whats my best option

basically im not vry clued up when it comes to detailing my car, but everytime i wash my car i get pissed of with the scratches on it, there are alot of swirl marks and hedge type scratches down the passenger side and the boot has a lot of scratches i presume for people wearing rings opening and closing it.

The condition is how i bought it (3rd owner) i just want it as close as perfect as possible.

professional job? i think so

Depends really.

Price up some kit if your own. £45 on a rotary polisher, £10 on so maguires ultimate compounds and £10 on a finishing pad will do 90% of what a pro can do at a 1/4 of the cost. Plus you can do it again.

Depends on the finish your after
I just bought a dual action polisher and done my sons car and it's amazing compared to doing it by hand and as PB says you can use it over an over again
Or you can get it done prof and keep paying a fortune

I did the missus' black sportKa a while ago, did it all by hand using Megs Ultimate Compound. It came up really well, but I could really do with a DA polisher. Might come round and the loot yours Roy! Lol!

I did the missus' black sportKa a while ago, did it all by hand using Megs Ultimate Compound. It came up really well, but I could really do with a DA polisher. Might come round and the loot yours Roy! Lol!

You can borrow mine when ever you like Arran just ask

I'd rather loot it tbh mate.

Lol! Cheers Roy, might get one myself.

Depends on the finish your after
I just bought a dual action polisher and done my sons car and it's amazing compared to doing it by hand and as PB says you can use it over an over again
Or you can get it done prof and keep paying a fortune

How easy is it for a novice?

I'd rather loot it tbh mate.

:rofl: Comment of the day lol.

As for the scratches, if you get the hang of using a rotary polisher you can keep it at a nice standard all the time. Or get it done properly and make sure you wash it without scratching it in the future

I'd recommend any novice to buy a dual action. They are great and you'd have to be a complete tool to damage the paintwork. If you are only after a one of valet I'd get someone else to do it personally

I had a quote by a Detailing business that is by me (Ti22) and was £285 for a full day detail removing light swirls and scratches.

Having bought a rotary myself thinking it would be a doddle :thumbdown: i would also say try a DA first, i haven't used one but would imagine it would be easier than a rotary.

Having all the equipment, I'm going to give it a go myself, but first have a lot of practice on some scrap panels because i don't want to be burning through the paint on my 197.

...I can get reasonable results with my stuff, but I intend to get a pro or semi-pro in to to the job at least once and watch how its done.......

looking at this myself, ive been told that as long as you keep it moving and be careful on edges, you'd have to be retarded to burn through the paint.

How easy is it for a novice?

So easy to be honest I was bricking it at the start but after 10 mins it was ace to see the results it's amazing with out killing you.just take your time as I was advised.well worth the investment
Hope this helps mate

been looking online, not sure which brand people regard as being good but was looking for something that would just get the job done without spending an arm and a leg.

saw this on Amazon, thought i'd see if anyone had any input or experience.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0021L95WA/?tag=clio197-21

I'm selling a Kestrel sim180 for only slightly more than that, if you're interested? It's used but in good condition and for a little bit more I can include a couple of pads and a bag and maybe some Dodo Juice polish. It also comes with a backing plate, a D handle and a side handle. Send me a PM if you're interested :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I have a silverline. Does the job ok, better than a DA too.

You do need to spend another £13 though cos you need a 5" backing plate and it dunt come with one.