Scary mortgage home buyer stuff

So me and the other half get married next year and are looking at getting on the property ladder rather than renting. Went to a home buyer open thing this evening and after speaking to Mortgage advisors" we were told we could get up to £200,000!! Is it just me or does the thought of borrowing that amount of money scare the life out of anyone else?

Lol not as bad as I thought mate as its not much more than I pay rent wise every month for my 1 bed house :/ never looked in to it at all so tonight was an eye opener.

i bet you will pay back £400k on a £200k mortgage. In my experience if you want any form of life then only borrow half of what they say you can afford.

****EDIT****

i'm not betting £200,000 :tongueout:

Lol I'm more thinking of 160ish as would make our payments around 550 a month. And I think it's 3.something% was only rough figures I'm guessing but I was expecting to pay double what they've said. Being a plumber with an old man in the building trade I want a wreck of a place to do up :wink:

Its scary but you need to get on that ladder or if you wait and prices start going up again you will be screwed even more

Lol I'm more thinking of 160ish as would make our payments around 550 a month. And I think it's 3.something% was only rough figures I'm guessing but I was expecting to pay double what they've said. Being a plumber with an old man in the building trade I want a wreck of a place to do up :wink:

That's the issue, some of us ( Roy :wink: ) remember when you had to add a 1 on the front of that 3%

Lol I think it's all low now as they are trying to get people buying houses. There's not a chance I would borrow that amount as its insane. My plan has always been to do the first few up and make some money. Would be stupid not to with a dad that has 10guys on the cards :wink:

it just surprised me as I have never even looked in to before and after hearing the figures it didn't seem so bad.

Similar Thread Suggestions