Whats next to gain bhp

So my 197 has:

ITG Maxogen
Ported and polished Throttle Body from a 172/182??
KTec catback and decat
RS Tuning Remap

Im just wondering whats next to gain more bhp, Im assuming its cams?

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I dont know much about tuning the clio but if anyone needs any help on tuning a Fiesta then i can help out :smiley:

So my 197 has:

ITG Maxogen
Ported and polished Throttle Body from a 172/182??
KTec catback and decat
RS Tuning Remap

Im just wondering whats next to gain more bhp, Im assuming its cams?

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I dont know much about tuning the clio but if anyone needs any help on tuning a Fiesta then i can help out :smiley:

Bit of inlet matching? Not much in that tho.

Cams or just get a sensible NOS set up fo playtime:smile:

It depends how much you're willing to spend!!! :smiley:

NOS.
Bigger TB or ITBs.
Higher compression.
Cams or/and headwork.

Beyond that, it's going to be a change in aspiration or an engine transplant I think if you want more power. There's other bits you can do to the engine in the way of uprated bolts and such like, although they won't offer you any more BHP obviously, but they'll offer you more strentgh within the engine should you decide to push things further at a later date. The problem with these engines is that they're so highly tuned straight from the factory, it's not like on a Zetec or Duratec where the poor thing has been strangled with sh!t breathing bits and what have you...

even the word 'NOS' makes me giggle like a little girl :smiley:

to be honest im not chasing figures, would just like a little more than what Ive got. I imagine cams and matched inlets would be the route to take.

Does anyone happen to know if RS Tuning match inlets?

Cams does seem to be your next option, we are authorised dealers for Columbo & Bariani camshafts: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24651

These cams offer a slightly better profile than the Cat Cams, a set its going on my motor around September, I would like it to be sooner but in true European style the factory is closed for month of August so I have to wait until they are back.

If RSTuning don't do it in-house then I'm sure they'd be able to get them done for you. I wouldn't expect huge gains though from that, I think the people who see nice gains from it are the ones who had sh!t Inlets to start with so if yours aren't bad you have to ask if you can justify spending a few hundred quid for 0.5BHP... Or just get yourself a Dremmel, save some money and go nuts!!! :smiley:

The thing is, anything you do whilst staying NA will only enhance the characteristcs of the engine. The power will still be high up in the rev range, or maybe even further up depending on what Cams you went with etc.. The further up the power is, the harder you have to drive the car to feel/find the gains and you have to be realistic that you probably won't feel any difference on the daily commute if you're sat in traffic for an hour every day. It depends on how/what you'll be using her for. Trackdays etc..

If you go the NOS route then you'll have to be careful not to blow the welds on your Intake.

nos.jpg

Last edited:
jesus cams are expensive! Will have to have a good think about what to do. cheers for the replies lads

Lol, you think C&B cams are expensive you wanna see how much the CatCams and Shricks are..... But yes they can cost a bit but the gain per pound is more then you get from matching inlets or from an exhaust.

Yeah I dont doubt the quality of the products. My issue is I struggle to keep cars for long periods of time so I dont want to throw 'too' much money at the clio

Last edited:
Start stripping weight out, just costs a bit of elbow grease...

Ok it wont give you additional numbers, but should make a fair difference looking at some of the numbers N0ddie worked out weight wise

Last edited:
I've got a rather tasty complete, ready to fit nos system for a 197 going at a quatre of the original price :wink:

Start stripping weight out, just costs a bit of elbow grease...

Ok it wont give you additional numbers, but should make a fair difference looking at some of the numbers N0ddie worked out weight wise

I cant take the credit for that info unfortunately. Was a combination or Simo and Raptor's threads that I found it in.

Cams make proper sense if you do them as part of a cambelt change.

I'm tempted but don't want to spoil the drive.

Cams make proper sense if you do them as part of a cambelt change.

I'm tempted but don't want to spoil the drive.

Spoil the drive? the 197 is a brilliant drive but a touch more power would not go a miss.

Reading this thread I cant help but notice no one has mentioned the k-Tech 215 cam upgrade and re-map with a cam belt change for around 1300 notes and comes with a 12 month warranty. Dun't sound to bad to me.

Any one know more about this upgrade from K-Tech? any feed back etc.

I've had my R27 for a couple of weeks now. Its only done 23k but is coming up to 5 years old so a cam belt change is on the books. I reckon this will cost be 8-900 at Renault so an extra 500 spent at K-Tech for cams sounds very appealing.

Ps I'm new to the site so Hi to all you can guess my name. I'm based in Notts :thumbup1:

Welcome! It's £1366, but doesn't include aux belt or water pump, so the far side of £1500, plus if you want matched inlets that's a further cost. Also, you don't necessarily get 215bho, in reality you'll make 15bhp. If you ignore the performance/£ ratio of turbo cars, it's probably the best value for money mod on the Clio engine.

Yeah i think its an extra 75 for the auxiliary belt and tensioners. I know 215 is unlikely but i'm more interested in the power gain they claim lower down n the improved throttle characteristic.
has any one on the site had this mod and can give any feed back? i'm seriously considering it when i get the cam belt done unless the general consensus is its not worth the pennies. I've just fitted an itg n i'm looking at exhaust systems. just trying to work out which system is right for me. I guess everyone will be recommending Yozza!?