Track/Weekend car

Legend@wheels

Gold Member
hi (not sure if it is the right place for this thread)
as i'm aware there is alot of people that are using their cars as a track/weekend car(and so am i )
i'm really curious how often do you start up/drive your car to avoid faster wear /harm .
as far as i know engine that didnt work for a long time might stuck (but thats for really long time ),plus engine that didnt work for a long time can have harder startup since the parts inside wasnt lubricated properly .
so whats the best method to keep our cars healthy if we use them once a week or even for longer period of times (mid driving only to move the car /run the engine ,or any other ideas )
as for me im trying to atleast start the car every 3-4days and drive it for 6-10km atleast .(pointless?needless? dont know ..)
cheeeeeers

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about letting it stand for the better part of a week before using it. Just make sure it's fully warmed up (usually takes a good 15-20 minutes for the coolant and oil to reach their operating temperatures). Turning it off/on to let it idle or just drive it round the block will probably do more harm than good as it won't get up to temperature properly and in cold weather you'll get condensation building up too.

If your only doing 1-2 track days a year I wouldn't worry too much, just keep it well serviced. I usually let it tick over for about 15-20seconds after coming to a stop before turning the engine off after a drive, but in fairness that probably isn't needed on an N/A car. It's more a habit I got into after owning a few turbo cars.

If your doing a number of track days a year then the first thing to upgrade is the oil. While the Renault/ELF stuff is good enough it soon starts to reach it's limits under constant track use. A lot of people swear by Fuchs Titan Race Pro S

You could also look into getting a spare set of alloys, maybe some lighter ones with proper track tyres on so you don't ruin your daily road tyres.

Powerflex Engine mount bushes will also help to protect the manifold from engine movement.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about letting it stand for the better part of a week before using it. Just make sure it's fully warmed up (usually takes a good 15-20 minutes for the coolant and oil to reach their operating temperatures). Turning it off/on to let it idle or just drive it round the block will probably do more harm than good as it won't get up to temperature properly and in cold weather you'll get condensation building up too.

If your only doing 1-2 track days a year I wouldn't worry too much, just keep it well serviced. I usually let it tick over for about 15-20seconds after coming to a stop before turning the engine off after a drive, but in fairness that probably isn't needed on an N/A car. It's more a habit I got into after owning a few turbo cars.

If your doing a number of track days a year then the first thing to upgrade is the oil. While the Renault/ELF stuff is good enough it soon starts to reach it's limits under constant track use. A lot of people swear by Fuchs Titan Race Pro S

You could also look into getting a spare set of alloys, maybe some lighter ones with proper track tyres on so you don't ruin your daily road tyres.

Powerflex Engine mount bushes will also help to protect the manifold from engine movement.

Thx for the reply ,
Im not driving the car around the block 6-10km it get fully heated (its about 20mins run).
And about the engine mounts personally i dont like the pf stuff ,its hard and rattling the car ,it make the car ride flatter/tighter ( which i dont like ,i love to play with the car's weight) and with less flexi bushes and mounts it is deserve less weight deliveries ( @corners) sure the sus is the more influence factor here but still it has effect too.
And about the oil and the whole treatment im taking care of it and doing them before renault's schedule service time/km.
I just.. Lets say it this way: whats the possible limit of time not to drive the car without harming the car's engine gearbox and pretty much everything else[emoji16]

theoretically even if ill drive the car once a month it will have the same wear effect as every 3-4days drive?(im pretty much sure it is not the same )

P.s sorry if my english is not that understandable [emoji13]

Last edited:
Nah if you drive it for an hour you'll have an hours worth if wear, providing there's no other factors involved such as ragging when cold. If you don't use it for 2 to 3 months then you've saved 2 to 3 months worth if wear.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Nah if you drive it for an hour you'll have an hours worth if wear, providing there's no other factors involved such as ragging when cold. If you don't use it for 2 to 3 months then you've saved 2 to 3 months worth if wear.

Not rly mate ,the engine startup donate alot to the engine's wear ,not tested but i would say one cold start cause more wear than 10 hours of driving.
See the question as this : once a week start/drive worth same wear to car as once a month start/drive?( i think once a week it is healthier )plus i was curious about other fellas methods.
Tbh i hope that start once a month or even 2 is the same wear as once a week/everyday hah

Last edited:
Not rly mate ,the engine startup donate alot to the engine's wear ,not tested but i would say one cold start cause more wear than 10 hours of driving.
See the question as this : once a week start/drive worth same wear to car as once a month start/drive?( i think once a week it is healthier )plus i was curious about other fellas methods.
Tbh i hope that start once a month or even 2 is the same wear as once a week/everyday hah
If your car is off for more than a few hours, then you are conducting a cold start.

A few months with the car sitting will be far better than daily driving it for wear. Providing it doesn't sit long enough to seize ☺

You are right after 6-7 hrs its already a cold start but i suppose even if its cold start but been 2-3 days the engine is still lubricated ,and after a month probably all the inside part will be more dry .which mean more hard start [emoji21] anyhow i hope you right and with your method i will not need to run the car every few days because the fear of extra wear [emoji108]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oh and by the way i'm using xcess 8100 ,castrol edge most of the time,and my "track use" is an hour -+ once or twice sometimes three times a month .
And im not sure if better oil is really needed (?) [MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION]
Tbh i was thinking to put the motul 300 v instaed but wasnt sure if it was really required..(pro s not reach able here).
I do service oil every 3k km 6months ( which come first ,and i also thought maybe i should make it 3k/year ).
I dont know why but i have reservations from those racing oils(pro s 300 v etc)maybe it is because of its grade standards that doesnt fit to renault's requirements (sl,and some lower grades ).
Maybe all those grades its all about emissions only and not about performance ,wear and so on .
dunno..

Last edited:
If your concerned about the engine not being lubricated on startup couldn't you just pull the plug off the injector loom and then crank the car a couple times to get everything lubricated before a proper start up?

Tbh that is what i used to do with the sti,just with the fuse method but it is also not the best after all .
As a conclusion i think just hope for good haha

Last edited: