Stage 1 ignition

Does anyone know the procedure to get ignition to stage 1 ? Or diagnostics point ? Done the door open / in gear and hold for 10 secs but the lights go out on dash after a couple of seconds and need them to stay on
thanks

You need to get the car into "stage 1" or "maintenance mode" in order for the ignition to stay open to upload and download a map

usual procedure is -

unlock
get in
don't touch pedals (make sure its in neutral)
card in slot
press and hold start button until steering lock comes off and dash lights up

Yeah I do that and it works by getting the dash lit up but then all the lights start going off and I've been told I need them to stay on

Can anyone do me a massive favour and see if by doing this there lights on the dash stay on or start to go off leaving only the handbrake one lit

Do exactly what sir Fox has said. As soon as the steering lock is off you're on the classic pre-ignition phase were it a barrell. Iirc is the lights do go out, it's not some super special maintenance mode where everything would stay lit - it's getting just pre-ign without a key.

When I OBD scan for example you need to do this procedure too.

How about models without start button? Using key only?

Are you ****ting me???? Just turn the key around but don't start it!!!!!
Been a while since I had a barrel but I think it's 2 clicks; first is accessories, then you have on - just don't go full rotation to cause a start contact obvioulsy.

if you put the key in the slot with the car in gear and press start, foot on brake, the ignition goes on immediately.

Last edited: