The highs and lows of trackdays

Attended a trackday at Snetterton yesterday, first time there but to be honest i wasnt taken by the track. It was a little boring compared to the likes of Brands Hatch and Donington!

Anyway a good and major event free day was had by most except a caterham which hit a wall head on and got the front tyres to buckle in and touch eachother and an arse clinching moment when my questionable driving talent ran out trying to keep an R26.R behind me and i ventured over the rumble strip of an exit and well into the dirt/grassy area of nowhere lol, no damage done except a bruised ego and an embaressed overtake by a laughing Megane owner :worried:

The last session of the day was when the entertainment really began. As i was blasting round the track quite happily i all of a sudden noticed blue clouds of smoke coming from my footwell near the pedals. Thinking it was an electrical fire i pulled over on the side of the track, fire extinguisher in hand and both me and the misses evacuated. Luckily the car didnt go up and i returned it to the garage, had a good long inspection but nothing seemed faulty so i guessed it was brake smoke coming in from the bay.

So after a long day of racing ( i was up at 4am to get there ) i headed home, cautious of the car of course. I got about 2 miles out of the track before the magic smoke appeared again and this time left me stranded on the hard shoulder of a busy dual carriageway. Having no recovery cover i gave Matt @ TDF a quick call for some advice and he very kindly offered to pop down the road and have a look. Upon inspection, at this point daylight failing us, we found the breather under the bonnet was exhausting massive amounts of smoke which had obviously been getting drawn into the cabin when the car moved over 20mph. Diagnosis: Blown head gasket :worried:

I said i'd drive it back regardless but was advised this could turn a slightly ill engine into scrap so once again i was saved by TDF who returned to HQ to collect a trailer for recovery. This left me on the hard shoulder in total in pitch black for about 5 hours and it was freezing, unable to start to car for the heaters as the cabin filled with oily smoke in seconds. The misses was not impressed!

Anyway once back at TDF at approx. 1am Matt kindly drove us to the nearest hotel where i spent the night and had to call for my good old dad to pick me up this morning, he arrived at 11am today and i finally returned, very tired and desperate for a change of cloths, about 2pm this afternoon after setting out 4am the previous day, minus one very sick clio 197 :worried:

Trackdays and modified cars ay, you gotta love it!

Ouch mate not good! I can relate to the 4am for a trackday thing, other than Donington im essentially in the same boat.

Head gasket failure on a Mk3 clio? I havent seen anyone else experience that one yet, does Matt have any idea what might have caused it?

No he was suprised too, only quoting it will need some 'interesting investigation'. I wouldnt mind but its not like i was bouncing off the limiter all day. Shifting at 7000rpm to look after her everytime :worried:

I dont blame the car, you have to expect such problems when you mess about with the setup to the extent i have and trackdays can be stressful on any car.

Not good news . . . HOWEVER it is GREAT news that Matt was so helpfull and managed to sort you out with hotel etc .

Thats the thing i had with the astra it was by far the quickest thing on pretty much every track day i went on but it all comes at a cost if its not breaking down it diff services brake pads @ 400 a pop discs at £1000 a set lol

all add's up weather its broke or not :worried:

To say he saved my bacon is an understatement! And it's in the best possible hands for a professional repair. First time the 197 has left ms stranded but that's how it goes sometimes, just glad it popped at the end of a days racing rather than session one.

Yeh it's bitter sweet, sad it happened , good it's getting fixed by a pro.

We can hook you up with one of the TDF exhausts soon :smile: lol You need one of those in your life.

Sounds like an eventfull day, well done TDF for going the extra mile :thumbup:

Bad times mate, but jesus you can't ask for better service than that. I mean thats really above and beyond!

Like you said you've done a lot of work to the car (your running Nitrous aren't you) which is surely gonna raise your temps and pressure so I suppose it's to be expected at some point.

Hopefully you get it sorted soon mate :smile:

Oh mate sorry to hear that. It must have been a very very long day...glad you got it sorted, Matt from TDF must be a really top bloke. HGF on a 197? Wow that's a first, if you don't mind me asking to what extend have you modified your engine?

Well at this point the head gasket is a likely assumption, it could be piston ring broken down however this is unlikely as it picks revs up smoothly although it struggles to idle at present.

Engine mods:
ITB kit on standalone EC1 ecu.
Catcam 401s with vernier pulley on exhaust cam, retaining VVT on inlet.
Stage one ported head, ARP head stud kit.
Direct port 50bhp shot nitrous.
ARP con rod bolts.
8000rpm limiter.

I'm not 100% sure as to what caused the failure as of yet but the engines been operating faultlessly since the most recent work, it was running beautifully on track :worried:

Gutted for you Ben, though would have loved to hear your car out on the track. Must sound mint.

Well at this point the head gasket is a likely assumption, it could be piston ring broken down however this is unlikely as it picks revs up smoothly although it struggles to idle at present.

Engine mods:
ITB kit on standalone EC1 ecu.
Catcam 401s with vernier pulley on exhaust cam, retaining VVT on inlet.
Stage one ported head, ARP head stud kit.
Direct port 50bhp shot nitrous.
ARP con rod bolts.
8000rpm limiter.

I'm not 100% sure as to what caused the failure as of yet but the engines been operating faultlessly since the most recent work, it was running beautifully on track :worried:

Bloody hell that is a monster you got there my friend! It must sound absolutely mental. I take it that Matt is the person behind that masterpiece...
Again, gutted for you, hope all goes well!

It sounds well, my ears were still ringing this morning from the noise.

Cheers for the comiserations fellas, it's got me a little down but i kind if expected this sort of thing when i started messing around with it to such an extent. It was brilliant when it worked and that's what counts to me lol :smile: aslong as it drives for FCS I'm sorted!

YEOUCH! Blimey Ben you know how to enjoy a Saturday!

Hopefully it can be sorted soon and reasonably cheap!

Gotta say though, every single time i see the words TDF or Matt Faulks, ALWAYS followed by praise.