Sat Nav and phone holder questions

160dmb

Paid Member
First question: My Carminat TomTom appears to have most roads showing correctly but when I get near my house it shows me driving across a field - anyone else seen this?

Following on: Is a map update likely to help fix the issue? Does anyone have another way of getting map updates apart from paying TomTom £49.95?

Last question - Phone holders - anyone got something like a Brodit for sale?

Thanks in advance

David

First question: My Carminat TomTom appears to have most roads showing correctly but when I get near my house it shows me driving across a field - anyone else seen this?

Following on: Is a map update likely to help fix the issue? Does anyone have another way of getting map updates apart from paying TomTom £49.95?

Last question - Phone holders - anyone got something like a Brodit for sale?

Thanks in advance

David

You can find the Carminat SD cards on eBay for slightly cheaper than what TomTom charge, the issue is that these will eventually be redundant as new roads are added to the map and you obviously have the risk of buying them through eBay and not working.

If you just need the UK & Ireland maps its £39.95 through TomTom if you look on their shop and that includes 4 updates throughout the year, personally I'd just go for that if you actually use the maps, then in a few years when certain new roads are starting to not be on there and bother you, update again.

As to whether it will solve your issue, I suppose it depends when the housing estate (I'm assuming this is the case) was built and how up to date TomTom's maps are, but they're one of the leading brands so I'd expect them to be on the ball with the updates and new roads etc.

Thanks for the heads up thou. I will use the TomTom official website to update - at least I have some comeback then.

The area I live in and the road in question existed way before the car was built (prob 1990 versus a 2011 car) which is why it is confusing that the location fails near my house but is spot on once I am a few miles away.

I wondered if this was a clever trick that TomTom employed to force people to upgrade but I have never seen it used before. I will change my “home” location to see if that has any effect.

If you update the SD card with the TomTom software you'll probably get a raft of GPS fixes, as for maps I'm sure I got an email a few years back saying they had stopped supporting the old Carminat SatNav and no more map fixes were coming out :think:

I've been caught out once before travelling around Birmingham city center and the TomTom had me driving around in circles, gave up and just pumped Google maps through the Bluetooth... :smile:

Not too sure, if you go to manage device and click on maps then "more info" you can see the version number... Mine must be a few years old.

2.jpg

As said, you can still get the 1yr update service by the looks of it...

4.jpg