What’s going on with my front bumper?!?

littleg78

Paid Member
Washed the car yesterday - and noticed that finish on my front bumper (where it meets the bonnet) looks awful!

EBB965C8-3572-403E-8657-F929AC06D39F.jpeg

First time I’ve noticed it - it’s kind of hazy, guessing previous owner did something crazy! Anything I can do to fix myself, or time to call in a professional?

PS - debadged the rear, then went R.S. logo only... I like it, matches the front and my gear knob!

7FB59C3E-9628-4B1E-AB6C-9C73A87A2608.jpeg

Reactions: Sean197
Looks like the lacquer either fading or peeling, or not having been put on properly. Do you know if it has had paint?

Daft question, it is like that in real life and not just a trick of the camera, or condensation forming on the plastic?

If there is still lacquer there, and it is just hazing of the clear coat then it might machine polish up, but if the lacquer is so thin or has started to come away, then you're going to need to sort the paint and have it clear coated again. Either way, I'd be seeking advice from a trusted paint shop.

Reactions: littleg78
Not sure if it’s ever had paint - I always thought it was a bit dull looking until I took that photo and it’s obviously very different.

The photo’s exactly what it looks like in real life - no visible water, peeling or hazing... maybe there is no lacquer!

I was assuming someone had gone wild with the old t-cut but could be worse!

2E82F315-5DD2-431F-867F-B6D0FBEF4816.jpeg

Close up of both bits - glossy bit is bonnet!

If you can feel a ridge between the lacquered part and the potentially unlacquered part I would think you are suffering from lacquer peel.

Reactions: littleg78
Took your advice and nipped over to my local shop - he put the machine polisher over it and it started to gloss up. Need a couple of other bits polishing so going to leave it with him later this week. If a polish does the job it’ll be a nice cheap fix for a change!

Reactions: R20BTG
True. Yet i was wondering if it will improve heat management for Megalio build as the radiator will be blocked by the intercooler.
I think the radiator sits a little bit lower to where the holes are. I have seen people drill where the number plate is, but the crash bar is right behind it. Might be worth some further investigation though.

I think the biggest difference for you lot with megane engines, would be to remove the air conditioning condenser. Appreciate that probably wouldn’t be very enjoyable in your climate.
I think it’s also important to run the standard air deflector which the Clio has to the left of the rad. That way air has no choice but to go through the rad instead of around it.

I think the radiator sits a little bit lower to where the holes are. I have seen people drill where the number plate is, but the crash bar is right behind it. Might be worth some further investigation though.

I think the biggest difference for you lot with megane engines, would be to remove the air conditioning condenser. Appreciate that probably wouldn’t be very enjoyable in your climate.
I think it’s also important to run the standard air deflector which the Clio has to the left of the rad. That way air has no choice but to go through the rad instead of around it.

This is what Airtec Radiator for Megalio is required too (removing the A/C condenser) which I came aware of. as the season is almost over here in Dubai, I'm planning to investigate how to fix in both Airtec dual fan Radiator + Header Tank in preparation for the next season.

one of the disadvantage of Megalio conversion is the Clio's engine bay size as hardly to consider bigger/alloy radiator.

custom air deflectors will be considered.

Thanks for your feedback @RSRowe

Reactions: bedoef and RSRowe