understeer galore

c197mark

Renault Parts Advisor
Platinum Member
my car understeers massively, just wondering if any one thats fitted the rear strut brace to their cars have the same problem because it seems to be since i fitted that, i checked me tyres today and theyve got plenty of meat on them even tho they are s**t tyres thanks to the previous owner so its not the tyres i dnt think, so im not sure? dnt know if its coz im used to the car and now driving it harder than i was before, on the way to work this morning the front end stepped out lots on 4 occasions. i might try a differnet set of tyres on the front and see how that goes.

my car understeers massively, just wondering if any one thats fitted the rear strut brace to their cars have the same problem because it seems to be since i fitted that, i checked me tyres today and theyve got plenty of meat on them even tho they are s**t tyres thanks to the previous owner so its not the tyres i dnt think, so im not sure? dnt know if its coz im used to the car and now driving it harder than i was before, on the way to work this morning the front end stepped out lots on 4 occasions. i might try a differnet set of tyres on the front and see how that goes.

Mine started understeering when I switched to KW V3, but I do have 5x better tyres at the rear (they start vibrating @ 170km/h so I had to place them on the rear wheels). I need to fine tune the KW, and mount the R888 and then I'll know better.

Last edited:
yea it mite be down to the tyres they are some crappy budget tyres that the previous owner put on, its got conti sport contact 3's on the back and champion tyres on the front why bother puttin cheapy tyres on a 197?

yea it mite be down to the tyres they are some crappy budget tyres that the previous owner put on, its got conti sport contact 3's on the back and champion tyres on the front why bother puttin cheapy tyres on a 197?

It's probably because of the crappy tyres...I think that's my problem.

Try to switch the wheels just to try it out.

My bet is on the tyres. Be careful if you swap the fronts for rears though....oversteer might catch you out instead!

most probably is just the tyres, but it could also be that youve increased the grip on the back end with the strut brace, and the car now has more grip on the rear end than on the front end, leading to understeer?

Sounds like the tyres to me too pal

Never skrimp on the only things that are keeping you in contact with the ground :smile:

If anything the rear strut should give you more over steer than anything, get decent tyres on and feel the difference. As said only thing the car has on the road is tyres.

yea its the tyres i swapped front to rear and it drives much better nice bit of oversteer now as the crap tyres are on the rear going to get a full det of new tyres just dnt know wat ones to get?

yea was guna go conti ive got 2 sport contact 3s on it at the mo so will prob get a full set of new ones and keep 2 for spare

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ZorkoRS197 Clio 197 Area 1
AshK Suspension, Brakes & Steering 1
Kazumz Wheels and Tyres 29