The crunchy 197

It was less than stated on the site, but collectively we’ve ordered 3 between me and my mates.
He did have them on sale for a little while too, so potentially worth a message/email before ordering.

I still need to order myself some bearings and seals still. Think I’ll take the opportunity to replace the slave, even though it’s done maybe 2-3k miles

It was less than stated on the site, but collectively we’ve ordered 3 between me and my mates.
He did have them on sale for a little while too, so potentially worth a message/email before ordering.

I still need to order myself some bearings and seals still. Think I’ll take the opportunity to replace the slave, even though it’s done maybe 2-3k miles

:thumb: what spec did you get? Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it they seem to have great reviews.

Tarmac race I believe. 45/60 ramp angles and 120nm. I just checked on the Pure site and it’s still showing as on sale

My plan is to use some friction modifier if the clamping load is too much.
I drove my mates just round the yard outside my unit, and the difference was quite noticeable.

Really looking forward to how it performs on track.

Tarmac race I believe. 45/60 ramp angles and 120nm. I just checked on the Pure site and it’s still showing as on sale

My plan is to use some friction modifier if the clamping load is too much.
I drove my mates just round the yard outside my unit, and the difference was quite noticeable.

Really looking forward to how it performs on track.

I think you’ll be impressed. Really drags the car out of corners with pretty much no wheelspin unless it’s soaking wet. I’ve followed Clios on track without an LSD and I can get on, and crucially stay on, the gas much earlier in the corner phase. Getting on the power right on the apex without having to feather the throttle makes a more enjoyable experience. Come to Donington on Wednesday and have a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSRowe
I’d definitely take you up on the offer if I was physically able to fit in your seat :tearsofjoy:

Think it might take a little while to get used to driving it differently too

My seats are the fat boy version, I’m 6’1 and 120+kg and they fit me fine [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting thing to be aware of aswell for those of you thinking of having your box rebuilt……

This is the cost of completely refreshing the gearbox internals. Appreciate the synchros other than 3rd and 4th generally don’t need switching, but having to replace the synchro hub on 3/4 soon makes up for the difference in price.

A4CFF580-CD1F-48A1-87D9-56D79DBBAEC0.png

Not really a much of an update. But it’s all back together.
The 003 box which came out the car was purchased at the start of 2020 from Renparts in Doncaster. Sold to me as refurbed, which I do genuinely think it was, as it was covered in sealant and had the updated steel synchros…. It was clear it had just had a 3/4 synchro replace, and not a proper build.

It had been making a fair bit of noise for a while, and upon stripping, nothing really seemed untoward except for the masses off black silicone sealant throughout the box. It was everywhere!!!
This is ultimately what’s lead to its demise, as all the oil galleries were blocked up, and this has caused all the bearings to overheat. My high quality bearing puller gave up half way through the job which was pretty useful

688AFE15-417A-41E0-8A79-85E3D99FE5BD.jpeg

I’ve actually got 2 spare boxes aswell as this one. One is out on loan atm, and the 024 spare was originally stripped down in 2018 back when my dad had his garage.
Ben decided that we would take the good bits from my knackered 003, and build a Frankenstein out of the 024.
He built it up, gave it a spin over by hand and it was making a not so smart noise.

Back apart it came, and it turned out I had misplaced the output shaft preload washer when I stripped the box back in 2018. Since then the parts have been moved to my unit, and then sat in Ben’s garage for 12 months…. The missing shim isn’t available to buy, and measuring for a replacement is quite tricky.
Luck was on my side though, as I had recalled seeing a larger washer/on the side of one of the work benches at the unit (my dad hoards everything)

Im not entirely sure how, but it turned out the washer was indeed the right one.
So the cars all back together now. Pretty much all ready for Snetterton now

69AC0AFD-7764-4126-8E57-E4083ACEE740.jpeg

445B668B-2366-421D-977F-68C988610F11.jpeg

Initial impressions - I’m surprised how quiet it is. Given that I’ve had the highest clamping, and most aggressive ramp angles, it’s not even that bad.
It’s nothing like the 3J my mate had in his car. That thing would click constantly, and you could feel it notching from side to side going down the motorway.

Really looking forward to getting it out on track now. I think it’s going to require a lot of learning.

Bit late, but gotta keep the thread up to date.
Pre-Snetterton spanner check identified the possible cause for my low rev misfire which was progressively getting worse after the last trackday. (Notice how half the plug is melted too)

E9A97AEF-B556-4E25-BD57-99ED282AEBC4.jpeg

I won’t bore you boys with a repeat of the all antics of the trackday. But in brief, it was difficult to learn, you need some big plums for a lot of the corners, and we were told off before it was even dinner time for driving too close.
After dinner we were told we were only allowed out in pairs. We ended up with @IainMac sandwiched between us - was a great session!
Compilation video which you’ve all definitely seen before.

Also please note during the first clip, that @Big Ben just couldn’t keep up with the relentless, consistent pace of the N/A Baguettes.

Gripper diff really has made a difference, though it took some getting used to. My brain still hasn’t quite figured out that more throttle equals less understeer. It’s a great feeling mashing the throttle and the car just pulling through the corner!

Cadwell next Thursday, which has the makings of a good day, as all the YouTube/Social Media celebrities are going for some FWD showdown thing.

Bit late, but gotta keep the thread up to date.
Pre-Snetterton spanner check identified the possible cause for my low rev misfire which was progressively getting worse after the last trackday. (Notice how half the plug is melted too)

View attachment 147361

I won’t bore you boys with a repeat of the all antics of the trackday. But in brief, it was difficult to learn, you need some big plums for a lot of the corners, and we were told off before it was even dinner time for driving too close.
After dinner we were told we were only allowed out in pairs. We ended up with @IainMac sandwiched between us - was a great session!
Compilation video which you’ve all definitely seen before.

Also please note during the first clip, that @Big Ben just couldn’t keep up with the relentless, consistent pace of the N/A Baguettes.

Gripper diff really has made a difference, though it took some getting used to. My brain still hasn’t quite figured out that more throttle equals less understeer. It’s a great feeling mashing the throttle and the car just pulling through the corner!

Cadwell next Thursday, which has the makings of a good day, as all the YouTube/Social Media celebrities are going for some FWD showdown thing.
I think I need a bigger turbo:thumb:

Cadwell. Red flags galore, and a paddock full of wankers with motorbikes. Was still a good day though!

Car is definitely the fastest it's ever been.
Were nudging 1:45's just before dinnertime, which is 4 seconds faster than the Time Attack Clio 200 round there.

20210916_090646900_iOS.jpg

20210916_091231100_iOS.jpg

Had a real good little battle with a lad I know with a real quick Focus. Obviously he was absolutely murdering me on the straights

A knock on the front brought the play to an end for me around 2pm. Suspect it's probably the steering rack which has come loose. Seen it a few times on friends cars now.

Went for a bit of a tour of the track whilst everyone was out on their last sessions

B662D31B-350D-49C7-B9CA-4C4125D8BD78.jpeg

Last edited:
I run what’s left of them currently. They’re taking a hammering with me being so low.
The new ducts are defo gonna require some cutting across the bottom.

56141227-5F68-4994-B319-E1A3200840E0.jpeg
I did run without them for a while, and the amount of crap and crud which got everywhere was silly. The noise was silly too - especially in the rain or when you went over the tiniest amount of gravel.

It’s water getting into the electric box in the passenger arch which worries me. That’s why I’ve always tried to run them

It’s water getting into the electric box in the passenger arch which worries me. That’s why I’ve always tried to run them

Yeah it just needs them covered or weathering, as at your height they're just gonna disintegrate and we ain't paying those prices! (E36 ones are even more than Clio ones lol)

They were about 300 a side for my old Focus…. USED!
Thankfully we aren’t white there yet for the Clios

• Wow
Reactions: suj
:thumb: have you cable tied the exit? I trimmed the arch liner which works well and also keeps the duct in place.

Reactions: RSRowe