Track Clio 197 engine mods...the next step

I had the consideration to remove the VVTs entirely, what would be your opinion on that? What needs to be done and whether the hp/torque gain would be good?

Think you got a good point there that it may be a lottery to assume that the cams match up.

I wouldn't remove VVT on milder cams (402/403 and probably still keep it on 404's) and also wouldn't remove it without having forged pistons for extra clearance.
You won't achieve much to be honest unless you have bigger cams, however with ITB's you could put some massive cams in and still retain a decent idle so then yes I would ditch the VVT and install verniers at that point (405's and above, 100% on all solid lifter profile cams).
Everything should be designed to work together which is why if you don't set a budget and target bhp, you'll waste a lot of money replacing items and re-tuning.

We initially thought that the timings were off but we were not able to ascertain. We kinda accepted the hp figures due to the higher ambient temp as compared to UK. (I'm in malaysia)
Rich, when you mention the dial gauge what do you mean? Do share more on how to do this or what tools necessary to do this. Really would like to get it right if really its' 180@wheels!

You should of got CORRECTED POWER with the temp/air humidity & pressure taken into the account.

You should have less WHP then us, but when the software calculates above mentioned - your BHP should be bigger than ours (or to be more precise - WHP multiplied with a bigger number).

Last edited:
yes, i believe it was taken into account as we ran other cars (honda,etc) which showed horsepower which was above 200 on the wheel.

Think that I really need to look at the timing on the engine, but I wonder where to start! No Renault tuning houses here... and not sure whether Renault themselves can do it.
Raptor/Rich do you have a guide to cam timing?