Track Clio 197 engine mods...the next step

Luke69

Paid Member
Hi guys,
We´ve jsut recently finished my Clio 197 for Spanish TimeAttack series and after a couple of rounds Ive got Type R´s flying past me left right and centre...need to get some more power out this F4R.
Im thinking of
-Catcams
-ITB´s
-Inyectors
-Fuel pump
-Remap
Have already got a straight through exhaust and 4-1 manifold but seems to be down on power, just about got past a Golf III GTI 150bhp on the straights...
What you guys think ?? anything else Im gonna need ??
IMG_7392 como objeto inteligente-1.jpg

Depends on the track mate. Type R's are faster than these clio's but IMO, you can push the Clio harder in the corners providing you've chosen the right rubber.

Catcams and ITB's would work for you if it's NA only. Have you tried looking under the bonnet of the type r's that are flying past you? I said the Type R's were faster, but they shouldn't be flying past you at all, more gradually.

I'm assuming they're flying past him because they're modified, id imagine quite extensively too being in TA racing.

CTR's are easy to extract power from, just a few breather mods, cams ect and they're up on 240+Hp. Awesome engines.

As for handling, the CTR's are independant suspension on the rear too as far as I'm aware, so the Geo can be set up better being able to adjust each corner, rather than having a rear beam like the Clio's.

if you've got the money, ITB's, cams and ECU should sort the power out.

Well alot has been spent on the car so far to get in as it is...but the engine is the only thing that we havent spent much time/money on so far. So wallet is shaking abit at the mo but Im thinking maybe 3-4k euros might be a feesable budget...
We were at Albacete circuit yesterday and there was a standard ep3 that I couldnt keep up with in a straight line... few weeks back we were at another circuit and there were a few itb'd ep3's on about 250 260bhp and as you can imagine they were just flying past...
We are running soft compound tyres used in the WTCC so theyre nice and sticky.
Easy thing would be to fit F4RT but that would then put me into the next category so need to keep it N/A :worried:

3-4k will get you about 15 bhp! I know of a build that cost 37k and got 245 revving to 12,000rpm. So you gotta go deep mate!

Ull never match type r's , they can get power out of them a lot easier. Some in uk time attack running 270bhp.

With mods got though, a standard type r shouldn't be flying past

ud be better supercharging it or Megane lUmp
and go into forced induction group

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitaldaz
Ouch...anywhere i can see more info on that build ?? Sounds interesting

I don't no where any details are. I was speaking to Shaun a jade developments, it's one of his customers with deep pockets and more money than sense. He says it went well but needed rebuilding every 4000km.

These engines just arnt up to it. Nothing will be remotely standard in it other that the block.

As said a K20 engine can get 250 on breathing mods alone.

Yeah F4RT would be the easy way forward but the problem is that would put me into the next category so I need to keep it 2.0 N/A.
Would be happy with 220 240bhp but how easy / cheap / achievable would that be

Depends how reliable you want it, but 240bhp would need a solid lifter top end so you won't be getting any change from £10,000 done properly.

Just put a K20 in and box, it won't be mega torque so you could run cut shafts no problem.

[MENTION=58]Raptor6767[/MENTION] what mods you got ? Think ive seen a thread of your car on here with loooots of info

@Raptor6767 what mods you got ? Think ive seen a thread of your car on here with loooots of info

Some of the mods:

Engine:
Catcams 5504402
V6 Ph2 airbox & K&N panel filter
R3 modified front carbon intake
Matched & ported inlet manifold with HDPE gasket
64mm throttle body
Aluminium 520g lightweight crank pulley
Y-pipe, Miltek decat & catback exhaust
remap
= ~210bhp

Suspension: