tar remover

Hi, I'm after some advice, Ive just got the car and it hasn't really been looked after in the cleaning area, full of little stone chips and covered in tar. It's a nimbus 197.
What I'm after is advice on how to remove all the tar. Ive tryed the auto glym stuff n I'm not that impressed, unless I'm using it wrong. Is there any other products I could try or methoods.
I know that the stone chips will Probs need painting unless there Is some magic that can be done?
Will the car benefit from a claying if so what make Is the best?

Many thanks Paul

Valet Pro Citrus Tar & Glue Remover is brilliant. You can get it at a few places, around £10 a bottle but last ages. With that, you apply it to a clean cloth and run the cloth over the tar'd areas, leave for a few seconds to start to work and then rinse off with water. Repeat until it's gone. Depending on how long it's been on there, you might need to do it a few times.

Stone chips are stone chips. You can cover them to an extent with some polishes that contain fillers but you'll never get rid of them unless you respray or touch-up. Prevention is better than cure, make sure you buy some decent wax or sealant and keep it topped up. You're never going to stop stone chips happening, but the more protection your paint has, the better.

I've used Clay from Sonus and Auto Glym, both did the same thing, although the Sonus is very soft and tends to stick to your fingers. It's very easy to damage the paint with Clay if you don't keep the panels nice and wet. It's amazing at what comes off the car with Clay, but it does take a while and it's not something you need, or would want to do every week. A couple of times a year is enough, with a good polish and wax/sealant after you've used it.

This is just from my own experience, I'm no expert, but I do like fiddling. :smile:

Thanks Willis, ill look for that tar remover, I know it will take some time but ill get it gleaming like new lol.

No probs!!! It's always worth putting the time in when you step back with a brew when you're finished and she's gleaming. And then it rains. :smiley:

I'd say with the sh!t weather coming up soon, just give her a good clean and stick some wax/sealant on. Unless you've got somewhere inside to work that is. I gave mine a good going over about 5 weeks ago and that'll be it now until February, just a good clean every fortnight but no big detail again until the weather perks up.

I've got a load of poorboys stuff so as soon as I get the tar remover ill put it inside for a long weekend and just be a cleaning whore I think. Found it for £7 on cleanyourcar.com so Ill order some up, probably spend a fortune on there lol

Hahaha that shop ruined me once!!! I bought more or less one of everything. :smiley:

But, once you've got a load of stuff it does tend to last, so it's not so bad. There's a place near me that sell everything and detail cars as well, really good bunch of lads and always got time to give advice and answer questions. The missus takes my card off me if I say I'm going for a walk round for a chat, I can't be trusted in there with money. :smiley:

Hi Paul,

You might be interested in some of the decontamination products we sell:

Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Clay Kit (55g clay & lubricant) - £11.39 delivered
Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Clay Kit (110g clay & lubricant) - £15.39 delivered
Dodo Juice Supernatural Tar & Glue Remover 500ml - £13.29 delivered
Dodo Juice Tarmalade Tar Remover 200ml - £14.99 delivered

We also sell clay and lubricant separately if you just want one or the other.

Thanks, Matt

Definitely Tardis - the Valet Pro stuff is good too, but not quite as competent.

I might have to try this Tardis, one thing I have noticed with the VP stuff is it's rarely one wipe to remove, athough it is a lot better than the Auto Glym stuff.

Definitely worth a try. The new Auto Finesse one is as good too, and will be more readily available, but it's not out just yet...

Similar Thread Suggestions