Ultra Red 200

Very nice wheels mate. I've got a set of speed lines in the garage waiting to go on, worried about curbing them though!!

Had new discs and pads all around and bought some Speedlines, thanks to DB_CLIO. Next plan is to paint the calipers red

WP_20150301_16_12_17_Pro.jpg

How are you planning on painting the calipers, are you doing them yourself or getting them done professionally? [MENTION=51833]Adam_R[/MENTION]

Had a service today just cos i wanted to get on done since ive had the car even tho the dealer did one before i bought it. Cotton filter change and oil & filter, left spark plugs for the time being. Got my mechanic to check knocking on passenger side front and its a ball joint and cant just replace the ball joint apparently, and gonna cost around £170 to be done. Also slight blowing coming from exhaust that needs sorting eventually, and suspicions heat shield under black plastic at back is either rotted a bit or loose cos when underneath is knocked its got a bit of rattle to it. More money to spend on the car :/ but its all worth it

if its the ball joint needing replacing than try to get some ball joints from Renault Wolwerhampton.they do sell them separately..

also there some ebay too..think £60 a piece...

Last edited:
Yep, as Pav says, the ball joint is available as a separate part and doesn't have to be done as an entire unit. The cost you've been quoted isn't extortionate, but it is available cheaper.

Its the hub carrier ball joint, And im reading thru previous topics thru the search and seeing that it cant be changed seperately ?

Just had mine looked at, called swivel bearings on these and they're £60/side. Quoted £280 for the work Inc vat. Getting pads done too, be easier than separately later on.

Yep, as Pav says, the ball joint is available as a separate part and doesn't have to be done as an entire unit. The cost you've been quoted isn't extortionate, but it is available cheaper.
It's available as a separate part but isn't a simple swap, not that many garages have liquid nitrogen on tap.

So is it a new hub carrier im going to need? With the ball joint obviously

Yes, although as said, the ball joint is available as a seperate part and reduced cost. But as Ant has pointed out, not many garages can replace the ball joint on it's own as it is a tricky job. The £170 you have been quoted isn't really that bad (I paid £120 for mine to be done at a garage in Chesterfield), however some people have been quoted much more, like Shells.

Edit: just to add, it's the lower ball joint that we're referring to.

Last edited: