WET TRACK TYRES

Garysp2

Paid Member
Evening all, question on wet tyres for track
currently running 215 width tyres on my 197 track car

edging towards some Michelin pilot sports for the wet track option

Any benefit or disadvantage running 205 wet tyres???

Michelin PS4 are a great road and wet circuit tyre, if you can get proper race wets then start there… running a 205 seems odd. I’d stick between 215 & 235

Reactions: Garysp2
I guess there's an argument that says running skinny tyres will cut through any standing water better. The wider the tyre the more surface water it needs to move. Assuming we're talking about real wet conditions here, not just damp or mildly wet, then I'd prefer a 205 tyre to a 235 tyre personally. I'd also be looking at the Uniroyal Rainsports as an option. I run them as a pure wet tyre and literally dance round almost all cars on track in torrential weather. It's great fun.

Reactions: Garysp2 and Big Ben
Having run the PS4 tyres at a icy and wet Donington a few weeks back I’d very much recommend them.

Great for the road and awesome on a slippery track.

I was passing many cars I didn’t really have the right to go past.

Drove a couple others whilst there on the day as well and was amazed at how much grip I had in comparison.

It did make me think how amazing racing wets must be. But I struggle to justify another set of wheels that I can then use on top.

Plus can only fit one set in the car it self. So would rather run with a set of PS4 on the car for the drive to the track and then direzzas/slicks on the car for if it’s dry.

Rainsports are a good shout for sure.

The only issue in my experience, is they’re only decent in monsoon conditions compared to the likes of a PS4.
As soon as the standing water disappeared, you’d struggle to keep up.

Reactions: Garysp2
I guess there's an argument that says running skinny tyres will cut through any standing water better. The wider the tyre the more surface water it needs to move. Assuming we're talking about real wet conditions here, not just damp or mildly wet, then I'd prefer a 205 tyre to a 235 tyre personally. I'd also be looking at the Uniroyal Rainsports as an option. I run them as a pure wet tyre and literally dance round almost all cars on track in torrential weather. It's great fun.

that was my idea, narrow tyre cuts through the wet better.........................but undecided if im good enough on track to feel any benefit!

cheers for your responses guys.....\currenty sat with rainspout and michelins in my basket on black circles :smile:

that was my idea, narrow tyre cuts through the wet better.........................but undecided if im good enough on track to feel any benefit!
I think this works only in really really wet conditions.

My guess is that most of the time the wider would be better as more contact equals more grip even in the wet?

So ive decided on the PS4, only question now is...........V or Y rating
are the Y (extra land) beneficial to the track, currently running gaz golds and rock hard track springs

Similar Thread Suggestions