Which lsd VAL?

Hello ive just bought new gearbox whit shortened 1-3 gear for my 197 so before putting gearbox onto car is it worthing installing LSD ive been looking into VAL lsd whit 70% lock anyone used it on track is it any good?

Got a few mates which run them. They’re a notable improvement over standard when using on track.

Great value for money too

I know next to nothing about how diffs work but the lock might be the bias ratio as in the wheel with the most grip can receive up to 70% of power.

I've got the val diff works really well. Just need to remember the val diff is a different dimension to standard so needs a spacer fitted under one of the bearing halves.

no it needs to be made, ideally when fitting you dummy fit the diff and measure the runout and get an exact measurement

I did my own and dont have access to all the tools or knowledge to measure the runout so was advised by val to use a 1.5mm thick spacer, it replaces a spacer that already sits under one of the bearings if i remember correctly. was a coupel years since i did it.

Renault make shims but not that match the size, I had one made by someone i found on eBay and i just gave them the dimensions after measuring the original and adjusting for 1.5mm thick. It just needs to be flat its not a sealing surface just a mounting face for the bearing.

Also in an ideal world you would use new bearings, driveshaft seals, crown wheel bolts, c pins, sealant (i used threebond 1215) and fresh oil. All adds up and if paying someone else to do it, make sure the price makes sense and they are not cutting corners. Seals could be damaged during the install etc.

There is also the blackline diff, not many people seem to have it vs the val diff. Pure motorsport sell the blackline diff so might be worth talking to them about that as an alternative to the val diff. Lots of us have the val diff and are happy but we didnt have the option of the blackline until recently so worth considering.

Zuban makes a great point. Ive just bought all the parts required to completely refurbish my gearbox, and it was over £300 in parts alone.
At the very least you’ll need differential bearings, and I would always advise seals.

Again, I have 2 friends who have the Blackline diff. The performance is level with that of the VAL.
Pure motorsport do sell the bearing shims, but they come in a kit and not individually.

I have a friend with the black line diff. The workshop that installed it said it was almost an exact copy of the quaife and it was quieter during use also.
He didn't need custom spacers either from memory

Supreme motorsport make the the shims from 0.2 up to 2.6.

I’m personally not a fan of the VAL racing diff, you will also need longer crown wheel bolts as the Renault ones are too short really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supreme motorsport make the the shims from 0.2 up to 2.6.

I’m personally not a fan of the VAL racing diff, you will also need longer crown wheel bolts as the Renault ones are too short really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Value for money, they are hard to beat. I have been running mine for almost 3 track day seasons now 4-6x a year) and it has held up just fine on street and UHP tires. Did 1 sessions last year on AR1s and got the same corner exit grip I came to expect, so no issues there.

I use a Val diff, no complaints here

Would advise a quick refurb on the box whilst there, at a minimum 3rd+4th synchro, 3 seals, input shaft bearings and diff bearings

Need to measure diff shim required, a couple of ways to skin a cat but i used Matts shims from Supreme as the Renault ones are all too big

Also the diff now comes with longer bolts, took approx 10 days to arrive and i didn't get any import tax!

Reactions: RSRowe
I've got a Blackline supplied and fitted to mine by Rentune. A definite improvement over the standard setting. While you're at it with the box off, I'd suggest fitting a lightweight flywheel too and definitely replace your slave cylinder unless it's nearly new.

Reactions: wootwoot

Similar Thread Suggestions