Standard 197 wheel weight? How much can I save?

I think the standard wheels look neat but I'm looking for an alternative. Couldn't find anywhere the weight of the standard ones compared to lightweight alternatives (e.g. ultraleggera).

How big of a difference are we talking about?

Standards are definately 10 without tyres as I wieghed mine.
Anything less than 17" wheels won't fit over the front brakes...(although the R3 runs 16" wheels, not sure how.!)

Unless you fit smaller brakes, 17´s is what you need (for most rim designs). Removal of 8 kg unsprung weight is by rule of thumb like 40kg of sprung weight.

In gear performance, fuel economy, suspension, everything benefits from it. You will surely notice the difference!

PS: 2-piece brake discs is the next step :smile:

Last edited:
will reducing unsprung weight by 8kilos have much effect? also would 15's increase acceleration?? iv seen a few 1*2 track cars and fiesta st race cars sticking 15's on...how come?

Yes, reducing unsprung weight would have an effect on handling & acceleration.

15" would also have a negative effect on handling and a positive effect on acceleration - especially on the rolling starts because from 0 it would be more difficult to start without spinning the wheels more than before.

Oh, and BTW - you can't fit any wheel <17" on the 197. :smile:

Putting smaller wheels on reduces the rolling resistance and has the effect of increasing torque - basically it takes less effort for the engine to turn the wheels which should give a bit of help accelerating, but as you say you see it done on fiestas etc as it has a lot more effect on less powerful cars.

15" would also have a negative effect on handling and a positive effect on acceleration - especially on the rolling starts because from 0 it would be more difficult to start without spinning the wheels more than before.

^^^ what he says!

But you can get a 16 to fit :wink:

Very expensive wheels though.
But yep they do run 16". It's all down to the shape of the inner drum and back of the wheel face.

Yep... will have to investigate that!

Fronts on 195/45/16, slick tyres - like R888 or Michelin Cup, 1.6 bar....rears also on 16" but on 3.0bar and the narrower they are the better - less roll resistance (don't know how to write it in english - but the less friction the better for the rears). :lol:

Not sure keV.
The lad who used to be on the site from leicester that raced the R3 came to get a front bumper off me once told me they ran 16" for gravel with standard brakes.

really glad i joined this site...learning more everyday!