Superchips update

Thought I would give an update on my superchips, mainly for info for those considering it as an option. Initially had an issue with the car going into limp mode as certain speeds and revs, received an updated version from Michael as superchips which solved the issue. The car seemed less rapid in 2nd but still rapid, the difference from stock to mapped is vast and for me transforms the car. I know a lot would avoid the bluefin but for me it is perfect due to the function to set back to standard in 2 mins for warranty work. So on a trip to Edinburgh and clear stretch decided to open it up, at which point something has went on the car. Best described as miss firing at 2000 rpm then seems fine and the same happens up to 3.5 rpm and 5 rpm. Superchips have tried to tone down the power but to no avail. Have had the car on a diagnosis but no fault codes. Stuck the car back in standard and all is fine. Can only assume the extra power etc shows up the issue. Got the car booked into Renault for check up and my best guess is cracked spark plug or a coil has gone. Oddly on a cold morning it is fine once the temperature goes up the issue seems worse, potential air intake issue? I would like to point out superchips have been spot on and they have a 200 t in shortly so they will know better about the issue. Have looked elsewhere but no one seems to have anything at the moment. Once I know the issue I will update the post, if anyone has had similar issue I would appreciate any words of advice.

Seems wierd that it's only when warm

Just a shame tbat both people that have had the mapping have had similar problems

I couldn't be doing with the fact the the map seems completely unreliable

If everything is fine with the std map then i dont see how it's an issue with a cracked spark plug or faulty coil

Seems wierd that it's only when warm

Just a shame tbat both people that have had the mapping have had similar problems

I couldn't be doing with the fact the the map seems completely unreliable

If everything is fine with the std map then i dont see how it's an issue with a cracked spark plug or faulty coil

was thinking exactly the same...

wonder if the engine has some sort of protection mode if senses too much boost?

Hi mate, only thing I can think of is the extra torque etc is affecting something, the map was great up until this point. Superchips had a similar issue with a first st cracked sparked plug. It comes from the rear and the exhaust has what is best described as a pop pop pop then it goes and happens again. Strange if you dial the power in slowly it seems ok but floor it and the fault comes in. Would love to get it sorted due to the performance gains but I need to admit defeat at some point as I don't want to wreck my pride and joy!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust superchips for one second from people i've talked to with one on. Majority i've spoke to have had similar issues and a number that have then gone on to RR days have been warned their car is dangerously rich and i'm not just talking RS brand either.

I wouldn't trust superchips for one second from people i've talked to with one on. Majority i've spoke to have had similar issues and a number that have then gone on to RR days have been warned their car is dangerously rich and i'm not just talking RS brand either.

Sorry for my ignorance, what does dangerously rich mean?

I bought the bluefin for my old 200 last year. Pretty much as the OP has described it kept going into limp mode and messing up. Looked like it was the throttle map that was the issue, so had numerous new files back from Superchips to try and sort it but still had the issue. Ended up getting a refund after about 2 weeks.

Overfuelling could explain what you think is a misfire.

My VXR used to go into limp mode on boost, it was down to a faulty air flow meter.

My VXR used to go into limp mode on boost, it was down to a faulty air flow meter.

Thanks, will speak with Michael to see if he is able to work on anything, hoping Renault can shed some light on the issue. Only problem is the issue only happens with the unit on which for obvious reasons will be taken off before it goes in. Can Renault tell if it has a remap if I leave it on? Presume it would show up

I don't think renault will find the issue if it runs fine with out the map,

it depends if the Bluefin leaves a trace on the ECU, speak to superchips, they'll know.

Thanks, sure it is the air flow meter after looking at the symptons, lumpy when idle and lack of pack from 2000 - 3500rpm. Will be asking the chaps at renault to check this over. Also mentions the car may show up the issue more once it has been warmed up.

Thanks, sure it is the air flow meter after looking at the symptons, lumpy when idle and lack of pack from 2000 - 3500rpm. Will be asking the chaps at renault to check this over. Also mentions the car may show up the issue more once it has been warmed up.

Ur car dose not have a airflow meter man , sounds like a bad map/file just put it back to stock and enjoy ur car

Ur car dose not have a airflow meter man , sounds like a bad map/file just put it back to stock and enjoy ur car

Thanks Chris, interested to know how it moderates the air intake etc, the map was fine for 3 months then at excessive speeds something has gone on the car most probably caused by the map. If it was a bad map/file surely that would have been evident from the offset.

Thanks Chris, interested to know how it moderates the air intake etc, the map was fine for 3 months then at excessive speeds something has gone on the car most probably caused by the map. If it was a bad map/file surely that would have been evident from the offset.

that's not all ways the case , the ecu looks at the map sensor (manifold pressure) and tps to calculate load

Seems to me a familiar problem when remapping a forced induction engine, as I experinced exactly the same symptoms when remapped my seat cupra, the misfiring started after I drove the car a few thousand clicks. Fortunately though the seat tuning community had a solution and that is to replace the coil pack and spark plugs with a higher capacity ones, in this case stoke audi R8 parts, as these are compatible, sure enough this resolved the problem and no more trouble till date.

For starters, I suggest you start looking at the cup racer parts.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Renault replaced the coil pack today and all is well. Took it in with the chip on and no questions asked so seems it is not visible when completing a diagn checks etc. hope this helps others if they experience any similar issues.