Track car on a budget!

Another couple of small additions recently.
Another sabelt Taurus for the passenger side and a sabelt cup racer 6 point harness to match. Along with Puretrack direct seat mounts.20210608_192506.jpg
I got around to fitting the track day door cards too, which helps to make it all look abit tidy!
20210630_212703.jpg

Time for another update...I think a few of you will be interested in this one!

For the last couple of months I have been incontact with the guys at Apex distribution, who are the UK importers for Hard race, K-sport, Ohlins and BC Racing.
After exchanging details and getting some bits organised I took delivery of the first set of BC coilovers for the MK3.
First impressions are that they are very well made and having previously ran them on my mk5 golf gti track car I am sure these will be prefect for the road and occasional track days.
20210711_180901.jpg

I have the car all stripped down and I am really looking forward to providing the feedback!

How much were they? I spoke to Tom at BTT Motorsport today and he said they were about to land but he didn't have a price yet

How much were they? I spoke to Tom at BTT Motorsport today and he said they were about to land but he didn't have a price yet

These are the development set, so once we are happy with them, then I believe production will then follow. I believe they will be around the £900 figure from what I can work out...but im not entirely sure!

Reactions: Helpimonfire
Good work on the BCs, I contacted BC direct probably over 3 years ago, as the fronts are same as Mégane (just will need different spring rates) but the rears would need a new design, they said they'd get back to me, after a lot of chasing and not a lot of replies, I gave up, I think they could have shifted a lot of units if they did.

Is that a thread on the rear shock?

Yeah it's to set the rear droop.

We have had a slight issue with the fronts fitting in the hub correctly, but a solution is being organised...its not a problem and this is the point of having a development set, to try and iron out any potential issues.
The rears are on the car and fit perfectly! You may notice that there is no adjustable spring perch/seat - instead BC have gone the route of supplying shims- which you can then machine down to your required height if one if the options is not to your liking.20210718_132550.jpg

Reactions: wootwoot and suj
I find this very odd, what is the reasoning for not having an adjustable platform that so many manufacturers (including BC) provide?
Shims would be better as nothing to move or loosen (if droop is set right), but the adjustability of the platform outweighs the cons surely?

I asked this question too, as it seems a little strange, but was told that BC didn't think there was enough room - i cant see that being right as the ktec kit that is on the car uses an adjustable platform.
The only other reason i can think of is cost? Maybe by adding this, would out price the kit?
I guess that using this setup is also going to prove tricky when i get to the position to corner weight the car ‍♂️

I'm going to have to learn how to set the droop correctly too!

Reactions: suj
I asked this question too, as it seems a little strange, but was told that BC didn't think there was enough room - i cant see that being right as the ktec kit that is on the car uses an adjustable platform.
The only other reason i can think of is cost? Maybe by adding this, would out price the kit?
I guess that using this setup is also going to prove tricky when i get to the position to corner weight the car ‍♂

I'm going to have to learn how to set the droop correctly too!

Space can't be the problem, as B14 and Yellowspeed Racing both come with adjustable platforms.

Their price point is more than Yellowspeed from what you've quoted as rough prices, both Monotube dampers, both have adjustable top mounts, both have adjustable rear dampers for droop, weird.

PS I'm not having a go at you lol, so just want to make that clear, it's their decision, as to me that is a big thing that would put me off.

Exactly what I was just about to say about corner weighting, you cannot do it (unless you have loads of shims to keep taking them out to get the right height). As you're testing them, I would definitely feedback the concern about no adjustable platform, as you don't sound too happy about it?

Droop is dead easy to do, so you set your static ride height from spring, once you're happy with that, you undo the lower collar, then turn the whole damper in or out, so that the spring is just captive (this is zero droop or preload).

Front is nearly same, set preload on spring (the spring will say what the length is, let's say 200mm, so you want to just do up the collar so that the spring is again just done, or use the length as a reference).
Then do up the collar to the spring collar, then undo the lowest collar, then turn the body in and out to set your front ride height (I use a C-spanner on the spring perch collars, as they're locked together now, they will turn the body).

A little update on the car, seeibg as it had another outing on Wednesday evening at brands.
The BC coilovers didn't arrive back in time and the latest update was early September...fingers crossed!

The weather was on our side this time and managed to get many laps in! Although some laps were a little lairy compared to others...it was my fault due to rushing to get the car back together and not settling the rear ride height correctly with the ktec kit and so it was jacked up at the rear and really did initiate oversteer quickly!

If you are bored and fancy a watch -
2021-08-12_10-28-18.jpg2021-08-12_10-15-56.jpg

Beginning to think that I need some more power, as I cam keep with most things in the twisties...but get destroyed down the straights!

Having owned a meglio previously, not really wanting to go that route if i can help it. Has anyone successfully done a low boost conversion, like the 172/182 guys do? I dont need loads of power, but just a few more ponies will help!
I have read something about the megane 225 manifold and turbo does fit - so I guess the hardest part will be fitting a oil feed/return pipe?
I've had a search on here, but cannot find too much information...can anyone offer some advice or opinions on this?

Beginning to think that I need some more power, as I cam keep with most things in the twisties...but get destroyed down the straights!

Having owned a meglio previously, not really wanting to go that route if i can help it. Has anyone successfully done a low boost conversion, like the 172/182 guys do? I dont need loads of power, but just a few more ponies will help!
I have read something about the megane 225 manifold and turbo does fit - so I guess the hardest part will be fitting a oil feed/return pipe?
I've had a search on here, but cannot find too much information...can anyone offer some advice or opinions on this?

I have a friend/fabricator who's currently looking at making a clio mk3 turbo manifold, so could put you guys in touch. Alternatively you could go down the Supercharged route??

Just get faster in the twisties, it’s a lot more fun!
This is my philosophy, and as such have resisted the FI route so far. I have KW v2's and Powerflex Black just about everywhere, and currently looking at solid bushes and seriously considering a Madeno Bilstein setup in the near future. I can pretty much keep up with 99% of cars on smaller circuits and in the twisties on larger circuits, but long straights kill me.

Reactions: R20BTG and LiamP
The candle that burns twice as bright, only lasts half as long...

Last edited:
We've a guy here that builds Meglios. The first were M2RS conversions but the last one has an M3RS engine and gearbox. Presumably has a little over 300hp and goes like hell. Had a passenger ride in it last meeting and was mighty impressed.

This is my philosophy, and as such have resisted the FI route so far. I have KW v2's and Powerflex Black just about everywhere, and currently looking at solid bushes and seriously considering a Madeno Bilstein setup in the near future. I can pretty much keep up with 99% of cars on smaller circuits and in the twisties on larger circuits, but long straights kill me.
So all that’s missing is more horsepower! Still have a great handling car but arrive at corners carrying greater speed which requires more skill and balls. Best of both worlds.
I am biased though:thumb:

Last edited: