What size punch for calipers?

My fronts are well overdue a strip and lube.

I've got a sledge hammer standing by..

Any idea what size punch is required for front pads?

5-6mm I guess?

Just ordered some of the modified ones from Mr Pink on the thread top of the brakes forum. I think these are a nicer design

did see some official ones from next day brakes for £30 a side though

Thanks, is there somethin such as a concave type punch which would nestled over the slight taper on the p?ins, or is a regular straight one ok.

Thanks, is there somethin such as a concave type punch which would nestled over the slight taper on the p?ins, .

Yes you can get them like that, you'd be better off getting them in a set, halfords or machine mart would be a good place to start i'd have thought.

Thanks, is there somethin such as a concave type punch which would nestled over the slight taper on the p?ins, or is a regular straight one ok.

That's what I used. Made it about 0.001% easier :smiley: I made the mistake of just using a normal hammer though rather than something with some real weight behind it. :worried:

Yup 5mm will be spot on IIRC.

Good luck with it. Mine were easy but I have heard of them being cut out lol!!

That's what I used. Made it about 0.001% easier :smiley: I made the mistake of just using a normal hammer though rather than something with some real weight behind it. :worried:

hollow point punch and at least a 2lb hammer (i have a lovely little lump hammer at about 4lb) works a treat :thumbup:

I just use an extension from my socket set, works a treat but hold it tight to make sure you don't damage the paint on the calipers

Whoa . You guys weren't joking. A 4lb lump had trouble moving these babies luckily after some big swinging all came out in one piece and straight ! Managed to chip some paint around one slightly.

the hardest part was getting the inside pad out. mine would not budge! Had to get the caliper off to get a foot long screw driver in there and leant on it to pop the pad out.

No wonder the brakes hadn't been feeling great. The pad hadn't moved freely in a while you could tell by the thickness of the pad vs the outside.

Won't leave them this long again

Rubbed down the caliper with wet n dry where the pad sits so .they could be greased up and the new pads slide nicely

Took em out for a test drive and nearly went thru the windscreen at the junction at the end of my road. can't wait till the pads bed in.

Whoa . You guys weren't joking. A 4lb lump had trouble moving these babies luckily after some big swinging all came out in one piece and straight ! Managed to chip some paint around one slightly.

the hardest part was getting the inside pad out. mine would not budge! Had to get the caliper off to get a foot long screw driver in there and leant on it to pop the pad out.

No wonder the brakes hadn't been feeling great. The pad hadn't moved freely in a while you could tell by the thickness of the pad vs the outside.

Won't leave them this long again

Rubbed down the caliper with wet n dry where the pad sits so .they could be greased up and the new pads slide nicely

Took em out for a test drive and nearly went thru the windscreen at the junction at the end of my road. can't wait till the pads bed in.

so so common that.....they need a yearly strip! as do the rears!