Track Clio 197 engine mods...the next step

Depending on the rollers.

I would rather have "only" 210bhp and have a car that runs like it has 20bhp more than the other way around. :wink:

Last week:

[video]https://youtu.be/VNZaXsxq8qc[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/c83df7nWAXw[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/jOLZIjmmVP0[/video]

Last edited:
Wow all that and still only 210bhp :worried:

Renaultsport has squeezed about everything out that engine to start with. It was never an engine that was going to win any awards anyway, and along with the gearbox is about as bad a standard 2 litre NA I've driven. The clio is all about the handling and brakes which even standard are an incredible package. I drove a Civic this weekend and if the clio had that engine with its handling would have been something else....

Yeah good point [MENTION=58]Raptor6767[/MENTION] . Did really weel against the Meg, Ive also got an R26 with a few mods and its tempting just to take the engine out of that lol
uploadfromtaptalk1428395265658.jpg

I was, and still am thinking about some kind of forced induction, but when I see how well I keep up with the Megane it just doesn't make sense to me now (when I have a lot of € in the engine).
But, if I were to do it all over again - I would Meg it for sure.

P.S. I'm really anxious to see if and what kind of gains will I get with the custom made carbon intake manifold. It should be on the car by the end of this month if everything goes as planned (that's another 500€ just for experiment).

I had both and FI does not take it to another level but might be contradicting myself, I do think the Clio should be NA. It I was starting again, I'd use the money to Meg the Clio and just buy a Meg r26 and have the best of both worlds....

I'm seriously thinking about supercharging the Clio. But that mostly depends on the amount of € needed to install it (I might get SC cheap and go from there)...but one step at a time. :smiley:

I'm assuming they're flying past him because they're modified, id imagine quite extensively too being in TA racing.

CTR's are easy to extract power from, just a few breather mods, cams ect and they're up on 240+Hp. Awesome engines.

As for handling, the CTR's are independant suspension on the rear too as far as I'm aware, so the Geo can be set up better being able to adjust each corner, rather than having a rear beam like the Clio's.

if you've got the money, ITB's, cams and ECU should sort the power out.

Which engine is this? K20a (2.0) or F20c?

Do you homework mate, forums are great for advice but also very good at spending your money for you!! Often the advice isn't based on their experiences but on others or Google. FI is great but does come with its problems. It's not plug n play and there's addition problems like heat displacement and fueling.

The main problem is I need to keep it NA to stay in the same category in the TA, otherwise the "easy" way round would be fitting the Meg engine...

First find out if you can put the Honda lump in and stay in the same NA category? If you can then measure up and get serious because you won't keep up in straightline terms without it!

If you think that a tuned K20 is anywhere from 240-250bhp pretty easily and that 260bhp is not exactly hard - to get even 240bhp out of your F4R will probably cost you more than putting a 240bhp K20 and box in! It's an easy choice. I've pretty much just experianced this exact thing, F4R is a waste of time.

Yeah with a K20 in there I would still stay in the same category...looks like time to start K20 searching

If it will install without much trouble, make a few sets of mounts and drive shafts etc, you'll sell them no problem :wink:

Putting a completely different manufacturer engine will not be as easy as 'dropping it in'. Not in a clio, big modifications will be needed, new ECU, custom loom, the driveshafts won't match, You'll need a new dash, the list will go on. When will you lot learn lol! Just buy something else lol! :smile:

Have had a word with the garage that are in charge of the car and theyre not upto attempting to fit a k20 so need to get some more power out the current lump

That's why i asked wether it's a full track car.....

getting the engine to run is easy, aslong as you don't need all the crap in the car