Simple fix for Toyo manifold knocking

Just recently got into a 2011 RS200, and discovered that it's fitted with a Toyosport manifold which had the dreaded knocking when accelerating from standstill. After much forum research my understanding was that I'd need to fit Powerflex engine mounts to stop the engine movement, with the compromise of added NVH, or buy a different manifold.

I was all ready to order a better manifold from Kam Racing and pay close to £600 for the privilege, however just before doing so I fitted new engine and gearbox mounts as part of an overall 'refresh'.

Well, I'm pleased to say that the knocking has completely gone! Result! Saved myself £600, and didn't have to resort to the firmer Powerflex bushes and tolerate the extra NVH. Also, I found that there were lots of aftermarket suppliers of the engine mounts, so also saved myself £££ compared to Renault prices!

So, moral of the story: refresh your engine and gearbox mounts first, and that should cure your knocking without having to take more drastic measures :smile:

Last edited:
I tell you what I can save you even more money although the wear of the flexi joints is normally worn engine mounts over working the joints. There is adjustment in the position of the engine via the mounts mainly the lower and the torque upper mount but the gearbox one as well because normally the flexi towards the gearbox goes first, so to adjust the clearance slacken both off roll the engine to a position of better clearance without going too far then tighten the mounts up again and I agree the price of the genuine mounts are stupid but as we can see are made with a trade off between comfort and life. By replacing the engine mounts can help put off the manifold replacement for longer by reducing the movement starts to make sense but when the manifold needs done the engine mounts need looked at as well.

Reactions: Pav
It's the first thing every owner should do imo, or at least replace the mounts with OEM ones if you don't want the extra vibrations of the powerflex inserts. It's what I did and it's prolonged the life of the manifold by 3+ years and counting.

Reactions: Pav