Sideshowfreds Ultra Red 200 -- Fully Caged Track Toy

More progress, finally getting towards being done! New lower joints are in the outer hubs. Just need to get the old bolts out of the EE brackets now. Has anyone ever replaced just the rubber dust boot on the upper ball joints? I managed to split them whilst splitting the hubs and need to refresh them.

afa6e7683f8988758eca60f882fb2ded.jpg

Also had a nice delivery to help improve the brakes. Genuine cup racer calipers which is a nice bonus but it was more the PFC 08 pads inside that I wanted! Couldn't say no at the price they were. Just not sure whether to go with Silver calipers or stick wihh the factory fitted red ones.

752f12f1267a81136e32da2d5f8fda45.jpgd634372579c77a3a88750de47a414a94.jpg6fed6797e160cb15e0268203246ca637.jpg

Car is now back together after what feels like forever. I was amazed when I pressed the start button and it fired straight up given how long and cold it has been since it was last started.

To sum up the bits that have been done. No more squeaking from the lower ball joints which was nice, definitely needs alignment doing now though. The black series engine mounts create an awful lot of vibration but I'm sure they will come into there own on track.

Next jobs are getting the new brakes on, just waiting on some braided lines to arrive. Then it's alignment and time to enjoy it for the summer.

b704d52a90c0bc73a6c3d35876dadb73.jpga0727c9b841d870bc93fb8ca73f0228d.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Is there any difference in cup racer calipers over standard ones?

The only differences i can see so far is the etched RenaultSport logo on the outside face under the Brembo sticker and the fact they don't seem to come fitted with dust seals. Although that second point may be down to when/how they were last rebuilt. The main reason for getting them was the pads they came with and at the price they were i couldn't resist. Also, i'm trying to get as many cup racer parts on the car as possible. I've no idea why really but it makes me like it a bit more each time!

The only differences i can see so far is the etched RenaultSport logo on the outside face under the Brembo sticker and the fact they don't seem to come fitted with dust seals. Although that second point may be down to when/how they were last rebuilt. The main reason for getting them was the pads they came with and at the price they were i couldn't resist. Also, i'm trying to get as many cup racer parts on the car as possible. I've no idea why really but it makes me like it a bit more each time!
Oh I see yeah. Yeah them pads seem to have a fair amount of meat left! I get where you're coming from. Bit more racecar [emoji6]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sideshowfred
Another small job done tonight. I decided, along with some peer pressure, to re-do the seals on the new calipers before I put them on. This was mostly as they didn't have any dust covers on them, presumably the Cup Racer doesn't run them due to the amount of maintenance they would be given, but as my car is still used a bit on the road I thought they were worth having. I have to say it's probably the best £30 I've spent on this car so far.

Before

IMG_20190226_172736.jpeg

After

IMG_20190228_200152.jpegIMG_20190228_201619.jpegIMG_20190228_202141.jpeg

Another small job done tonight. I decided, along with some peer pressure, to re-do the seals on the new calipers before I put them on. This was mostly as they didn't have any dust covers on them, presumably the Cup Racer doesn't run them due to the amount of maintenance they would be given, but as my car is still used a bit on the road I thought they were worth having. I have to say it's probably the best £30 I've spent on this car so far.

Before

View attachment 131813

After

View attachment 131810View attachment 131811View attachment 131812

Well worth doing this unless your car is a full on track car and you’ll be stripping and cleaning the brakes on a regular basis.

They also seem to be slightly machined where the caliper bolts sit, most likely to allow for bigger discs/16 inch alloys to be used. I know the R3 spec calipers are also machined but to much more extreme levels.

They also seem to be slightly machined where the caliper bolts sit, most likely to allow for bigger discs/16 inch alloys to be used. I know the R3 spec calipers are also machined but to much more extreme levels.

I'll be honest, that's not something i had spotted so thank you for that. I know the calipers were shared between the X85 Cup car and the early X98 Cup's before they all went over to the PFC caliper. I believe the X98's run a bigger disc (330mm possibly?) so maybe there was a bit of extra clearance for that.

It would make sense on the R3's as i know they run smaller wheels for certain surfaces.

Reactions: DS197
A very productive day. New brakes are on and I'm looking forward to trying out the new combination. To recap they are Genuine Cup Racer calipers fitted with PFC 08 pads which are again a genuine Cup Racer part. I have complemented them with some braided lines from Pro-line Motorsport. I flushed through the system with some fresh dot 4 as I had been running dot 5.1. Once flushed I put my new fluid in which is Motul RBF660. Just got to find somewhere to bed the brakes in now before the track evening I have booked for 10th May.

ad3f8bc085a70f035e6ee863c6dc2bb8.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Been a little while since the last update. After a 3 week holiday in Australia I came back full of enthusiasm to get a few more bits sorted on the car. This started with a new steering wheel to replace the rather worn second hand one I put on last year.

Then with an impending Evo track evening I decided I really should get the alignment checked. I booked it to go to Northampton Motorsport the day before and prayed there would be no issues. A phonecall at lunchtime dampened my spirits. There is play somewhere in the steering rack. It's suspected that it's the inner tie rods so I am having to budget a change on those. Given it was the day before I asked if they could stick the machine on it and see just how out it was. I'm glad I did as it was miles away.

This then led onto a great evening at Bedford Autodrome. I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere at the Evo evenings. Knowing the car isn't 100% had me worried how well it would now handle. I was pleasantly surprised and had a very enjoyable evening giving the car hell. You can tell there is some play under heavy braking by nothing that wasn't manageable. I've already booked the September evening too so will try and get the car sorted before then. If not then it can be done over the winter as it doesn't get used a great deal.

IMG_20190427_165349.jpgIMG_20190427_171203.jpgIMG_20190510_173357.jpgimg_20190510_173249_0.jpgPR_190510_EVO_BA_0073.jpgPR_190510_EVO_BA_0198.jpgPR_190510_EVO_BA_0536.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk