Track car on a budget!

Having previously owned a meglio, for those of you that dont know the car, search for "optimus primer" so do know how the megane engine cars go... I stupidly sold it for a new Focus Rs, which i regretted from the moment I sold it!

The issue I'm finding on trackdays, is that I'm catching most cars through the bends, but then loose out massively down the straights.
Im still waiting on BC to get the redesigned front shocks to me, so I know that once I can dial some camber into the front and get it fully geo'd then i will be able to find more time in the car!

On another note, if I was to get the ball rolling for camshafts to be manufactured for the 197/200, how many people would be genuinely interested?

A little update again for those waiting. I took delivery of the revised front strut units from BC...these ones fit the hub and I have managed to get one side fitted up over the course of this weekend, between doing general daddy duties!
20210924_135159.jpg20210926_151804.jpg20210926_180255.jpg

Finally a very long awaited update with regards to the coilovers. I have pushed for these for the last 6 months or so!

20220106_184621.jpg

So this will allow for easier adjustments to the rear ride height.

I've only done a very small amount of road miles with the fronts fitted, but the drive is very positive. I have a few trackdays booked, so looking forward to see how much progress has been made.

I've got some standard camshafts that we will get around to measuring soon. Then hoping to get some new camshafts organised, which should give us some better numbers!

Reactions: suj and RSRowe
If anyone has the specs that they are looking for, I can certainly look into it and get lead times

- Intake Camshaft 288°
- Cam lift intake 6,18mm
- Valve lift intake 12,30mm
- Lift in TDC 0,15-3,95mm
- Lobe Angel 138-98°

- Exhaust Camshaft 288°
- Cam lift exhaust 5,78mm
- Valve lift exhaust 11,65mm
- Lift in TDC 0,15-9,95mm
- Peak timing exhaust [CrA°] 104°

Reactions: leeboy and R20BTG
Cheers for that...i shall pass onto my technical director and see what we can do.
The longest part will be getting the new castings done, so that we can then grind to profile.

Do aftermarket cam's not already exist for the 197/200?
Im also considering a turbo for my 200 as i feel it needs just a little more on the straights on track.

Do aftermarket cam's not already exist for the 197/200?
Im also considering a turbo for my 200 as i feel it needs just a little more on the straights on track.

They do exist already...but as i work where you had some done for your noble, it seems like a wasted opportunity not to Andy :wink:

Had the car back on the lift yesterday, to get these latest rear spring perches fitted. I have to say, a far better fit with plenty of easy adjustment in comparison to the shim style setup. Also did the tracking up front too!
20220122_095436.jpg

Attachments

• 20220122_095434.jpg
    20220122_095434.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Sean197 and RSRowe
Had the car stuck on a hunter, by someone i know who owed me a favour...i wanted to know how much camber the BC's were providing up front and to get an idea of where we are. He made a few adjustments...but i think i need more toe out up front.
What would everyones experience/knowledge of which way to go and what shims to order at the back?received_2094203437425068.jpeg

How do you see the car drivability with this setup at the moment?

with respect to the rear shims, what's your target rear toe/camber?

I'm running with -2.5 front, -2.0 rear, 0 toe for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Ben