually the underneath part of the bonnet that gives the bonnet its strength.

Probably constructed using the wet lay up method as the ktec ones are. The main top part will be either pure carbon fibre or a layer of carbon then a lightweight layer of fibreglass, these should be laminated together if thats the case.

The two parts would then be bonded together.

whatever the construction method, to all intense and purposes it is still a carbon bonnet. You usually get a better finish with this method than you would with Streamlines prepreg method as the whole process is centred on the production of a cosmetic item.

When using the pre-preg method the primary aims are strentgh and lightness. The finished item then has to be lacqured, which is why the finish on some prepreg carbon dosnt last long, its also good to note that pre-preg carbon fibre is impregnated with epoxy resin which is inherently UV unstable, hence why some carbon goes yellow. Pre-preg carbon and its method of construction and cure are infinately more expensive too.

Having worked in and around the composites industry all my working life, both in motorsport and aerospace I can say with conviction that if I was to buy a carbon bonnet for the purposes of making my car look good it would be one made the way Weaveworxs is proposing and not a more expensive pre-preg version, if I wanted it to reduce weight that would be a different matter, and then id only invest if I couldnt physically go any faster on my lap.

In this case and basing facts on price, less is definately more.

What a fantastic post. Couldn't have put it better myself :wink: