So just had my MOT

Handbrake failed :/ think its a hangover from all the time it's frozen on during the winter.

Also it was touch and go whether it would pass emissions test. He said he had to get it very hot and add some additives to the fuel to make it pass, even then I think he's doing me a favour by passing it on emissions.
So question is what could be the causes of this? Knackered lambda sensor maybe or something. It's running original cat with milltek catback, but I have noticed it sounding a bit weird, almost a bit 'snotty' through the exhaust at low revs with the window down.

Cheers

find out what part of the "emissions" test it isnt meeting first! then you will be able to hopefully find out causes for it to fail...

also make sure the entire exhaust system is gas tight or it will throw out the lambda on the test

Did they charge you for said fuel additive? If so I suspect it was a way of squeezing extra pennies out of you. I doubt an additive would make the car run cleaner the minute you add it to the tank.....

I could be wrong, it's not unknown!

Did they charge you for said fuel additive? If so I suspect it was a way of squeezing extra pennies out of you. I doubt an additive would make the car run cleaner the minute you add it to the tank.....

I could be wrong, it's not unknown!

I know of quite a few people / places using a rather sizeable dosage of redex as a last resort to getting the emissions down a little bit..

check for exhaust leak after the cat....

system needs to be leak free for correct readings!

Just to update on this, as I have only just find the time to look for the leak, which I've found!

It's the joint between the centre box and the cat - directly AFTER the lambda sensor where my milltek system is connected to the original system. Despite the u-clamp being torqued tight there is plently of give between the two pipes, with all the visible signs of leak (soot and condensation leaking from it).

I'm getting it fixed tomorrow but I'm wondering how this would effect my original problem (car running rich) because it's after the lambda and wouldn't interfere with it's reading? Or is that a really naive way to think haha....