Wheel spacers, Idiots guide?

Coming to the good times of getting my car lowered, eventually.

Been on the site looking at a few lads with lowered 197s on 25mm wheel spacers, gotta say i luv the stance.

Never used wheel spacers before and dont know best places to source or prices to pay.

Best i can find is £210 for H&Rs 25mm Wheel spacers, surely i can get em cheaper than that somewhere???

Will Std Clio 3 spacers fit the RS?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading. Ben

Will 25mm spacers not put excessive strain on the wheel bearings due to the extra leverage the bumps will have on them?

I have been looking into these aswell. The best place I found so far was here:

http://www.srbpower.com/hr/spacers.php?Make=RENAULT

You will need the Clio C sport ones about half way down the page I think. 108 PCD x 5 stud, 60.1 centre bore. It says 50mm next to them, but that is overall increase, 25mm a side. Part number 5035601,£111.12 inc VAT by the looks of it

Last edited:
Will 25mm spacers not put excessive strain on the wheel bearings due to the extra leverage the bumps will have on them?

I have never had any problems when I had them on my car and Jase has had his on for quite a while and also never had any problems.

Bought H&Rs for a hefty sum lol, all i need is the Coilovers to get the car sitting low on them wheels.

never had any problem with the spacers fitted.
depending on how low you plan on going with the coilovers you may get rubbing. but you have to go very low... :wink:

I'm in South Africa, and getting H&R spacers here is rediculously expensive!
So I'm having them made up (luckily I'm a structural engineer, so I've designed them properly!)
The final cost of having them made up is about 40% of the selling price!
But 50% of the cost is in the bolts, NOT the material and machining of the spacer itself!!!

Lol i've just been in south africa :tongueout:

Coulda brought some over for you if i'd known haha. Gotta say never saw any 197s out there!

I know this is a stupid question!!!

But after seeing Jases at Trax i couldnt help but notice just how much of the wheel sticks out from the arches when lowered. Wont the MoT man get funny about that?

Depends.......

I HATED mine with a passion. I've ran my car for good 18 months just lowered on H&R coilovers, and loved every minuite. The car feels awesome, tight, and 'pointy', so fluid, perfection!! It gets driven pretty hard most nights on a good mix of A/B roads (about 30 mile round trip). Now, fitted some eibach hubcentric spacers back end of June...... what a disaster. First trip out i took steady, getting the feel of the car........ oh my how it changed....................for the worse. Never mind, keeping the the faith, tried them next night, upping the pace along the usual route i take. Horrid. The car was very nervous under braking, lurching all over the place. Couldnt wait to get rid. Lasted 4 days

Spacers for show
Non for go..... its a Renaultsport, it shouldn't be a show pony, they are are all about the handling, so why ruin it? I'm not the only guy to think this either.... Just think whats changing when your adding 50mm to the total track of your cars

Gaz

Surely widening the track should imporve handling? theoretically anyway.

Clio 200 is wider than 197 IIRC.

Anyone other racers feel this way about em?

Yes, hense 197 over stock mk2, but eventually you'll tip over the threshold. Like you could put wider tyres on, but wider tread has some benifits at lower speeds but thats offset at higher. Its all a balance.......

200 it has the same track as 197. Alloys same et too.

If there was a benifit Renault would have changed it for the 200 like they did with the 182 over the 172. They left it the same..........

Last edited:
Reactions: Therealstig

Similar Thread Suggestions