Going From 200 to 197

Phenom

Paid Member
So after having owned my Clio for 4 years, a transit tipper decided a needed a change of car. But I'm still firmly in the Clio camp and want to replace this but after nearly 3 months of back and forth with NFU, it seems no matter what I'm going to be left out of pocket after all of this trying to get an like for like replacement on my Clio. had an early 200 ff cup with recaros and genuine cup spoiler and cannot find another for the price the insurance are offering

but my main question is has anyone gone from 200 to a 197? is there any considerable difference? my main concern being the quicker rack on the 200.

I had a early full fat cup so my gaz golds will fit nicely onto a 197 or another early 200 but I'm struggling to find a early 200 for the price my insurance have offered me. i don't mind getting a later model 200 if its the right price.

any gone from 200 to 197? or have any advice for dealing with insurance companies in this case?IMG_20220617_144857.jpg

Your best bet is always to buy the car back and break it/keep the bits you want and sell the rest to a RS breaker.

Reactions: Phenom
Your best bet is always to buy the car back and break it/keep the bits you want and sell the rest to a RS breaker.
That was my original plan but NFU have a flat 35% buy back cost and not sure if i'd make back the 2 grand difference or not. ideally like to do this but not sure if i'd find another Clio as mint as mine which is the struggle I'm having anyway

That was my original plan but NFU have a flat 35% buy back cost and not sure if i'd make back the 2 grand difference or not. ideally like to do this but not sure if i'd find another Clio as mint as mine which is the struggle I'm having anyway
Yeah that’s quite a difference in payout. It may or may not be worth your while buying back from a money making perspective as you need the time and space to break it.

But if you’ve got bits on there which you can put into a lower spec Clio that’s cheaper to buy, it may be worthwhile?

As is on your current Clio:
Recaros (no bolster wear) - £1100
Spoiler - £300
Front bumper and wings -£500
Wheels - £350+
Drivetrain - £1000+

They’re the same car essentially, regardless of what you read online fro journalist reviews.

Having driven both extensively, I think the only real pros on the 200 are the shorter ratio gears, and the longer 6th if you do a bit of motorway miles.
It makes for a car which feels much nippier in short sprints, but also makes it nicer to live with on longer journeys.

Yeah that’s quite a difference in payout. It may or may not be worth your while buying back from a money making perspective as you need the time and space to break it.

But if you’ve got bits on there which you can put into a lower spec Clio that’s cheaper to buy, it may be worthwhile?

As is on your current Clio:
Recaros (no bolster wear) - £1100
Spoiler - £300
Front bumper and wings -£500
Wheels - £350+
Drivetrain - £1000+
don't have any of the front end as i got pushed into the rear of a 1 week old kia ev6 and it exploded in a mix of white and black plastic.

already got some steels to go in place of the wheels i have on it.

Might see if i can get someone to swap my recaros with the standard seats with some cash my way and then let the insurance have it.

Thanks guys

They’re the same car essentially, regardless of what you read online fro journalist reviews.

Having driven both extensively, I think the only real pros on the 200 are the shorter ratio gears, and the longer 6th if you do a bit of motorway miles.
It makes for a car which feels much nippier in short sprints, but also makes it nicer to live with on longer journeys.
hadn't thought about the ratios, might see if someone local to me wouldn't mind me having a little blast in a 197. as sailing through the gears on the 200 was , but as you say they are pretty much the same car so might end up biting the bullet anyway

If you have the money I would buy back the car and keep it for spare parts because you know what you have.
It sucks to be rear ended, but for parting out it is best.
What is the mileage on engine and box? Might be interested but since Brexit EU countries pay import on parts from UK it might not be worthwhile for me.

Challenge the insurance company to find one exactly the same as your old one for the money they’re offering
I tried asking them that, and they said that's not an option it's take the money or take less money and keep the fucked one. dunno if I'm being lied to there. If I could find one identical to mine for the money they are offering I would have taken it. But dunno if I'm being taken for a mug

Provide as much evidence as you can on prices for similar cars. Third offer is almost always the best
Ah okay so got one more offer to go and hopefully will be happy, I have supplied them a spreadsheet comparing my Clio Vs others for sale.

Hopefully will get a answer I want after another 45 on hold on Monday