Storing car over Winter - Advice/Tips wanted

matt9566

Paid Member
Hi Everyone

I'm just looking for a bit of advice.

I've recently moved back in to a Renault Sport in the form of an R26 (will update my old thread eventually - I much prefer this forum to the Megane ones!)

Whilst it's going to be no garage queen and I believe cars should be used, I am thinking of parking it up for the majority of winter and running a cheap diesel Clio in the meantime.

I'm a little reluctant to do this but I think think it makes logical sense but don't want to cause any issues to the car.

I have a garage, with electricity and was wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks/do's/don't when it comes to parking the car up over a period of time? Ideally from someone who does similar/runs a few cars with tried and tested methods.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Reactions: Joec1996
Id just park it and leave it.
Maybe put a battery conditioner on if you aren’t planning on disconnecting the battery

Reactions: matt9566
Thanks everyone, I had seen similar suggestions but just wanted to check that I wasn’t missing anything important.

Now the hard part, emptying the garage!

Don't know if you have already stored it yet, but i wouldn't brim the tank as you'll want fresh fuel in it when you come back to using it. Also bang the tyre pressures right up and put a couple of moisture traps in

Reactions: bedoef
Don't know if you have already stored it yet, but i wouldn't brim the tank as you'll want fresh fuel in it when you come back to using it. Also bang the tyre pressures right up and put a couple of moisture traps in
I always thought there was a chance of moisture building through condensation in an empty tank? Happy to be corrected though. I guess if it’s only a few months there’s not much to be worried about either way

I agree with this. Up the tire pressures so you dont flatspot them, and dont top up the tank. Gasoline starts to separate after only a few months, so youll want to leave room to get fresh fuel in the tank.

Reactions: Big Ben