Slight clunk when pulling away when cold..

As title says, its more of a knock/clunking noise..

Saw a thread about it the other day but cant find it again, noticed it only happens as I go over 10mph for the first time from cold.

Engine mounts or something?

Yeah if you push the mount from side to side it with ease then it could be gone. [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] is in talk with powerflex at the moment about engine mounts so keep an eye out as you won't need that mount if the others are upgraded

Ah nice one, thanks mate.

So all it is, is movement on the mount.. wont affect anything? Just a sound while pulling away when cold yeah?

Jup, there's no problem with driving it normal if it's only the top mount.
But if the mounts are loose, the clonk should repeat more often when driving.
Next to Trees tip you could try pushing the engine back/down into the car by hand, if everything feels firm, the mounts could still be fine.

It could also be the ABS/ESC selftest.
My twingo RS had this when starting from cold and doing a bit more than walking speed and I noticed it on my clio sometimes.
It's only one short clonk from under your feet.
This also appears if you drive slower after you had a harsh brake and the ABS had to step in.

Last edited:
Jup, there's no problem with driving it normal if it's only the top mount.
But if the mounts are loose, the clonk should repeat more often when driving.
Next to Trees tip you could try pushing the engine back/down into the car by hand, if everything feels firm, the mounts could still be fine.

It could also be the ABS/ESC selftest.
My twingo RS had this when starting from cold and doing a bit more than walking speed and I noticed it on my clio sometimes.
It's only one short clonk from under your feet.
This also appears if you drive slower after you had a harsh brake and the ABS had to step in.

This could sound about right yeah, also think my ABS cuts in more than it should. Although my last clio the ABS was very lively so just assumed its the same..

Mine was doing the same as soon as it was warm it stop clunking but if you grabbed the mount there was slight movement in it, I replaced the top engine mount and that sorted it.

Yeah if you push the mount from side to side it with ease then it could be gone. @Fernandez is in talk with powerflex at the moment about engine mounts so keep an eye out as you won't need that mount if the others are upgraded

Not engine mounts Elliot.. Mitchell got Powerflex to develop a suspension bush kit for the 197, I think they used his car which he's now selling.

I can do Vibratechnics engine mounts but be warned they are are hard and they vibrate.

I have a very similar knock, also does it as you let off the accelerator and let the car roll in gear. I've checked the top stabilizer mount and there does seem to be excessive movement so I've ordered a new one and should be fitting it early next week (Hopefully). Will report back when its done.

Just to confirm, this is the mount in question right?

car_photo_485812.jpg?itok=dynraNCw copy.jpg

If so, yes its moving from side to side when I wiggle it. Guess I need a new one?

Keep looking at K-Tec's mount kit...

Ha, well if you buy them I would be happy to try them on mine.... Before you make the decision lol :tongueout:

I think I will, might start with the lower tourqe mount to give the manifold a break an hope it doesn't crack/split.

Ha, well if you buy them I would be happy to try them on mine.... Before you make the decision lol :tongueout:

I think I will, might start with the lower tourqe mount to give the manifold a break an hope it doesn't crack/split.

Is this the one described as 'uprated lower stabilizer mount'?

Ah I see now, its completely useless once the K-Tec kit is fitted.

Whats this one?

www.k-tecracing.com-screen_2014-01-24_22-20-09.jpg