Stage 1 and pops and bangs remap opinions?

okay so I've been looking at going to RS Tuning for the above remaps. But I've read quite a bit that pops and bangs will ruin your engine. Anyone got any reviews on their map or personal experiences with them? Any info would be great...

I don't know about ruining the engine but the cat won't last long. My car has been remapped by rs tuning and it pops fairly regular anyway, not excessive but I would think that it would get irritating after a while popping and banging whenever you lift off. But I've never been in a car that's been mapped to do that.

I've heard of Paul at RS telling people not to do one unless they decat as it'll destroy the cat but beyond that I can't see how it'd harm the engine.

full decat here including manifold with crackles/pops from k tec and it's fine. Only does it at 4k + revs too what's nice.

If it's banging then that can be a sign of over fuelling and too much of that can cause bore wash which is what I suspect they are referring to when they say 'ruin your engine'. Google it.

Heard too many stories about pops & bangs, whether they are true, I couldn't tell you. Go crackle map [emoji106]

Mine is standard and pops and bags with an Akropovic exhaust[emoji108] I think mapping for noise is pointless, but if noise happens as a result of increased performance then that's an added bonus[emoji41]

You won't get bore wash from a pop and bang map, its not that rich :smiley: Ignition retard is the normal way of acheiving it but net result is a surplus of fuel at a specific point.
I agree fakery is a bit ****e. But if you have an ECU that supports switchable maps then why not have one for a laugh sometimes. Cars should be enjoyable and every now and then why not. Hell mine bangs a lot and if it's wet and cold for some reason it's like a big band out the exhaust! Still want more every now and again :smiley:

It does it by carrying on injecting fuel with no throttle but no spark thus unburnt fuel get into the exhaust and gets the fuel hot then will ignite with the oxygen at the end, it's not running rich, it is just injecting fuel with no throttle which generally fuel injected cars don't do. With no throttle they use no fuel as they rely on the gearbox to keep them turning until it gets down to idle speeds (to improve fuel economy), If anything it will probably just be injecting small amounts of fuel (lean for the revs the engine will be at) to create the pops, letting the exhaust burn it instead of the plugs.

Last edited:
It is a slightly rich environment, I mean what do you think happens when fuel is injected on closed throttle and no spark! In addition to the fuel the ignition is retarded, I've spoken to 3 Renault tuners who've told me the same. Easy to work out anyway as to be a bit more specific the fuel is injected along with the retarded timing, so that the timing of these events work with the scavenging effect of the exhaust in conjunction with the intake and exhaust cam overlap. This is the effect of the exhaust pulses pulling fuel rich intake charge out the combustion chambers (hence why lairy cams do it without faking) and ignites in the hot exhaust.

The point is it's actually very little fuel needed hence you don't risk getting bore wash.

Last edited: