Selling up soon...

Im going to be selling up soon. Id like something a little bigger, ive been looking at a mk2 seat leon cupra 2007. The insurance is cheaper, its a little better on fuel and its quicker. i know its not going to handle or be anywhere near as fun to drive as my clio. Ive (very quickly, which suprised me) sold all the aftermaket bits off the car apart from the ktr exhaust and carbon bonnet and doing this ive totally fallen out of love with the car.

has anyone had any experience with these?

Im not too sure which mk they are on with the Leons TBH. My dad had a 06 Leon FR which he loved for the power and torque. He only had it for 6mths while I had the Clio but they were pretty evenly matched on the straights, no question in corners. But it was nicely built and I liked the feel of it on the couple of times I drove it.

I would imagine the Cupra is even better with the added power. The one thing he did say is that the Cupra was bone crunchingly hard - not in a stiff chassis way like the Clio, more a bad setup of shocks/springs and low-profile tires. This was just on the test drive though so it might be better day to day depending on the road.

What else have you considered??? 225/250, ST, GTi, Astra VXR?

adamm is the guy to ask about Seats if you want a more informed opinion, they're a nice looking car and the FR diesel is supposed to be a good balance.

The FR diesel is the same engine as the Golf's and is/was available as a 170bhp unit which was very good fun! Also a couple of insurance groups cheaper than the equivalent Golf so pretty good buy IMO.

Them diesel VAG cars do seem good. It the leon a 'keeper' though? Something i think you would get bored of quickly.

You need to do a hell of a lot of miles to recoup the extra cost of a diesel. People buy them not realising this.

You would have to fill up a hell of a lot of times to get your money back. Then there's the cost of changing car, getting your arse felt on the trade in value of your part ex and adding trick bits to the new car etc etc. An 'economical' diesel isn't that economical after all unless you do mega mileage.

It's 240bhp petrol I'm after not the diesel. It's only going to be used at the weekend so running cost arnt a problem. It's just a bonus that it cheaper to insure. I pay 700 for me and the other half on the Clio, the Cupra is 550 to insure even though it's group 17. I've been looking into what you can do to them and for little money you can get them to 300bhp with a stage 1 remap and even to 360bhp for around 1500 for a stage 2+. Don't get me wrong, I love the clio, I've just got bored and fancy a change! I know i'l probably regret selling it and end up with a clio again in the future, I just fancy the Cupra for a while.

I've got all the money back I put into the Clio, and I hopefully won't lose too much on the car. It's my 2nd 197 in a year.

Last edited:
Ive had no experience with these but i loved my mates old leon cupra R!! Epic power in any gear and thought there handled ok. No where near as bad as they are made out to be. I also thought they were fun as well!! So hopefully the new versions are the same!!

^^^If you wanna tinker with it, REVO in northampton are the company to go with!!