To Upgrade or Simply Replace

Tom

Platinum Member
First off: You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I don't know too much regarding brakes and I am still learning...

So, following my MOT last month I was warned that my rear disks were corroding and my front ones weren't far behind. He said it was probably best I got new disks and pads before my next MOT.

As per usual, Renault was not cheap.

So, is it worth upgrading while the change is on the books?

Is there a huge price difference - if any?

I have a rear wheel bearing going - I was told the Renault Brake Disks have them fitted. Do uprated brakes have them too?

If a change is recommended, what disks and pads do people recommend and where should I buy them?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

if your only using on the road then stick to standard and also cheaper - have you tried the traders on here for prices.....some good offers around at the moment

replacement discs come with bearings and abs rings

When my insurance goes down in a year or two, this car will be a dedicated track car; For now, I won't do too many.

I got a good price off Karl for standard brakes. I just wondered if the upgrades were much more as I know Renault have a tendency for being overpriced.

How much more are the uprated brakes you're thinking of / what are they?

Cheers man.

Brakes are one area where manufacturer branded parts tend to be expensive; the discs will be made by a tier one brake component manufacturer, typically Brembo for the fronts, not sure on the rears, but probably Brembo, Ferodo, etc. With the pads being something similar. So long as you get parts from a recognised tier 1 manufacturer, such as Brembo, Ferodo, Bosch, Mintex, etc. you should be fine, and will be able to make a considerable saving even compared to a discounted manufacturer price.

It is important to double check the dimensions;

Fronts 312mm, 5 stud
Rears 300mm x 11mm, 5 stud - I am only 99% certain on this.

The most common mistake people make is ordering a part that the retailer says is for the RS Clio but is actually just for the bog standard Clio. Easiest way to tell quite often is by the number of wheel bolt holes; only the RS has 5 stud wheels.

As far as pads are concerned, do your research, check that the picture looks right and you should be fine.

Some aftermarket discs will come with the bearing and ABS pickup, some won't, but they will specify if the do or don't.

In terms of upgrades, best thing I did was get grooved two piece AP front discs, but they are v. expensive. I ran those with Ferodo DS2500 pads at the front and standard / Bosch at the rear and the brakes were great. For a cheaper option try Godspeed brakes, I think they may do grooved single piece discs. Oh, another way to check on front brakes is that the discs and pads are the same size / fit as the Megane 225/230. Don't think the rears are though.

Good luck!

Brakes are one area where manufacturer branded parts tend to be expensive; the discs will be made by a tier one brake component manufacturer, typically Brembo for the fronts, not sure on the rears, but probably Brembo, Ferodo, etc. With the pads being something similar. So long as you get parts from a recognised tier 1 manufacturer, such as Brembo, Ferodo, Bosch, Mintex, etc. you should be fine, and will be able to make a considerable saving even compared to a discounted manufacturer price.

It is important to double check the dimensions;

Fronts 312mm, 5 stud
Rears 300mm x 11mm, 5 stud - I am only 99% certain on this.

The most common mistake people make is ordering a part that the retailer says is for the RS Clio but is actually just for the bog standard Clio. Easiest way to tell quite often is by the number of wheel bolt holes; only the RS has 5 stud wheels.

As far as pads are concerned, do your research, check that the picture looks right and you should be fine.

Some aftermarket discs will come with the bearing and ABS pickup, some won't, but they will specify if the do or don't.

In terms of upgrades, best thing I did was get grooved two piece AP front discs, but they are v. expensive. I ran those with Ferodo DS2500 pads at the front and standard / Bosch at the rear and the brakes were great. For a cheaper option try Godspeed brakes, I think they may do grooved single piece discs. Oh, another way to check on front brakes is that the discs and pads are the same size / fit as the Megane 225/230. Don't think the rears are though.

Good luck!

says it all really!

if you just want a bit of an upgrade do standard front and rear discs and fit ds2500 to the front and standard pads rear

will be worthwhile a fluid change as well

Talking ''upgrade'', I am looking to fit a front two piece set but I can't find anything for the rear. Is there an upgrade rear disc set in the market for the clio?

Really not necessary, the rears don't do that much work and are unlikely to get hot enough for noticeable fade. What is the purpose of your proposed upgrade? Aesthetics, track use?

If you are really concerned then go for DS2500 or a similar pad to match your uprated front pads, but there is no need or benefit in going for a two piece, drilled or grooved rear disc.

Really not necessary, the rears don't do that much work and are unlikely to get hot enough for noticeable fade. What is the purpose of your proposed upgrade? Aesthetics, track use?

If you are really concerned then go for DS2500 or a similar pad to match your uprated front pads, but there is no need or benefit in going for a two piece, drilled or grooved rear disc.

Cheers Ralphy, that was quite helpful. While I was thinking to upgrade the fronts I'd thought to have a look for the rears as well so as to go for the whole package once and for good and not to mess with the brakes again. To be honest the purpose is both track and aesthetics but I can't justify paying loads JUST for aesthetics. I suppose the fact that the majority of Clio owners haven't bothered with the rears says something..

I got 2-piece grooved discs and although I'm sure they help to stop glazing I'm not sure there's any big advantage to me. Wouldn't bother if buying again.

Wow - this is so helpful!

Thanks everyone so far. Where would people recommend buying brakes from?

I'll keep peeps posted on my purchase and reasoning, when it happens. :smile:

For standard Renault parts TwingoGeekeo wont be beaten.

K-Tech offer some good brake options also.

Pretty sure megane 230 (f1) as farther in law has one. Brakes come grooved/drilled as standard. Fronts deffo do, and also sure they fit the Clio. (fronts)

Try Karl, says ring or prices on these.

Pretty sure megane 230 (f1) as farther in law has one. Brakes come grooved/drilled as standard. Fronts deffo do, and also sure they fit the Clio. (fronts)

Try Karl, says ring or prices on these.

rears are different!

Cheers for the input everyone! I am buying some Renault brakes off Karl - his price is too good to resist and I'll be saving over £100.

Had there not been an offer, I'd have no doubt gone down the uprated route.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers for the input everyone! I am buying some Renault brakes off Karl - his price is too good to resist and I'll be saving over £100.

Had there not been an offer, I'd have no doubt gone down the uprated route.

Thanks again everyone.

this way is a straight forward take off and bolt on :tongueout:roud:

I've never done anything like this before. My Mechanic wants £150 to do it.... Is it an easy job then Si?