Going back to stock exhaust : Q about mid-pipe

Dutch_197

Paid Member
I am going back to the stock exhaust, this is because of the Akrapovic which came with the car being way to loud, the police is on the hunt for loud non-stock exhaust and I don't want to risk any big fines and/or vehicle confiscation of car papers by the road agency.

I have bought a good as new stock Renault muffler for a good price used, the midpipe with damper is not in stock said the dealer and way overpriced IMHO.

-What are the options for the midpipe? I want a good dampened sound, should I get a damper?

-Are there differences in the 197 / 200 midpipe? I found two aftermarket midpipes:

197 variant
Is the 200 different?

-Checking the drawings I got from the dealer it looks the car comes with a double cat? I have nothing like that, more a small cat. The lambda is placed in a longer socket in the cat, this is a trick to prevent check engine lights with the ECU throwing a code on emissions (used it on many cars) , it was already there.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject. I ofcourse could take the muffler and go to a cusstom exhaust shop and have a midscection custom. But they are quite expensive.

Clio3 RS.pngClio 3 RS header.pngClio 3 RS muffler.pngClio 3 RS cat.png

Attachments

• cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 39
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 37
  • midpipe.jpg
    midpipe.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 38
  • cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I bet it sound loud, not becaue of Akrapovic backbox, but becase you have just sports cat without silencer. I would leave Akrapovic in there and buy used original midsection, as suggested by RSrowe above.

I have got an Akrapovic exhaust which is connected to the standard manifold so it has the centre pipe, a box in the centre section and the back box. It is not that loud and creates a few pops and bangs when the car is driven hard and the exhaust gets hot, but when driving it around normally it is not noticeably louder than a standard system.

Today I had my stock muffler (as new) with custom stst tips and custom midpipe with sports damper.
All very nicely welded together with flat flanges. Superb job with a decent silent car as a result but still a good roar 6K+
Improved the mid range torque a lot, removed most of the flat spot and looks very good.
I like the sleeper/ stock look for exhaust, keeps the cops away.

The old exhaust was no Akrapovic but KTEC with Ali Express tips. Never had the plastic cover removed up till this afternoon.
Seemed the previous owner was all about badge and noise.

I drove home 75km without any problems. After getting home I went out after an hour and the CEL came on with emission system check.
The OBD reader showed code 136 and 141 which is lambda and heater. Bank 1.
I suspect lambda bank 1 O2 sensor because the waveform just goes up and down in a strange way.
Somehow I suspected this to happen. Two BOSCH sensors 100Euro not the money but maybe should have replaced them at the same time.

Attachments

• New rear1.jpg
    New rear1.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 25
  • New rear2.jpg
    New rear2.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: RSRowe