scary moment in the Clio!

currently have the man flu and wanted to get home from work. I left at 6pm yesterday and the roads were empty! must have been due to the brilliant weather we have had.. anyways I was entered the motorway and coming off a roundabout on to a slip road (we're talking a hugee round about with straights on it).. now I was maybe going a little too fast but I ended up getting understeer which I corrected I then got oversteer again corrected and to finish it off the back of the car slid!.. checked my tyre pressures and they are all ok.. anyone any ideas?? I'm thinking the road may have been dusty!

Lack of skills. LOL.

A select few roundabouts near me are VERY greasy/oily/slippery. Maybe just the something on the tarmac pal.

@curley :clap: haha most likely :mellow:

@smile ESP was on that was the worrying thing :worried: esp light didn't flash but its deffo working this morning under a hard gear change it flashed

I did something similar a few months back. I blamed it on the fact my tyres were barely legal with the tread. You checked that? Needless to say I ordered some new ones the next day lol

I wouldn't worry about it, it happens. You won't be taking that roundabout fast again though. When I spun mine it was wet and I came over a small hill and just lost traction... I was going way too fast for the wet though. Luckily it was late and the roads were empty so I didn't hit anything. I don't drive fast anymore haha

haha yeah I know lesson learnt I've been that fast and faster round it previously I just assumed oh its dry, the roads are clear etc etc etc. then again assumptions are the root of all evil!!!

If you corrected the understeer by lifting off completely then that can cause the rear to become mobile, especially if road is a bot slippery.

Yes, difinitely sounds like carrying to much speed on the turn in then lift-off oversteer.

Lucky it was quiet but a good lesson I guess.

Yes, difinitely sounds like carrying to much speed on the turn in then lift-off oversteer.

sounds like that

be prepared if you go in hot and lift the rear can start to come round - if you catch it it can be fun but if your not prepared for it....brown trousers :tongue_smilie:

If u come into a situation where u have oversteer again mate, always remember in front wheel drive cars such as ur Clio. If the back end starts to slide big time, look at the direction u want the car to point and slam the foot down so the front wheels spin, get traction and get u out of trouble. :smile:

I remember that too was brilliant to watch. I didn't fully lift off as I crashed before in my first car doing that :worried: just going to fecking fast need to calm it down :worried:

The 197 has too much lift-off oversteer. If you're not careful it's easy to spin if the road is slippery.I always said it's a fun thing to have but lately i've been thinking it is maybe too much. I have spun 3 times already on public roads. Luckily no serious damage or any harm. Just a bit of cosmetic damage the last time.

The 197 has too much lift-off oversteer. If you're not careful it's easy to spin if the road is slippery.I always said it's a fun thing to have but lately i've been thinking it is maybe too much. I have spun 3 times already on public roads. Luckily no serious damage or any harm. Just a bit of cosmetic damage the last time.

slow down going into the corner then, and/or don't lift off so violently as to upset the balance of the car....

I never found the clio to spin without any provoking (lift off, trail brake etc). As clio200cup says go slower into the corner so you don't lift off.

and that video is excellent, lol. i love watching platos' feet during test drives/road tests etc on telly. the footwork is emmense!!

slow down going into the corner then, and/or don't lift off so violently as to upset the balance of the car....

Have you ever driven on a Greek B-road? The grip is about 25% of that you have on your roads @UK or Germany,Italy,France. The lift-off doesn't need to be violent to upset the balance,even a mild reduce of gas input unloads the rear enough. It's a whole other ballgame over here. Thanks for the lesson though..:thumbup:

Similar Thread Suggestions