Simple man wanting a simple-ish clean. Am I on track?

Ola señores!

I've been searching and reading for the past week on detailling and I'm no clearer on the subject. Here is my plan:

Rinse the car
Two bucket method with Simoniz shampoo and microfibre mit
Rinse then dry with microfibre towels
Clay with bilt hamber (water with a few drops of shampoo as lube?)
Quick wash and clean
Then wax

I'm totally lost on the wax or as to what I'm supposed to do once I clay the car. I hear seal but I don't really know what that means. I want a simple and quick wax, liquid wax if possible better. Direct me in the right direction, please?

Kieron

change the wash/clean before the wax to polish.

as far as wax etc its personal choice. I use swissvax best of show. Very easy on and off.

change the wash/clean before the wax to polish.

as far as wax etc its personal choice. I use swissvax best of show. Very easy on and off.

Are polishes and wax generic or colour specific as mine is a pearl white? Also I youtube'd polishing and everyone seemed to be machine polishing. Seeing as I don't have a garage is hand polishing frowned upon or is it ok?

Cheers, Kieron

Bought some stuff after extensive research.

Bilt Hamber soft and regular clay (2x 200g bars).
Auto Finesse Tripple (polish)
Collinite 476

£75 worth of kit and I hear that's relatively cheap to whats available. £375 this month on the Clio and the insurance and service coming up next month, lovely... Anyway can't wait for the stuff to come! One or two weeks wait :worried: I'll defo post some pics up when I give it the clean.

Hi Kieron,

Here's a basic overview of the basic detailing processes/products for you:

WASH & DRY - shampoo, wash mitt/sponge, drying towel, 2/3 buckets, scratch shields
REMOVE TAR - tar remover, microfibre cloth
CLAY - clay, lube
POLISH - polish/pre-wax cleanser, microfibre applicator, microfibre cloth
PROTECT - wax/sealant, foam applicator, microfibre cloth
FINISH - protection detailer spray, microfibre cloth

WHEELS & TYRES - wheel cleaner, brush/mitt, tyre dressing, foam applicator
GLASS & TRIM - glass cleaner, glass cloth, trim dressing, microfibre cloth
INTERIOR - APC/interior cleaner, microfibre cloth
EXHAUST - metal polish, cloth

Kind regards,

Matt
Monster Detail

Hi Kieron,

WASH & DRY - shampoo, wash mitt/sponge, drying towel, 2/3 buckets, scratch shields
CLAY - clay, lube

Kind regards,

Matt
Monster Detail

I must have posted this moments after your latest post. :s

Thanks Matt!!

I'm only missing the tar remover and the wheel kit. I will gradually build up my kit and look forward to giving the car the clean it finally deserves. Got to do the pearlescent white justice.

I've got some sort of residue on the windscreen after I took the car to the paint shop. I'm guessing and hoping that the clay bar can remove it, that is in part why I also got the regular clay along with the soft.

One final thing, my dog has left needle like hairs in the carpet which are non movers with the vacuum. Is there anything out there that you'd recommend?

Regards, Kieron

Thanks Matt!!

I'm only missing the tar remover and the wheel kit. I will gradually build up my kit and look forward to giving the car the clean it finally deserves. Got to do the pearlescent white justice.

I've got some sort of residue on the windscreen after I took the car to the paint shop. I'm guessing and hoping that the clay bar can remove it, that is in part why I also got the regular clay along with the soft.

One final thing, my dog has left needle like hairs in the carpet which are non movers with the vacuum. Is there anything out there that you'd recommend?

Regards, Kieron

You won't be disappointed with AF tripple, excellent product, I love auto finesse gear.

Also with dog hairs what I've done because I go fishing a lot so carpets get all sorts of stuff in them, I vacuum it, then wipe with damp cloth, then vacuum, then spray some interior cleaner onto carpets, scrub with a damp cloth, then vacuum again, and just keep repeating this process, I'm sure there's an easier way but it works for me!

Hi Kieron,

CLAY - clay, lube

Kind regards,

Matt
Monster Detail

Hi matt,

Am I wasting my time washing the car again after the claying stage?

I'm not goin with lube as apparently (people quoting Bilt Hamber) say that it works well with just water. I might add a drop of shampoo for piece of mind though.

I also posted elsewhere the list of stuff I bought and someone mentioned that Auto Finesse Tripple affects the Collinite 476 finish and durability. Is this the case? If so I'll nee a suitable alternative polish as it's cheaper that the wax I've bought.

The world that is detailing lol...

Thanks Matt!!

Regards, Kieron

Animal hair can be very tricky to remove, especially when it's become ingrained in the fabric. There are various pet hair brushes and sticky rollers on the market that you can try using to loosen the hair. I've always found it ultimately just takes a lot of patience.

Hi matt,

Am I wasting my time washing the car again after the claying stage?

Washing the car after claying isn't essential (you've already washed it intially and no additional contamination has been added whilst claying). But clay/lube residue can be left behind so if you want to rinse or wash quickly before polishing, that's fine.

Last edited:
I'm not goin with lube as apparently (people quoting Bilt Hamber) say that it works well with just water. I might add a drop of shampoo for piece of mind though.

I also posted elsewhere the list of stuff I bought and someone mentioned that Auto Finesse Tripple affects the Collinite 476 finish and durability. Is this the case? If so I'll nee a suitable alternative polish as it's cheaper that the wax I've bought.

The world that is detailing lol...

I'd always use clay lube because it reduces the risk of marring, regardless of the clay that's being used. It's also pretty cheap, so not really worth leaving out.

For the price of lube you would be daft not to use it, using a mf cloth as you go to remove any lube residual so you don't need to re wash.

Also if you use tar/bug remover then you need to re protect the area.

I'd always use lube when claying. I'd also wash (or at least rinse) the car after de-taring, de-contaminating it and claying it. I wouldn't want to start polishing something with traces of clay, iron-x, tar remover etc all hanging around on the paint.

It'll take 2mins to give it a rinse and wipe down before you polish and then your working with the cleanest possible surface.

I'd always use lube when claying. I'd also wash (or at least rinse) the car after de-taring, de-contaminating it and claying it. I wouldn't want to start polishing something with traces of clay, iron-x, tar remover etc all hanging around on the paint.

It'll take 2mins to give it a rinse and wipe down before you polish and then your working with the cleanest possible surface.

Yep I always foam and give it a quick wipe and fallout and tar removal. Oh and never let it dry in the car.